You’re GM of Giants...Do you take Barkley still in a redraft or Allen/Other QB?

Alphadawg7

Redraft Poll:  

183 members have voted

1. 1. If you’re Giants, who do you take #2 overall in a redraft?

• Still Barkley
    • Josh Allen
    • Sam Darnold
    • Josh Rosen
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Other (reply with who below)

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

And yet the Giants still suck because they have been inconsistent at the QB position all year and they have a hard time protecting the QB

They haven’t sucked because of Manning whatsoever. And they drafted a QB later.

Barkley at least keeps the offense relevant before other positions get better.

Awful post. 

2 hours ago, mannc said:

But Lindsey’s not really much of an outlier.  Because of the position he plays, Chubb would have been a better pick than Barkley.

I don’t disagree that there are other viable options. My point is just that Barkley is a perfectly reasonable option. He’s a superstar. You need a few of them. He can score from anywhere on the field. He certainly not a bad pick. 

1 hour ago, Dadonkadonk said:

The ones that are wrong 50% of the time. Sure thing. 

Justin Herbert is the consensus best at this point. He hasn't even had one signature win. Puts up lots of stats against lower tier teams. No big wins.

Yeah, maybe I’ll trust your opinion over there’s.  Sure thing.

Herbert is similar to Josh Allen.  According to many, Allen was a 2nd or 3rd rd prospect.  Nobody was trading into the top 3 for mahomes or Watson, but now teams would Ben thinning differently.  All it takes is for Herbert, Haskins or whoever they draft to become This year’s version of mahomes or Watson.  Overlooked as worthy of a top 3 pick that slip out of the top 10 and become the franchise QBs.  Whoever they draft has a chance to be that guy 

2 hours ago, billspro said:

It was a horrible pick. Like I said, he is probably good enough to cause them to win enough games to be in QB purgatory for the next decade. Never pass on a QB.

That is actually a very good point, and it's already showing up this very next draft.  Instead of being in position to draft high to get their QB, they are staring down the barrel of dropping between 10 and 20 now depending how these remaining games go.  And with a punchers chance to still squeak into the playoffs if they can win out, they certainly will try even though they won't get very far once inside.  

That was what the Bills were so frustrating at doing...they weren't good at sucking.  They would always do just enough to miss out on the key QB prospects while also not being good enough to make the playoffs.  How many years in a row were we 7-9 again, like 3 or 4?  I mean we sucked back then but just kept shooting our selves in the foot.  And good point about Spiller as a comparison on how our run game (combined with Freddy) got us a few more wins each year while we had a putrid QB forcing us to miss out on drafting the better ones and instead getting stuck taking one in the worst QB draft in decades.

The one thing going for the Giants this year though is that there are some Vets, more than usual, that can be at least an adequate starter.  I could see Eli coming back, or grabbing someone like Fitz, Foles, Flacco, or Teddy.  The problem is, they dont have that defense like they did when Eli led them to 2 Super Bowls, so having a solid Vet won't be enough unless they get that defense built back up.  This is why I think they will offer their first round pick to the Raiders for Carr, who could see a major resurgence in NY playing with those WR's and TE along with Barkley.  

If they don't go after Carr or try and don't get him, out of all the other vet choices, I think I would be most intrigued by Teddy since he at least has potential to be a longer term starter where as the others are just aging Vet stop gaps at this point.

38 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I don’t disagree that there are other viable options. My point is just that Barkley is a perfectly reasonable option. He’s a superstar. You need a few of them. He can score from anywhere on the field. He certainly not a bad pick. 

He’s certainly no bust...nor was there any chance he would be.

54 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

They haven’t sucked because of Manning whatsoever. And they drafted a QB later.

Barkley at least keeps the offense relevant before other positions get better.

Awful post. 

They haven't sucked because of Manning? 18th in yards per game, 16th in points scored with an amazing RB and a star receiver.

Eli has absolutely no mobility left. He takes way too many sacks and he settles for way too many check downs

Inconsistent QB play and a mediocre line is the reason for their below average offence. 

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

140 votes in:

Lamar Jackson - 1

Josh Rosen - Still Zero

LMAO - So much for the “WRONG JOSH” crowd sticking by their proclamations, even Lamar has a vote lol.  

When you had Rosen rated at #3 and Allen at #4 behind Darnold and Mayfield, you obviously go with Darnold in this hypothetical if you think the Giants made the wrong move.

Edited by Doc Brown

6 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

When you had Rosen rated at #3 and Allen at #4 behind Darnold and Mayfield, you obviously go with Darnold in this hypothetical if you think the Giants made the wrong move.

