Why Did Marty Schottenheimer Never Get Another Chance To Coach?

3 hours ago, Leonhart2017 said:

I didn’t know about that sad news. It is a really terrible disease.

Agree...I actually liked Marty, and would have preferred him over some of the interim scrubs we had.

Edited by WideNine

5 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I remember when the Bills Rick Jauron In 2009.  Knowing Ralph’s tendencies to turn to former Bills, I was really hoping that he’d hire Mary Schottenheimer to coach.  I thought that he would be perfect considering he has history with the Bills, but more importantly, he was a veteran coach with a proven record of success in the league.  

Instead I found out that Ralph apparently had issues with Marty back when he was a player decades ago.  An unfortunately instead of hiring a coach with a .613 winning percentage, he hired a coach who now has a .425 winning percentage and never was a HC again!

It got me thinking though, why didn’t any other NFL team give Marty another shot at HC.  Everywhere that he coached (sans 1 8-8 year in Washington which included a big win streak at the end of the year) he was a winner for two decades. Yes he did struggle in the postseason, but some other coaches have had the same issues (Andy Reid). He also turned around three different franchises, most recently San Diego. I remember in 2006, when they fired him after a 14-2 start much to the fans anger.

So why did the NFL never give Marty another shot to lead a team?  It couldn’t be his age.   At the time of his firing in SD, he would have been 62.  Not young by any means, but just about the same age as Dick Vermeil when he was hired by the Rams, and a few years younger than Vermiel when KC hired him.  Oh yeah...Dick Vermeil’s winning percentage?  .525

Clearly it wasn’t Marty’s choice to not coach.  He ended up coaching in the semi-pro UFL.  Not surprisingly he was the championship.  

A lot of coaches have been hired and fired in the NFL who havent had anywhere near the success that Marty did.  It’s a damn shame that Marty never got a chance.  And that other chance probably should have been in Buffalo.  

I believe he started 0-8, but then won 8 straight. I get all the “conservative” stuff, but how odd is it to get fired after going on an 8-0 run? Wouldn’t you want to see how that turns out next year? Same with his other firings. Was he really 14-2 and got fired? Did you NOT know what you hired? Almost like he got punished for “just” making the playoffs.... That would have made Buffalo proud! 

I was really hoping Marty Ball would come to Buffalo but Marty was the guy that wanted to be in charge of the team & Ralph probably didn't like that & there was probably something we didn't know about when Marty played for the Bills back in the day so it never came about that Marty came to be the Bills HC !! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

AJ when the Chargers were in San Diego pretty much made him say screw the politics and he might entertain returning but, politics ruined that team, and for him ruined any chances of coming back.  

44 minutes ago, T master said:

I was really hoping Marty Ball would come to Buffalo but Marty was the guy that wanted to be in charge of the team & Ralph probably didn't like that & there was probably something we didn't know about when Marty played for the Bills back in the day so it never came about that Marty came to be the Bills HC !! 

Marty was good in charge of teams but GM’s always wanted to step over him politically or go over his head.  Instead after every franchise had pretty much said they were better off with their general managers and could find a dime a dozen Coach; it turned out old Marty wasn’t a dime a dozen guy.  Kind of wonder; anybody know what happened to Jim Hasslet?  

2 hours ago, T master said:

I am glad Ralph gave us the Bills, but he could have done more to retain the talent he had, not to mention reigning in his foolish pride a bit.

The GM's he pushed out the door:

Polian (got the Panthers to the NFC Championship in the 2nd year of its existence, then took over as the Colts President, most of us know what he did there, drafted Peyton Manning, AFC Championships, Superbowl victory)

Fired John Butler and the whole talented Bills front office - who then went out to San Diego and turned the Chargers franchise into contenders.

Pushed Wade out the door too, who managed the difficult task of cleaning up an aging roster of beloved veterans and was the last coach to take the Bills to a playoff (till finally - last year). Everywhere Wade goes those teams get better, usually a lot better defensively, and win. Currently the DC for the Rams....with their offense, if Wade gets their defense turned around, they will be extremely tough to beat.

In the wake of his pride and senility, we were left with a series of incompetent Ralph puppets, GM rookies (sorry Marv, I know you meant well), a marketing guy, and a series of terrible coaches, Williams, Mularkey, Skelator (Jauron), Chan, Doug (good luck with that) Marrone....ugh.

Edited by WideNine

6 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I am glad Ralph gave us the Bills, but he could have done more to retain the talent he had, not to mention reigning in his foolish pride a bit.

