Why Did Marty Schottenheimer Never Get Another Chance To Coach?

I remember when the Bills Rick Jauron In 2009.  Knowing Ralph’s tendencies to turn to former Bills, I was really hoping that he’d hire Mary Schottenheimer to coach.  I thought that he would be perfect considering he has history with the Bills, but more importantly, he was a veteran coach with a proven record of success in the league.  

Instead I found out that Ralph apparently had issues with Marty back when he was a player decades ago.  An unfortunately instead of hiring a coach with a .613 winning percentage, he hired a coach who now has a .425 winning percentage and never was a HC again!

It got me thinking though, why didn’t any other NFL team give Marty another shot at HC.  Everywhere that he coached (sans 1 8-8 year in Washington which included a big win streak at the end of the year) he was a winner for two decades. Yes he did struggle in the postseason, but some other coaches have had the same issues (Andy Reid). He also turned around three different franchises, most recently San Diego. I remember in 2006, when they fired him after a 14-2 start much to the fans anger.

So why did the NFL never give Marty another shot to lead a team?  It couldn’t be his age.   At the time of his firing in SD, he would have been 62.  Not young by any means, but just about the same age as Dick Vermeil when he was hired by the Rams, and a few years younger than Vermiel when KC hired him.  Oh yeah...Dick Vermeil’s winning percentage?  .525

Clearly it wasn’t Marty’s choice to not coach.  He ended up coaching in the semi-pro UFL.  Not surprisingly he was the championship.  

A lot of coaches have been hired and fired in the NFL who havent had anywhere near the success that Marty did.  It’s a damn shame that Marty never got a chance.  And that other chance probably should have been in Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 1

Because while most recognized him as a tremendous coach - he could not win in the playoffs.  

Then as time went on and the league grew more and more towards passing offenses - his brand of football, even though largely successful - was the blame for the abysmal playoff performances his teams largely had. 

Edited by White Linen

well, he was ancient school, not just old school. 

Did not win when it mattered cause he always played not to lose. Works in the regular season against inferior opponents who will make more mistakes. Won't win when competition is equal or better than you.

He did not deserve another chance .

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

He had some bad luck though.  The Fumble and the Marlon McCree play took away two playoff wins.

Don't get me wrong - I loved Marty and he's my kind of coach.  He did have some back luck, we agree, but we both know the reason is because he didn't win in the post season. 

I don't think his on the field success was enough to mitigate his personality.  I always got the impression he was NFL John Harbaugh before John Harbaugh - people eventually are exhausted by the personality.

You can be a curmudggeon if you win titles.  You can't be Bill Belichick or Gregg Popovich without the rings.   

Edited by dpberr
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I remember when the Bills Rick Jauron In 2009.  Knowing Ralph’s tendencies to turn to former Bills, I was really hoping that he’d hire Mary Schottenheimer to coach.  I thought that he would be perfect considering he has history with the Bills, but more importantly, he was a veteran coach with a proven record of success in the league.  

Instead I found out that Ralph apparently had issues with Marty back when he was a player decades ago.  An unfortunately instead of hiring a coach with a .613 winning percentage, he hired a coach who now has a .425 winning percentage and never was a HC again!

It got me thinking though, why didn’t any other NFL team give Marty another shot at HC.  Everywhere that he coached (sans 1 8-8 year in Washington which included a big win streak at the end of the year) he was a winner for two decades. Yes he did struggle in the postseason, but some other coaches have had the same issues (Andy Reid). He also turned around three different franchises, most recently San Diego. I remember in 2006, when they fired him after a 14-2 start much to the fans anger.

So why did the NFL never give Marty another shot to lead a team?  It couldn’t be his age.   At the time of his firing in SD, he would have been 62.  Not young by any means, but just about the same age as Dick Vermeil when he was hired by the Rams, and a few years younger than Vermiel when KC hired him.  Oh yeah...Dick Vermeil’s winning percentage?  .525

Clearly it wasn’t Marty’s choice to not coach.  He ended up coaching in the semi-pro UFL.  Not surprisingly he was the championship.  

A lot of coaches have been hired and fired in the NFL who havent had anywhere near the success that Marty did.  It’s a damn shame that Marty never got a chance.  And that other chance probably should have been in Buffalo.  

Post season struggles and struggled repeatedly with very talented teams.  Don't think Reid has struggled quite as much YET as Marty.  But do think a couple more years in KC with unexpected exits from the playoffs and he may get fired here and he then may suffer the same fate where no one else selects him.

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

well, he was ancient school, not just old school. 

Did not win when it mattered cause he always played not to lose. Works in the regular season against inferior opponents who will make more mistakes. Won't win when competition is equal or better than you.

He did not deserve another chance .

he was the smarter,more talented Jauron.

21 minutes ago, White Linen said:

Because while most recognized him as a tremendous coach - he could not win in the playoffs.  

Then as time went on and the league grew more and more towards passing offenses - his brand of football, even though largely successful - was the blame for the abysmal playoff performances his teams largely had. 

Andy Reid Syndrome

collapsed in every conceivable way in the clutch moments of important games, 14 points leads aren't enough with 5 to go

every single time...

Edited by row_33
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

Good ol’ Rick Jauron, he was definitely no Champ Gailey. But we gotta stop holding everyone to the standard that Marv Levine set here in the 90’s. 

If only Schottsy could have had  Phillip Romo or Tony Rivers as QB in those days he could have failed more spectacularly.

• Haha (+1) 2

Despite being successful he was ultra conservative his reputation was definitely worse than it had any business being . Irrespective of his approach the Chargers were not the same team once norv took over they lost their toughness and mentality.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I don't think his on the field success was enough to mitigate his personality.  I always got the impression he was NFL John Harbaugh before John Harbaugh - people eventually are exhausted by the personality.

You can be a curmudggeon if you win titles.  You can't be Bill Belichick or Gregg Popovich without the rings.   

Ok so this makes a lot of sense.  I don’t buy the postseason record, because at the time there were a number of franchises that would have been thrilled to just make the playoffs (including Buffalo)

One Old curmudgeon (Ralph) should have reached to to another old curmudgeon (Marty) instead of hiring an older curmudgeon (Buddy Nix) as GM

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, bills11 said:

Despite being successful he was ultra conservative his reputation was definitely worse than it had any business being . Irrespective of his approach the Chargers were not the same team once norv took over they lost their toughness and mentality.

Agreeed.....terrible choice by SD.  Buffalo should have hired him.  Not Gailey

Just now, Leonhart2017 said:

Kick the tires Bean! It is time to bring Marty Ball to Buffalo! 

Maybe he can coach ST’s!?!?!?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Marty has Alzheimers.  He can't coach anymore and may have been showing signs after his UFL stint:https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/vahe-gregorian/article126264229.html

Right, I’m not advocating that he coaches in 2018.  But he should’ve got a shot in 2006 after SD

• Like (+1) 1

He's the man behind the term "Martyball" which is what people around the league called his style of playing. Once his teams had a lead, he would try to protect the lead instead of trying to add to it. He'd play everything extremely hesitant and conservatively, not unlike Dickie Jauron. 

Guy had numerous chances and did, at times, try to break away from his typical style but by that time the league had kinda passed him by.