Of course, but there were a lot of people who said Rosen was either 2nd behind Mayfield or the overall best QB, most pro ready, etc.  And Darnold hasn't done much more than Rosen on the field this year.  So not like Darnold came out and did a lot to win over the pro Rosen people who had Rosen ranked above him.  

I did fully expect Allen and Darnold to lead the pack in this poll, but as we sit Rosen still has zero votes and even Lamar has 1 and other has a few.  

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Of course, but there were a lot of people who said Rosen was either 2nd behind Mayfield or the overall best QB, most pro ready, etc.  And Darnold hasn't done much more than Rosen on the field this year.  So not like Darnold came out and did a lot to win over the pro Rosen people who had Rosen ranked above him.  

I did fully expect Allen and Darnold to lead the pack in this poll, but as we sit Rosen still has zero votes and even Lamar has 1 and other has a few.  

Obviously whoever had Rosen rated #1 are obviously disappointed at his performance so far with the Cardinals.  

14 hours ago, NewEra said:

Prior to the draft I thought they made a huge mistake passing on a QB.  As it stands, they may end up getting the best qb in the draft next year and may not have to give up much to do so.  If they can get a solid franchise qb this year, I’d say they made the right move.  

Unless josh Allen reaches his potential of course.  At that point, they had messed up

Couldn't agree more, NewEra and I have been thinking about this since the Fall. 

Sure, they have to endure a lot of pain these last two years, but they may be nicely set-up for the future.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Couldn't agree more, NewEra and I have been thinking about this since the Fall. 

Sure, they have to endure a lot of pain these last two years, but they may be nicely set-up for the future.

I dont think they are going to be in position to get the best QB in the draft, they have an outside shot at playoffs and won 4 of last 5.  They are gonna play hard down the stretch, so I think they most likely finish in the "teens" in terms of draft position.  That would make a trade up quite expensive.  But like I said earlier, I have a feeling they will offer what ever first round pick they get to Raiders for Carr and then Raiders might bite and grab their QB at #3 with their own Pick.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

That is actually a very good point, and it's already showing up this very next draft.  Instead of being in position to draft high to get their QB, they are staring down the barrel of dropping between 10 and 20 now depending how these remaining games go.  And with a punchers chance to still squeak into the playoffs if they can win out, they certainly will try even though they won't get very far once inside.  

That was what the Bills were so frustrating at doing...they weren't good at sucking.  They would always do just enough to miss out on the key QB prospects while also not being good enough to make the playoffs.  How many years in a row were we 7-9 again, like 3 or 4?  I mean we sucked back then but just kept shooting our selves in the foot.  And good point about Spiller as a comparison on how our run game (combined with Freddy) got us a few more wins each year while we had a putrid QB forcing us to miss out on drafting the better ones and instead getting stuck taking one in the worst QB draft in decades.

The one thing going for the Giants this year though is that there are some Vets, more than usual, that can be at least an adequate starter.  I could see Eli coming back, or grabbing someone like Fitz, Foles, Flacco, or Teddy.  The problem is, they dont have that defense like they did when Eli led them to 2 Super Bowls, so having a solid Vet won't be enough unless they get that defense built back up.  This is why I think they will offer their first round pick to the Raiders for Carr, who could see a major resurgence in NY playing with those WR's and TE along with Barkley.  

If they don't go after Carr or try and don't get him, out of all the other vet choices, I think I would be most intrigued by Teddy since he at least has potential to be a longer term starter where as the others are just aging Vet stop gaps at this point.

They could definitely get lucky and hit on a vet QB. But Barkley is good enough to keep them 6-9 win range if they don’t. Which is exactly why the Bills never had a chance at a QB.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I dont think they are going to be in position to get the best QB in the draft, they are have an outside shot at playoffs and won 4 of last 5.  They are gonna play hard down the stretch, so I think they most likely finish in the "teens" in terms of draft position.  That would make a trade up quite expensive.  But like I said earlier, I have a feeling they will offer what ever first round pick they get to Raiders for Carr and they might bite and grab their QB at #3 with their own Pick.  

That’s interesting, Alpha.

Barkley is Bette than I thought he would be, but maybe I just was being fair to him because I wanted the Giants to trade with us.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, papazoid said:

they absolutely screwed up by not taking a QB. you don't get many chances to draft that high.

they got a heck of a player instead...…(mahomes/ tre'davious anyone ?)

they may bail themselves out in this years draft if they can get a good QB

one less first round QB

Justin Herbert announces he'll return to Oregon

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/justin-herbert-announces-hell-return-to-oregon/