Bucky Brooks: The Blueprint Buffalo Should Replicate to Maximize Josh Allen's Abilities

26CornerBlitz

56 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's an important difference? Fine. Go over to the university and talk to other pedants there about it.

In the meantime the point here is that Josh doesn't make the ball available within catching distance as often as other QBs do. See how I avoided your petty distinction there? For the third post in a row, by the way.

But feel free to keep on with this. I'm talking football. If you feel the need to continue talking physics and linguistics, do so, but I just couldn't give a crap. I won't be listening.

You act like a child.  You're shown your wrong on something, then you take your ball and go home.

52 minutes ago, WhyteDwarf said:

Yeah, it's all about catch radius.  If the ball is only in that radius ~55% of the time (people here want to assume 5% is due to trash receivers dropping the ball), that's on the QB.

Allen ahs the ball within the catch radius of receivers a lot more than that.  You continue to not understand the slightest bit about stats.  How many throwaways did he have?  Tho

On 12/14/2018 at 6:03 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

Saquon Barkley validating Giants' decision; Pete Carroll for COY

By Bucky Brooks - NFL.com Analyst

Former NFL player and scout Bucky Brooks knows the ins and outs of this league, providing keen insight in his notebook. The topics of this edition include:

The Blueprint Buffalo Should Replicate to Maximize Josh Allen's Abilities.

All aboard the Josh Allen Experience? OK, it's definitely too premature to be comparing the Billsrookie quarterback to Michael Vick in any capacity -- as in, alluding to the former dual-threat playmaker's memorable Nike commercial. That said, it is time to view Allen as a unique talent at the position with an unorthodox game that can produce positive results.

Now, I will be the first to admit to being critical of the Wyoming product during the pre-draft process -- his scattershot accuracy was quite concerning -- but I did believe he could be a Cam Newton-like playmaker with a unique game that a team could build an offense around. When Buffalo selected Allen seventh overall, I immediately thought of Bills head coach Sean McDermott and general manager Brandon Beane, and how they'd both been in Carolina for Newton's MVP season that ended in the Super Bowl.

Then I saw Allen's second NFL start in Week 3, when he accounted for 235 yards of total offense and three scores in a 27-6 upset win at Minnesota. The shocking performance gave the football world a glimpse at Allen's talent and potential in an offense that's tailor-made for his skills as a mobile playmaker with A-plus arm talent.

Studying the All-22 Coaches Film from that stunning win over the Vikings, I noted that the Bills used a variety of designed QB runs and zone-read concepts to showcase Allen's talent as a runner. The 6-foot-5, 237-pound quarterback bedeviled Mike Zimmer's defense with his combination of skills as a run-pass threat at the position. From his quick-rhythm completions on screens to his teardrop-like deep balls to his impromptu scrambles, Allen terrorized the Vikings as a mobile playmaker. Although it wasn't always pretty, it was effective. And the Bills' coaching staff certainly flashed enough creativity to build a dynamic offense that would help the rookie play to his strengths as a runner and deep-ball thrower. That said, it was apparent Allen was still a work in progress as a QB1 and his coaches would need to find a way to minimize his weaknesses to give Buffalo a chance to win games.

After watching Allen become the first quarterback to rush for 100-plus yards in back-to-back games while surpassing Vick as the quarterback with the most rushing yards in a three-game span (335 yards from Week 12-14), I had to go back to the tape to check out No. 17's evolution over the course of his first NFL season. Before I really dug in, though, I took a look at Allen's numbers and was shocked by his inefficiencies as a passer. Allen ranks last among qualified quarterbacks in completion percentage (52.4), pass yards per game (169.4), touchdown-to-interception ratio (5:9) and passer rating (63.3). He also ranks 31st in yards per attempt (6.3). Those numbers are not inspiring, to say the least, but Allen was expected to struggle as a rookie starter, especially given Buffalo's suspect receiving corps. The Billsnot only lack a legitimate WR1, but the team doesn't have an established complementary playmaker outside of Charles Clay and maybe Zay Jones. To his credit, Allen has shown glimpses of being an effective passer between the numbers on intermediate routes like curls and digs. He also flashes enough arm strength to make "wow" throws on the move, which makes him a dangerous player.

Am I missing the part where we conclude what the blueprint is? 

5 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Am I missing the part where we conclude what the blueprint is? 

If the Bills can build a passing game that features isolation routes (slants, quick outs, skinny posts and comebacks) outside the numbers with some basic play-action passing concepts (post/dig/shallow cross) over the middle, Allen can become a competent passer with the capacity to succeed despite a low completion rate. Now, in order to enhance Allen's game, I would advise the Bills to add a speed receiver (vertical threat) and a big-body pass catcher (possession receiver) to the lineup this offseason.

In the running game, Buffalo would be wise to steal some of the designed quarterback runs and option plays the Panthers have used in the past with Newton, thus making Allen a more dangerous weapon in the backfield, particularly in third-down, short-yardage and goal-line packages. Considering Allen's success running quarterback powers and sweeps near the goal line as a rookie, it's a move that could pay huge dividends for the Bills.

• Like (+1) 2

On 12/14/2018 at 5:45 PM, LSHMEAB said:

How are the numbers deceiving? We've had a few more drops than the average team, but nothing egregious.

Josh needs to get better as a passer and the hope and expectation is that comes with time. There was nothing grotesquely unfair in that snippet.

This statement is not true.

Our number of dropped passes is truly egregious, and only ranks a hair behind Arizona for NFL WORST.

55 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If the Bills can build a passing game that features isolation routes (slants, quick outs, skinny posts and comebacks) outside the numbers with some basic play-action passing concepts (post/dig/shallow cross) over the middle, Allen can become a competent passer with the capacity to succeed despite a low completion rate. Now, in order to enhance Allen's game, I would advise the Bills to add a speed receiver (vertical threat) and a big-body pass catcher (possession receiver) to the lineup this offseason.

In the running game, Buffalo would be wise to steal some of the designed quarterback runs and option plays the Panthers have used in the past with Newton, thus making Allen a more dangerous weapon in the backfield, particularly in third-down, short-yardage and goal-line packages. Considering Allen's success running quarterback powers and sweeps near the goal line as a rookie, it's a move that could pay huge dividends for the Bills.

Agreed here 26CB.  

Brooks was on WGR today at 2 and spoke about Josh Allen as potentially a very effective Play Action QB from the pocket with intermediate / deep pass effectiveness.  He said he sees that already and trusts that with a retooled OLine and a revamped Running Game in 2019, that the 10-25 yds routes really open up for Josh and that Daboll will scheme it effectively.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yep definitely missed it