You’re GM of Giants...Do you take Barkley still in a redraft or Allen/Other QB?

Alphadawg7

Redraft Poll:  

183 members have voted

1. 1. If you’re Giants, who do you take #2 overall in a redraft?

• Still Barkley
    • Josh Allen
    • Sam Darnold
    • Josh Rosen
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Other (reply with who below)

Just for fun:

No doubt Barkley is having an incredible rookie season and proving worthy of such a high pick.  But given the importance of the QB position and seeing Eli is pretty much done and knowing what we know now what would you do in a redraft?  Would you still take Barkley #2 or take Allen (or other one of the QBs) instead?

Do you go safe and take the beast at RB?  Or gamble on the sky high upside Allen has been showing?  Or do you go QB but take one of the other guys instead?  Or is there another rookie you take instead?  Remember this is for the Giants, not just who you like more.

To answer my own question:

It would be a tough choice for me, but I am a believer in Allen and I really think he is going to get there and be a special talent.  I wouldn’t fault anyone who would choose Barkley either, Inmean he is just a beast out there.  But just because it’s harder to find that special QB, I think I would gamble by going with Allens upside even though Barkley is already amongst the best at his position in the NFL.  I love Barkley, so it’s a close call, just really have a lot of confidence in Allens future.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

Prior to the draft I thought they made a huge mistake passing on a QB.  As it stands, they may end up getting the best qb in the draft next year and may not have to give up much to do so.  If they can get a solid franchise qb this year, I’d say they made the right move.  

Unless josh Allen reaches his potential of course.  At that point, they had messed up

• Like (+1) 3

I'm on the pro-Barkley train. It seems to be the unpopular opinion because it's an era of QB's above all else and RB's being "a dime a dozen" (still untrue, but it continues to be a talking point), and yeah I guess Barry Sanders never won a ring, but Barkley is a true generational talent. Everybody knew he was going to be good but nobody expected this so soon, and he's getting better every single week. Put a threat like that with any rookie QB and they've got the best offensive safety blanket in the league for years to come.

• Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Prior to the draft I thought they made a huge mistake passing on a QB.  As it stands, they may end up getting the best qb in the draft next year and may not have to give up much to do so.  If they can get a solid franchise qb this year, I’d say they made the right move.  

Unless josh Allen reaches his potential of course.  At that point, they had messed up

Yeah, they could get a QB but the recent 4-1 win streak has dropped them, and most likely draft outside the top 10.  Not considered a deep QB class, so may not get the guy they want.

Although I posted in another thread that I think they might try and trade for Carr and I think the Raiders will listen.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

I trade down and draft several oline.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Just for fun:

No doubt Barkley is having an incredible rookie season and proving worthy of such a high pick.  But given the importance of the QB position and seeing Eli is pretty much done and knowing what we know now what would you do in a redraft?  Would you still take Barkley #2 or take Allen (or other one of the QBs) instead?

Do you go safe and take the beast at RB?  Or gamble on the sky high upside Allen has been showing?  Or do you go QB but take one of the other guys instead?  Or is there another rookie you take instead?  Remember this is for the Giants, not just who you like more.

It would be a tough choice for me, but I am a believer in Allen and I really think he is going to get there and be a special talent.  I wouldn’t fault anyone who would choose Barkley either, Inmean he is just a beast out there.  But just because it’s harder to find that special QB, I think I would gamble by going with Allens upside even though Barkley is already amongst the best at his position in the NFL.  I love Barkley, so it’s a close call, just really have a lot of confidence in Allens future.  

The giant would likely take Allen as he was the #1 QB on their board.

• Like (+1) 1

Just for fun:

I don't vote in these things, but I'd take Darnold / Rosen / Allen, maybe in that order, though I haven't watched a lot of Darnold or Rosen since they got to the NFL. I'd have to go look much closer. But I'd take a QB anyway.

Before the draft, I said if I were the G-men, I'd take a QB but that I thought the other side was also very defensible, that maybe Manning could have another good year or two in him, especially if the Giants brain trust thought so.

I haven't watched any Giants games closely but it looks like maybe Eli is finished. If so, I think they made a bad choice, though as you say, Barkley is a terrific player.

Edited by Thurman#1

Yeah, they could get a QB but the recent 4-1 win streak has dropped them, and most likely draft outside the top 10.  Not considered a deep QB class, so may not get the guy they want.

Although I posted in another thread that I think they might try and trade for Carr and I think the Raiders will listen.  

If I were the gmen, I’d go after Haskins.  With the Skins and jags being the other 2 teams in competition for a qb, they could get the best qb in the draft.  The teams in the top 5 need to try and make those qb needy teams spend some picks to get their QB.  Eager to see how these QBs grade out during the draft process.  

I thought they made the right call since all of the QB's had serious questions and I thought the QB draft class was overrated.  Same goes for the Broncos passing on Allen and Rosen.  Barkley was being called a generational player and you'd be crazy to pass on him if you bought that hype.  He's already the best running back in the league and is an absolute freak reminiscent of Bo Jackson pre injury.  Chubb has 12 sacks through 13 games and needs 3 more to break the rookie sack record. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Just for fun:

To me - the RB has played well, but even if you draft a QB next year it is probably year 2 or 3 before he is taking the team anyplace - by that point Barkley is in year 4 and looking at a huge contract for a 5th year option or 2nd contract.

Therefore to me the wise thing at that spot was to grab a QB, but I get why they did not.  It was similar to the Bills the the year before - new GM/coach combo wanting to scout players and choose a good fit at QB.  I think for Pat Shurmer and that team - Darnold would be a great fit and having time to sit behind Eli would have made this team better now and going forward, but I get it and as I said in the buyers remorse thread - I do not think they are too upset because Barkley has been good.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 1

I still take Barkley. The guy is the next great NFL RB and he's showing you why already. They will get their QB this year or next. The OL still needs work as well as the defense, but they have two of the best at their respective skill positions in the league for at least the next 4 years. 

Even if Barkley were the best RB prospect in NFL history, I wouldn’t take him at #2.

The Giants are paying Saquon roughly 1,200% more than the Broncos are paying their rookie RB and the Broncos arguably have the better player. 

The Giants would have been far better off taking a QB, Chubb, Denzel Ward, or basically anything other than Barkley. 

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BillsRdue said:

I'd take Barkley. He is a known commodity and will continue to dominate. The jury is still not out on any of the 5 QB's. So far Baker is legit and the best of the bunch but he was unavailable. Time will tell but I think it was a good move to take Barkley. 

Barkey’s “domination” has led the Giants to last place in the NFC East.   No matter how good he is, the difference between him and a guy they could draft in round 2 or 3 won’t be huge.  Hell, he’s not better than Kareem Hunt, who’s available now, free of charge!  

And the Giants won’t enjoy 4 years of a great young qb on a rookie deal—the best bargain in sports.  If Allen or any of the other QBs become franchise QBs their franchises will be set for 10 years or more.  Barkley is just a shiny fantasy foootball toy.