Addition by Subtraction - Who should replace Danny Crossman

WideNine

20 hours ago, jr1 said:

Brian Moorman

Is he coaching now? 

18 hours ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Someone mentioned earlier and I agree: Steve Tasker. I don't hear his name much. Is he not probably a good coach? Doesn't want to coach?

I dont think Tasker leaves the booth- not so sure he would be a good coach anyways.

Any HS coach. The ST coordinator is useless. Just look at Crossman and April. They have had great and terrible units. Bills were a decent unit last year and they suck now. Its all on the players.

On 12/14/2018 at 2:01 PM, WideNine said:

I would say the same, but McD was pissed and said he and Crossman specifically discussed directing kicks away from Andre Roberts and they kicked it right to him 3 times (one long return called back on a penalty).

How hard is that to coach, or does Hauschka need a special shoe to make a kick veer to the left when the returner is standing on the right hash mark? Wasn't Hausch doing our kickoffs last year?

Do you think if that was the plan he didn't tell Hauschka to do it? 

Remember when Tom Coughlin's Giants punted to DeShaun Jackson late in the fourth and lost on a TD return. They told the punter to kick it out of bounds. 

On 12/14/2018 at 1:17 PM, Steve Billieve said:

Not so sure Crossman is the problem.  He's put out good units most of the time, and sometimes great units.

I don't understand this line of reasoning.  If the units are good why do they fumble punts,  fail to gain yards on kickoffs & punts and fail to stop the opposing team from returning punts and kickoffs.

2 hours ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I don't understand this line of reasoning.  If the units are good why do they fumble punts,  fail to gain yards on kickoffs & punts and fail to stop the opposing team from returning punts and kickoffs.

In 2014 he had us as the second best special teams unit in the league.  Sort of makes you wonder what's different now?

On 12/14/2018 at 6:52 PM, WideNine said:

I am thinking we may be able to simply raid from the Jets or Miami staff.

There is a good chance that one or both coaching staffs will be blown up this offseason and they are sitting at #1 and #10 respectively.

The Jets have:

Brant Boyer and OBD should be sure to (or just) hire his assistant Jeff Hammerschmidt as he was hired in the 2016-2017 offseason as the Jets Special Teams were struggling and had been ranked 25th in 2017, 32nd in 2016, so quite a jump since they brought Jeff in from the college ranks.

The Phins have:

Marlan Maalouf: Would be less excited if they hired Marlan as he seems to be able to keep Miami from embarrassing themselves, but they do not excel as a unit either. This would be change for change sake IMO.

The Bills are currently ranked 27th.

Colton Schmidt is fine. 

Point is ANYBODY should replace Crossman. 

On 12/14/2018 at 1:58 PM, Captain Hindsight said:

Bobby April was a good ST coach because they let him have every backup position player be a special teamer. I hated when he was here. Sure Roscoe had a few nice returns, but we so often had to IR starters because all of our backups were Bobby April guys and couldnt play defense. It kept us in 6-10 territory for years

...EXACTLY!.....April had way too much say in the final 53........his gang was certainly one dimensional a/k/a ST's or nothin'.......injury bug hit and these guys were worthless at their natural positions......

35 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

You could bring back Peterman and try to turn him into a gunner.  

When the last play of the half calls for a ‘Hail Mary’, and it morphs into a QB scramble, you might be onto something.  He would have the opponents thoroughly confused...not to mention teammates, his coaches, and the rest of us.