All 22: Evaluating Teller pass blocking 1st half v Jets

Bocephuz

WYATT TELLER PASS PROTECT ANALYSIS

I watched the All 22 from the Jets game and analyzed every pass protect snap by Wyatt Teller in the first half. I did not have time to watch the 2nd half.. (I do have a real job) .. however.. I think it a good sample size to show examples where he played well, was fooled on stunts.. and perhaps most importantly examples that showed he didn't repeat the same mistake twice.

My system for grading is "Win" , "Loss" and "Draw" as described below:

WIN

• block is material to the play
  • block/assignment is executed well

DRAW

• block is not material to the play
  • block is executed well enough

LOSS

• block is material to the play
  • block/assignment is executed poorly

DISCLAIMER:  I am not a coach, I do not know exactly the play call or blocking assignment called on each play. I am merely an interested observer who focuses on O Line play every week and the following analysis is based on my observations

---

OVERALL PERFORMANCE

By my count there were 26 pass plays in the first half (including penalty plays etc...).

• "Won"  13/26 ,
  • "Lost" 3/26,
  • "Draw" 10/26

----- --

GIF BREAKDOWNS

WIN : Q1: 14:29 - Teller is initially pushed back by #99 but rallies.. resets.. and gets his hands into the pads to push his man back at the last minute.. buying time for Allen to complete 18 yd strike. Teller demonstrates strenght, resolve and good technique in fighting through losing the initial punch.

4MOBesI.gif

WIN: Q1 2:01 -  Teller initially helps Dawkins with a double team .. but in doing that he is late in recognizing DE #96 coming in on delayed stunt. He miraculously avoids disaster however by getting there just in time and knocking #96 on his ass.. allowing for Allen to complete pass to Clay

mJxdV1B.gif

LOSS Q2: 4:56 -  Teller goes to help Dawkins double #96 .. does not see Twist stunt from #50 leading to #50 flushing Allen from the pocket.. and eventually an INT

aWhZ26a.gif

LOSS: Q2 2:31 - FALSE START

WIN: Q2 1:34 -  Jets run as similar stunt as shown earlier with #50 and #96... but this time Teller picks it up quickly.. engages #50 and manhandles him

VIY9f7n.gif

WIN Q2 1:26 -  Teller picks up the same stunt again showing he can think on his feet and adapt

x1pBdKS.gif

LOSS Q2 1:12  - Teller misreads the stunt this time and gets to #96 too late causing a pressure on Allen

iN3z9Bx.gif

----

CONCLUSION

By no means was Teller perfect in pass protect in 1st half.

However.. he did show some positive traits.. namely

• His strength often helps make up for poor technique or poor recognition
  • He showed the ability to adapt and not get beat by the same stunt
  • There were no holding penalties in the first half
  •  

On the negative side

• A False Start is almost always inexcusable.. gotta clean that up
  • He did misread a few stunts
  •  

At the end of the day the Jets threw quite a few stunts at Teller and Dawkins in the first half  ( mainly #50 and #96 working together) and the pair was 2/4 in picking them up. Hopefully Dawkins and Teller develop some chemistry here and learn to trust each other more in picking up stunts. I think the future is bright for Teller.. he seems to have the movement skills and strength to hang in the NFL and certainly has an attitude in finishing blocks. Hopefully with more experience will come less examples of him getting fooled by stunts.  From what I've seen I believe he can develop into a reliable starting NFL Guard.

( On a side note .. John Miller is completely shot... I was a fan of his and had high expectations for him this year but its time to pull the plug)

( Also.. Juan Castillo likely needs to be fired. It seems like most of the time he calls for the Guards  to double team it ends in busted protection)

Edited by Bocephuz
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 7

I've got Teller penciled in at LG next season. Very high on that dude.

Love to see them draft a true LT and kick Dion to RT. If it weren't for Teller, I'd prefer him at LG.

Key to the OL is always going to be get your best 5 on the field. I have RG and T as MUST upgrades. I could actually live with Bodine if nothing materializes at C in FA'cy or the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for this.....I am focusing on Teller because I feel like they want him to be a starter next year no matter what they do in free agency or draft

1 minute ago, LSHMEAB said:

Love to see them draft a true LT and kick Dion to RT. If it weren't for Teller, I'd prefer him at LG.

Key to the OL is always going to be get your best 5 on the field. I have RG and T as MUST upgrades. I could actually live with Bodine if nothing materializes at C in FA'cy or the draft.

Any reason why could not move Teller to RG?

I feel like Dawkins best position os LG....if we draft a legit LT....move Dawkins to LG....free agent C.....Teller to RG....then figure out what to do at RT we might actually have something.

Edited by John from Riverside
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Thanks for this.....I am focusing on Teller because I feel like they want him to be a starter next year no matter what they do in free agency or draft

Not really. I think he could play either spot. My thought is that it's gonna be easier to find a guard than a tackle. 

It all depends on who we like in the draft and how that shakes out.

