Bills game not televised on Fox in SYR/Utica/Watertown/Bingo

Whites Bay

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, Albany,n.y. said:

The advantage we have with Fox televising the game over other NY State cities is that the owners of Albany's Fox station also televise the Bills preseason games.  I'm guessing the Bills preseason games aren't on the Fox station in Syracuse.  Even though the Jets have a bigger fan base than the Bills, only the Giants & Bills had their preseason games on TV in Albany.  Even with all their winning seasons and being a lot closer than Buffalo, NE is still a distant 4th in the market here, but they did con a radio station into carrying their games while the Bills haven't been on Albany radio in years.  At one time the Bills were carried on Albany's strongest radio station that you can get pretty far along the east coast.  As soon as we start winning again, Bills games will return to Albany radio.  The ranking of fans in Albany is: 1) NYG 2) NYJ 3)Bills 4) NE 5)Whichever team is in vogue to jump on their bandwagon.  The reason the Bills rank 3rd is even though we're influenced by NYC, because there is a combination of students & state employees who came here from WNY (and some of the students stayed) we'll always stay ahead of NE in the fanbase because there aren't a lot of New Englanders in Albany compared with WNY refugees. 

I am not saying you are wrong, but where do you get the ranking information?

8 minutes ago, Saratoga Leo said:

FWIW - I know people in both Saratoga and Rensselaer counties.  They claim lots of Pats fans in both places.  You're pretty much right next to New England.  It would make sense.

4 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

It might sound weird but I actually sometimes enjoy listening to games on the good ole' radio.

:)

2 minutes ago, PearlHowardman said:

FWIW - I know people in both Saratoga and Rensselaer counties.  They claim lots of Pats fans in both places.  You're pretty much right next to New England.  It would make sense.

I live in Saratoga county. There are more fans dressed in Bills clothes than Jets or Patriots. There are more cars with Bills plates or other Bills stuff on them than the others. You see very few Jets clothing or auto "stuff". 

No doubt the Giants are #1. 

15 hours ago, Saratoga Leo said:

I'm getting them from the priority of TV stations broadcasts.  The Giants get priority over everyone and have Albany included in their area that is permitted to show all preseason games, then it's the Jets who will always be shown over the Bills unless it's late in the season & the Jets are hopelessly out of it & the Bills are in playoff contention.  This happened last December, but it's very rare to get a Bills game over a Jets game these days.  The Bills get 3rd priority right behind the Giants & Jets.  The Bills preseason games were shown on ch 23 this year for the 1st time but we don't have a radio station.  That could be because the games are always available on-line.  The Patriots get shown only when the other 3 teams are not going head to head with them.  They get some play because they play more 4:30 national games, but they are clearly 4th choice at best among the TV stations.  They do have a radio station, which among the top 4, only the Bills don't have. 

The TV stations have a lot of advertising $ invested in these games.  They study the market better than we fans do & would not be putting up games that they thought could be ratings duds.  Their hierarchy is clearly a top 3 of Giants-Jets-Bills in that order.  For the most part, the Patriots are an afterthought.  

15 hours ago, PearlHowardman said:

It might sound weird but I actually sometimes enjoy listening to games on the good ole' radio.

:)

Funny that you didn't mention Albany County, which has the largest population in the area.  

I've lived & worked here for 30 years.  At work there were Bills fans, most with some WNY ties who either were transferred here by the state or went to college here & stayed.  There were no Patriots fans in my building, although there were some Red Sox fans.   Years ago, some of the people I worked with had Patriots seasons, none of them were Patriots fans.  The 2 I knew were fans of Arizona & KC, not NE.  We're a lot closer to the Meadowlands in time & around 35-40 miles closer in distance than Foxborough.  I know a lot more people who go to and have seasons to the Giants & Jets than NE.  There just aren't many eastern Mass transplants in the Albany area, while there are WNY transplants.  Mass residents don't go to the colleges here in the numbers WNY kids do and none get transferred from a state job in Boston to a state job in Albany.   

We get around 10 Bills games a season on home TV, I have to go out to see the other 6 games.  I see Bills fans at the satellite showings but no Patriots fans.  If they're in the immediate Albany area, they certainly aren't making their presence shown.  

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Funny that you didn't mention Albany County, which has the largest population in the area.  

Not that I really care, but...

https://www.homesnacks.net/here-are-the-10-cities-with-the-most-new-england-patriots-fans-125194/

Here are the top places in America with the most Patriot fans:

1. Boston
2. Providence, RI
3. New Bedford, MA
4. Manchester, NH
5. Springfield, MA
6. Holyoke, MA
7. Albany, NY
8. Worcester, MA
9. Pittsfield, MA
10. Schenectady, NY

It would make sense.  Albany is only miles from New England.

:mellow:

29 minutes ago, PearlHowardman said:

Not that I really care, but...

https://www.homesnacks.net/here-are-the-10-cities-with-the-most-new-england-patriots-fans-125194/

Here are the top places in America with the most Patriot fans:

1. Boston
2. Providence, RI
3. New Bedford, MA
4. Manchester, NH
5. Springfield, MA
6. Holyoke, MA
7. Albany, NY
8. Worcester, MA
9. Pittsfield, MA
10. Schenectady, NY

It would make sense.  Albany is only miles from New England.

:mellow:

170 miles from Albany to Boston

9 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The TV stations have a lot of advertising $ invested in these games.  They study the market better than we fans do & would not be putting up games that they thought could be ratings duds.  Their hierarchy is clearly a top 3 of Giants-Jets-Bills in that order.  For the most part, the Patriots are an afterthought.  

I agree with you except this week the Bills game was bumped in Syracuse, Utica etc. Doesn't make much sense to bump the game there. Especially when the game is put on in Albany. I have been told the decision is made out of town.

One other thing - If we polled the bar owners in the Albany market, they would want the Bills to bumped as often as possible. Bar owners in Central NY most likely had a banner Sunday afternoon. 

2 hours ago, Saratoga Leo said:

I agree with you except this week the Bills game was bumped in Syracuse, Utica etc. Doesn't make much sense to bump the game there. Especially when the game is put on in Albany. I have been told the decision is made out of town.

One other thing - If we polled the bar owners in the Albany market, they would want the Bills to bumped as often as possible. Bar owners in Central NY most likely had a banner Sunday afternoon. 

The decision is made in NY by the network,  but the local stations can ask for a change.  The Albany stations usually do if there is no Giants or Jets game available. I have no idea what goes on in Syracuse and why the station didn't appeal to Fox like our stations in Albany would have done.  

I'm sure all Sunday ticket bar owners would like fewer home games in Albany, but we'll end up seeing 9 games at home this year.  The last 2 weeks won't be on locally, this week the Giants are on ch 6 and they're going to show Jets/NE (because of the Jets, not NE) the last week instead of Bills/Miami.  

Also, I don't believe the post that lists the Patriot fans cities since it doesn't include Hartford,  Ct. Hartford and all of Connecticut is Patriots country, except the southern portion which is Giants country.  The Patriots almost moved to Hartford in the 1990s and we're expected to believe there are more Patriots here fans in Giants country than Hartford and even more in Schenectady than Hartford.  Insanity.