Polian (got the Panthers to the NFC Championship in the 2nd year of its existence, then took over as the Colts President, most of us know what he did there, Peyton Manning drafted Superbowl victory)

Fired Butler and the whole talented Bills front office - who then went out to San Diego and turned the Chargers franchise into contenders.

Pushed Wade out the door too, who managed the difficult task of cleaning up an aging roster and was the last coach to take the Bills to a playoff till finally last year. Everywhere Wade goes those teams get better, usually a lot better defensively.

In the wake of his pride and senility, we were left with a series of incompetent Ralph puppets, GM rookies (sorry Marv, I know you meant well), a marketing guy, and a series of terrible coaches, Williams, Mularkey, Skelator (Jauron), Chan, Doug (good luck with that) Marrone....ugh.

In that time Ralph also lost his daughter Linda Brogdan (Wilson) to cancer.  She came in and was tired of losing and scouted until the day she died; literally she was. 

17 minutes ago, WideNine said:

Polian (got the Panthers to the NFC Championship in the 2nd year of its existence, then took over as the Colts President, most of us know what he did there, drafted Peyton Manning, AFC Championships, Superbowl victory)

Fired John Butler and the whole talented Bills front office - who then went out to San Diego and turned the Chargers franchise into contenders.

Pushed Wade out the door too, who managed the difficult task of cleaning up an aging roster of beloved veterans and was the last coach to take the Bills to a playoff (till finally - last year). Everywhere Wade goes those teams get better, usually a lot better defensively, and win. Currently the DC for the Rams....with their offense, if Wade gets their defense turned around, they will be extremely tough to beat.

This is a really fair take.  Basically the majority of “the drought” starts with Ralph’s poor decisions.  

Initially he tried doing the right thing with the Donahue hiring.  But everything after was an epic failure and “tarnished” the organization.  Russ Brandon having a say in football decision was also very bad

7 minutes ago, Thriftygamer83 said:

In that time Ralph also lost his daughter Linda Brogdan (Wilson) to cancer.  She came in and was tired of losing and scouted until the day she died; literally she was. 

I know... I felt Ralph was losing it (mental capacity) and his bad operation decisions just piled up.

Even then he would surprise folks and flash that razor business intellect now and then - like the revenue-sharing deal where some owners tried to squeeze out the smaller market teams. I remember hearing that it was almost ratified by all the teams till Ralph said not-so-fast" and tried to point out the devil in the details to other owners - he and I think the Bengals owner were the only dissenting votes....all 32 owners scrapped the deal a few years later and Ralph got to say I told you so.

So much of his franchise performance issues towards the end were self-inflicted though - Linda was good people from all accounts.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

This is a really fair take.  Basically the majority of “the drought” starts with Ralph’s poor decisions.  

Initially he tried doing the right thing with the Donahue hiring.  But everything after was an epic failure and “tarnished” the organization.  Russ Brandon having a say in football decision was also very bad

I think what really killed Ralph above all else was his daughters death.  It just destroyed him and what they bonded over most was football.  Out living his daughter was a horrible thing and having a reminder like this; my belief is he would have willed the team to her.  

14 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

If this is true then I have more respect for Buddy.   Also it would show, again, how Ralph was not a great owner by the end of his tenure. 

I thought the hiring of Gailey was just so inspiring.  

Nobody else would take the job at that time and Nix was getting desperate so he hired an OC who was fired in KC and promoted him to head coach. So, some prospects for the Bills HCing job wouldn't even consent to an interview because most knew what working for Ralph Wilson was like. What a lot of Bills fans just don't understand is that at that time Ralph Wilson was the team president and he had his hands in everything football, from the ball boys to the head coach and it's why nobody wanted to work for him that was worth anything. 

However, right after the season was over in 2010 someone in the Bills Org let it slip out (Brandon, I'm sure) that the Bills were willing to pay 10 mill per year for a top head coach and thus the reason why Bill Cowher and Mike Shanahan interviewed for the job. In giving his plan to build the Bills new coaching staff Cowher stated he would hire Chan Gailey as his OC. This gave Wilson/Nix the idea to hire Gailey. 

According to Peter King another reason that prompted Ralph Wilson to hire Chan Gailey is because Chan told him that he didn't need star players to win games. The team started the season 0-8 that year and finished 4-12.  

On another note, let that last number sink in for a min...here we are in 2018 4-9