Any “unique” sandwich ingredient combinations?

NoHuddleKelly12

19 hours ago, Gugny said:

Had grilled cheese sammies for dinnah last night.   Fried bologna and ham in a pan first.  American, mozzarella and cheddar cheese with both meats.  Phenomenal.

Never mind ghetto steak a couple of times a year, with onions and webers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

That sounds like something @plenzmd1 would do........

5 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Next tailgate we will have to see if he will try it. ?

ha..must say there is not very many foods/sammys that I cannot envision onions making better..but PB and onion..worth a shot a say

On 12/16/2018 at 8:23 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

An issue of the ‘Old Farmers Almanac’ years ago featured an article about growing, harvesting, and processing horseradish.  The author recounted seeing an elderly neighbour put peanut butter, cheddar, onion, and a healthy dollop of horseradish on a sandwich.  The geezer claimed it warded off most maladies.

And potential love interests ;) 

Just now, Gordio said:

When I was a kid I used to eat a wish sandwich all the time.  That is when you take to pieces bread, slap some mayo on it & wish you had some meat.  We were poor when I was a kid.  

My father talks about his childhood in that manner.  Had to wear socks on his hands in winter because they couldn’t afford gloves.  Family mainly survived by hunting/fishing.  And they ate EVERYTHING!  Haha.  

Needless to say my father still eats mayonnaise sandwiches to this day.  Makes me want to barf.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Gordio said:

When I was a kid I used to eat a wish sandwich all the time.  That is when you take to pieces bread, slap some mayo on it & wish you had some meat.  We were poor when I was a kid.  

52 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

My father talks about his childhood in that manner.  Had to wear socks on his hands in winter because they couldn’t afford gloves.  Family mainly survived by hunting/fishing.  And they ate EVERYTHING!  Haha.  

Needless to say my father still eats mayonnaise sandwiches to this day.  Makes me want to barf.

Before I was born, my parents were poor and also hunted for most of their meals.

We never had a ton of money, but definitely not poor. 

Anyway, I used to eat mayo sandwiches as a kid (sometimes nailed them with some ketchup).  I wonder if it's something my parents showed me.  I'll need to ask.

58 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Before I was born, my parents were poor and also hunted for most of their meals.

We never had a ton of money, but definitely not poor. 

Anyway, I used to eat mayo sandwiches as a kid (sometimes nailed them with some ketchup).  I wonder if it's something my parents showed me.  I'll need to ask.

@Gugny, this is so much better of a discussion to have with you then talking about the Patriots, lol. Mayo with ketchup goes great as a dip for fries and/or fish sticks! 

2 hours ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

Ham and swiss with lettuce, tomato, ranch and honey mustard.

Sesame seed bagel toasted with butter and tomato slices.

Way too normal for this thread! But sound really good nonetheless...

2 hours ago, Gordio said:

Miracle whip (salad dressing) is also a great Mayo alternative, provides a little bit of tangy bite to the flavor. 

8 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Way too normal for this thread! But sound really good nonetheless..

Every time I order that sub the person looks at me like I'm crazy. 

I can't believe I forgot one of my college favorites. Plain ham sandwich with Andy Capp Hot Fries layered on it. That was the shiiiit.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 12/15/2018 at 2:57 PM, WhoTom said:

As a kid, I ate bologna-and-jelly sandwiches. I don't know what compelled me to make one in the first place, but for some reason I liked the combo. I probably stopped eating them when I decided against a life of celibacy. (Either that or I just realized that they're gross and I was only eating them because it raised eyebrows.)

Today, I like PB&Js, and if we have a bag of tortilla chips that are down to the crumbs, I'll sprinkle in a layer of those. They add a nice texture, and the saltiness enhances the flavor of the PB while it complements the sweetness of the jam. My wife thinks it's a little weird, but so far, so good in the no-celibacy department. ?

Loved bologna and peanut butter as a kid.   Haven't eaten a slice of bologna in at least 30 years.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Loved bologna and peanut butter as a kid.   Haven't eaten a slice of bologna in at least 30 years.

The bologna I bought for my grilled ham/bologna/cheese sammiches was the first bologna I've bought in close to a decade.  It's so good ... and good FOR you, too!

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Miracle whip (salad dressing) is also a great Mayo alternative, provides a little bit of tangy bite to the flavor. 

This is worse than rooting for the Patriots.  It's even worse than dipping wings in ranch dressing.

• Haha (+1) 1