Do Russ Grimm and Brian Schottenheimer Regret Not Interviewing For Bills HC Position?

Back in 2009, Russ Grimm and Brian Schottenheimer turned down the opportunity to interview for the Bills vacant head coach position.

If you recall, Grimm was somewhat of a legend on the old BBMB.  So many fans wanted him as HC, despite never having ascending to anything higher than a position coach.  Yet some Bills fans really wanted Russ.

Brian Schottenheimer rode the coattails of a decent run with NYJ.  He was considered to be the “Hot” coaching candidate.  I can’t remember anyone being too Disappointed he turned down the Bills, but some felt slighted.

Long story short, Grimm was fired in AZ a few years later.  Still never ascended last OL coach and is now out of the NFL.  

Schottenheimer was fired from NYJ and was out of the NFL.  Now he’s made somewhat of a comeback with Seattle though I don’t think he’ll get any HC interviews

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:lol:

This was actually a serious question 

Just now, Augie said:

The last time I worried about history was when I was in High School, which was it’s own bit of history. Ancient history. 

Sure it’s definitely in the past, but fun to think about considering both men’s careers went down the toilet after declining a chance to interview 

1 minute ago, Phil The Thrill said:

This was actually a serious question 

Sure it’s definitely in the past, but fun to think about considering both men’s careers went down the toilet after declining a chance to interview 

I’m just glad it went down the toilet somewhere else. Just another example of poor decisions made during those days. Not that they would have been offered, but just having those who ultimately failed on the short list. 

20 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

A lot of that had to do with Raph as owner....Still opportunity knocks just once.  It was knocking back then and hadn’t knocked since.  

It's a legit question. I just think both Grimm and Young Shotty were thinking I will wait until a job comes along with a logical front office structure and an owner committed to winning.  The Bills had neither of those at the time...hence you end up with Jauron and Chan...

10 minutes ago, JoeF said:

It's a legit question. I just think both Grimm and Young Shotty were thinking I will wait until a job comes along with a logical front office structure and an owner committed to winning.  The Bills had neither of those at the time...hence you end up with Jauron and Chan...

Thanks, Ralph.:thumbdown:

1 minute ago, BuffAlone said:

What is the obsession with Marty today? Did he give his only daughter to you? Holy crap man...let it go!

Not just Marty. The whole damn Schottenheimer family is getting the business around here today. I don't quite get it either. Does Brian have a son we can piss on?

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Back in 2009, Russ Grimm and Brian Schottenheimer turned down the opportunity to interview for the Bills vacant head coach position.

In reference to Schottenheimer only, for the most part, the son or younger brother in sports sucks compared to the older one:

Marty Schottenheimer was better than Brian.

Peyton Manning is better than Eli.

Bum Phillips was better than Wade.

Wayne Gretzky was better than Keith.

Phil Niekro was better than Joe.

Joe Klecko was better than Dan.

Jim Kelly is better than Chad.

Lonzo Ball is better than LaMelo and LiAngelo.

Derek Carr being better than David, and Lane Kiffin being better than Monte are the rare exceptions. Also Stephen Curry being better than Dell Curry.

Edited by greenyellowred
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, greenyellowred said:

In reference to Schottenheimer only, for the most part, the son or younger brother in sports sucks compared to the older one:

Derek Carr being better than David, and Lane Kiffin being better than Monte are the rare exceptions. Also Stephen Curry being better than Dell Curry.

You can make a list arguing either way, this is not true for the most part.

You even go for a stretch with Jim and Chad.

8 hours ago, greenyellowred said:

Klay Thompson, Ken Griffey Jr, Andrew Luck, Clay Matthews III, Barry Bonds, Brett Hull, Kobe Bryant and Cal Ripken would all like to apply for inclusion into your club.  Archie Manning isn't quite sure what to make of it all and Nick O'Leary was last seen running from this thread with one glove on.  Even Marcia Clark and Mark Fuhrman know, These Gloves Don't Fit!

Edited by cwater10
accuracy

11 hours ago, greenyellowred said:

This is insane - there is just as good of a list going the other way.  Every individual person has to be viewed in their own light.  

What we do know is that siblings and children of pro athletes have great genetics and typically a better understanding of what it takes to succeed.  Sometimes that leads to them being better and sometimes they never live up to the hype, but the older brother/parent being better is not a valid point.