Addition by Subtraction - Who should replace Danny Crossman

WideNine

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Bobby April was a good ST coach because they let him have every backup position player be a special teamer. I hated when he was here. Sure Roscoe had a few nice returns, but we so often had to IR starters because all of our backups were Bobby April guys and couldnt play defense. It kept us in 6-10 territory for years

Bobby was actually considered a HC prospect at one time.

17 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Working on kicking technique is not really part of the job anyway. Moorman might be able scheme kick protections, blocks and coverage if he paid attention during his playing days. But maybe as an assistant.

You can put me on the side of the players are the issue. Young roster, not a lot of quality talent at backup spots.

I would say the same, but McD was pissed and said he and Crossman specifically discussed directing kicks away from Andre Roberts and they kicked it right to him 3 times (one long return called back on a penalty).

How hard is that to coach, or does Hauschka need a special shoe to make a kick veer to the left when the returner is standing on the right hash mark? Wasn't Hausch doing our kickoffs last year?

I wouldn't mind seeing them pick up Jerry Rosburg from the Ravens if they decide to let go of Harbaugh. Ravens are usually ranked pretty high up there for special teams. 

"Jerry Rosburg, now in his 40th season coaching, has guided an exceptional special teams group over his 10 years (2008-17) with the Ravens. Specifically in the past six seasons (2012-17), the Ravens’ special teams units have consistently been acknowledged as one of the league’s best. In 2017, Football Outsidersnamed the Ravens' unit No. 1 overall. The ranking is the NFL's eighth highest in a season since 1986. Also, in the annual special teams report from senior NFL writer Rick Gosselin, Baltimore has ranked in the NFL’s Top 5 for six-straight seasons, including first in 2015. (Gosselin’s report is recognized by NFL teams as a special teams measuring stick.) Overall, no other NFL team has been in the Top 5 (or Top 10) in each of the past six seasons. During Rosburg's tenure in Baltimore, the Ravens have produced the NFL’s No. 1 kickoff return average (25.4), once again leading the league (27.5) in 2017. In the past seven seasons (2011-17), Baltimore has produced 10 total kick return TDs (5 PR & 5 KOR), ranking as the NFL’s second most (tied, KC). Under Rosburg’s direction, six Ravens have earned Pro Bowl honors, including K Justin Tucker and LS Morgan Cox (twice each) and P Sam Koch."

• Like (+1) 1

Nobody, ST needs to play better. Its not always the coach

The Bills have been adding a dumping WRs and corners all season long, most were ST players

There is no way you can do this without paying a price. Its not the coach.

Signed- Danny Crossman

Edited by HOUSE

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Bobby April was a good ST coach because they let him have every backup position player be a special teamer. I hated when he was here. Sure Roscoe had a few nice returns, but we so often had to IR starters because all of our backups were Bobby April guys and couldnt play defense. It kept us in 6-10 territory for years

your Hindsight is spot on.

i am on the side of ; Rotating players on Teams to see who will be future state Bills players this year.

How many punters now ?

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

Yep, and get him out of broadcasting. Win-Win.

Painful to listen to when he’s speaking ‘off the cuff’.  His network coverage must be heavily prepared, with a director leading him via an earphone. Then again, some of Murphy’s nattering on his 3 hour gabfest leaves me speechless.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

No.  I'm Gugny.  Are you Phil?

You got that wrong, I think.  It’s “I’m Gugny, dammit!”, isn’t it?

Definitely Boyer if he's let out of his contract after Bowles is (presumably) fired.

I'd also look at KC Asst. ST Coordinator Rod Wilson.

He started as an intern with the Chiefs, and has coached alongside the venerable Dave Toub.  He also was a key STer under Toub during his playing days in Chicago.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, WideNine said:

I would say the same, but McD was pissed and said he and Crossman specifically discussed directing kicks away from Andre Roberts and they kicked it right to him 3 times (one long return called back on a penalty).

How hard is that to coach, or does Hauschka need a special shoe to make a kick veer to the left when the returner is standing on the right hash mark? Wasn't Hausch doing our kickoffs last year?

Not hard to coach, pretty much just communicate, it's about alignment and yes he was.

There are times in the past when I have wondered why a player is having trouble performing and it comes out after the season that there was a health issue that had more of an impact than was let on. Not saying that's the case here, but it crossed my mind.

32 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Not hard to coach, pretty much just communicate, it's about alignment and yes he was.

There are times in the past when I have wondered why a player is having trouble performing and it comes out after the season that there was a health issue that had more of an impact than was let on. Not saying that's the case here, but it crossed my mind.

With how weak his kicks were I was wondering too about Hausch being injured early in that game, or whether he was using Patriot footballs that had been "Gronked", then that Jet gave him the cheap shot (sans flag or fine of course) and now I know he is hurt.