39 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

How is Dawkins not "a true LT?" Guy is a stud. We don't need to move him.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, I Make All The Throws said:

He's average at best in pass pro. Not nearly as good as Cordy Glenn who was always rumored to not be an LT. He's a decent player suited for a different spot on the line IMO.

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I feel like Dawkins best position os LG....if we draft a legit LT....move Dawkins to LG....free agent C.....Teller to RG....then figure out what to do at RT we might actually have something.

I would not be opposed to moving Teller to RG. Dawkins flashes good play at LT but also has struggled mightily at times. Only concern is that he is learning valuable footwork and reps at LG and would hesitate to have him have to reorient

10 minutes ago, I Make All The Throws said:

I would not characterize Dawkins as a "Stud". He has been passable at LT.. but he has a ways to go to get to Cordy Glenn level

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, I Make All The Throws said:

Moving a guy from LT to RT is not nearly as much of a given as people act like it is. These guys go there whole careers learning a certain type of footwork and are then asked to do the exact opposite.  It is awkward, and it is unsurprising so many struggle with it.  

10 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

He's average at best in pass pro. Not nearly as good as Cordy Glenn who was always rumored to not be an LT. He's a decent player suited for a different spot on the line IMO.

Other than when he faced Myles Garrett, I can't think of a time he's struggled to block anybody. I certainly haven't noticed him in a bad way. Since he's facing the opponent's best pass rusher each and every week, shutting pretty much all of them down is not just average. He's very good. Our problems are elsewhere. Don't fix what ain't broken, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, I Make All The Throws said:

I agree, Buffalo does not need to move Dawkins inside, but they could if need be.  It really depends on what happens in the offseason.  If they have an opportunity to acquire a couple really good offensive tackles between free agency, and circumstances don't lend themseves to picking up any guards,  then just move Dawkins inside.  If you can acquire a good guard (to replace Miller) and a tackle (to replace Mills) along with a quality center, then leave Dawkins where he is.

Really impressive seeing Teller pick up that first stunt. Then equally unimpressive in the next vid when he doesn't recognize #50 coming across his face. I think he's ready physically to a solid starting OG now, but he needs more development between the ears. I feel pretty good about him going forward.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He reminds me of Incognito. Before he developed into a stud guard he committed too many penalties and made sloppy mistakes. I could see Teller taking a similar trajectory, hopefully with a better ending of course.

It'd be tough to have a WORSE ending than Richie.

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, I Make All The Throws said:

He is not playing as well as Cordy Glenn did in my opinion

I am not saying he is not a good player....only if we can get better at that spot Dawkins might be an even BETTER player inside.

Ultimately...he CAN play LT.....so if they decide to keep that duo intact so be it...but then Center, RG, RT MUST be improved.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, I Make All The Throws said:

Other than when he faced Myles Garrett, I can't think of a time he's struggled to block anybody. I certainly haven't noticed him in a bad way. Since he's facing the opponent's best pass rusher each and every week, shutting pretty much all of them down is not just average. He's very good. Our problems are elsewhere. Don't fix what ain't broken, IMO.

I'd like to see his PFF grade in pass pro.

Based on the eye test, I don't see him as anything but mediocre. He's not terrible, but it's probably the second most important position on offense. Would prefer an upgrade.

Q1 Time 2:01

I am going to call that a loss.....

Yes...he did come over last minute and lay wood on the D player...yes Josh did get it off

We really need to redefine what acceptable pass blocking is on this team.......pockets need to be CLEAN if we dont want Josh Allen running out of them and becoming more of a pocket passing thrower.....this defender got right at Allen's feet on this play.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He is not playing as well as Cordy Glenn did in my opinion

I am not saying he is not a good player....only if we can get better at that spot Dawkins might be an even BETTER player inside.

Ultimately...he CAN play LT.....so if they decide to keep that duo intact so be it...but then Center, RG, RT MUST be improved.

I gotta wonder if dawkins could kick over to RT if we draft a guy like Williams.... might be easier to find a quality vet guard or draft one. rather than do that with RT.

so many teams have 2 good edge rushers anymore. That rt slot is more important now than it ever has been IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I'd like to see his PFF grade in pass pro.

Based on the eye test, I don't see him as anything but mediocre. He's not terrible, but it's probably the second most important position on offense. Would prefer an upgrade.

dawkins.thumb.png.7002ffb4689bbaafe09baaef0108f696.png

Dawkins = 37th ranked LT according to PFF

- granted he has had to work with Vlad Ducasse and a rookie

- that said.. he is in the bottom half of Tackles in Pass Block rating

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Q1 Time 2:01

I am going to call that a loss.....

Yes...he did come over last minute and lay wood on the D player...yes Josh did get it off

We really need to redefine what acceptable pass blocking is on this team.......pockets need to be CLEAN if we dont want Josh Allen running out of them and becoming more of a pocket passing thrower.....this defender got right at Allen's feet on this play.

I almost called that a loss.. but that last minute save was just effective enough to get the job done. Allen certainly did a good job hanging tough on that one

• Like (+1) 1