What’s your definition of an alcoholic?

13 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I have 2-3 glasses of wine or beers just about every night after the kids go to bed.  I guess if you add it all up I might have 20-25 drinks per week (a few more on weekend nights).  Some might consider me to be an alcoholic I guess.

I guess where I draw that line is whether or not the hooch has a negative impact on your life functioning.  Are you able to wake up and be productive at work?  Are you able to be kind to and provide for your family?  Are you able to have a few drinks without being an *****?  Do you know when is enough?

Alcohol doesn’t negatively impact my life (except for the few extra pounds and the rare mild hangover).  Bottoms up!

There's also the cases where people who are generally ***** have a few drinks and become tolerable. Booze is a hard puzzle to solve.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

There's also the cases where people who are generally ***** have a few drinks and become tolerable. Booze is a hard puzzle to solve.

I call BS.  What came first, the alcoholic or the azz hole?  I say the alcoholic.

3 minutes ago, mead107 said:

My father was an alcoholic.  Died of  liver damage. Fall down drunk.    

Mine too.  But still kicking.  Hasn't touched a drop for 25 years.

Couldn't just have 1 drink,  had to be 10.  /smh

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I call BS.  What came first, the alcoholic or the azz hole?  I say the alcoholic.

I'm not sure what you're calling BS on. I've been with people in different situations where they were sober and it was hard to tolerate them. I wouldn't necessarily call all of them *****, but it was just kind of a chore to carry on a conversation with them. When they had a few drinks they loosened up a bit at it kind of took the edge off of the conversation and atmosphere. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I'm not sure what you're calling BS on. I've been with people in different situations where they were sober and it was hard to tolerate them. I wouldn't necessarily call all of them *****, but it was just kind of a chore to carry on a conversation with them. When they had a few drinks they loosened up a bit at it kind of took the edge off of the conversation and atmosphere. 

Sorry, what I mean is the drinking is making them the jerk.  When they don't get the drink, that's where the problem is.

Have you ever saw them truly clean?  Free of the dependency?

EDIT: Assuming they were chronic drinkers, maybe even alcoholics.  ???

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

5 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Sorry, what I mean is the drinking is making them the jerk.  When they don't get the drink, that's where the problem is.

Have you ever saw them truly clean?  Free of the dependency?

Gotcha..........I don't think any of the people I was referring to have a drinking problem. It's probably the exact opposite actually. They are so socially awkward and I think a drink or 2 helps them relax and become more personable..

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Gotcha..........I don't think any of the people I was referring to have a drinking problem. It's probably the exact opposite actually. They are so socially awkward and I think a drink or 2 helps them relax and become more personable..

Yeah...  Understand.  They would then have to watch the dependency trap.  Not fall into it.

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I dunno but it's probably something along the lines of when you start asking strangers on football messageboards for alcoholism advice.

Too funny.

But in all honesty.  If your body craves it, gives you the signs you NEED IT, that's when you are probably an alcoholic.

Now... If those physical signals are apparent and you can do without, go without... Then I would say one is most likely NOT an alcoholic.

I mean, when it gets bad, there are reasons some will go through DT's.

When you feel like crap and crave, the drink makes you feel better and can't say no to it... Probably an alkie.  Who are we kidding, not probably but: are an alkie.

6 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Too funny.

But in all honesty.  If your body craves it, gives you the signs you NEED IT, that's when you are probably an alcoholic.

Now... If those physical signals are apparent and you can do without, go without... Then I would say one is most likely NOT an alcoholic.

I mean, when it gets bad, there are reasons some will go through DT's.

When you feel like crap and crave, the drink makes you feel better and can't say no to it... Probably an alkie.  Who are we kidding, not probably but: are an alkie.

It's in my genes, pops has multiple drinks a day, his dad drank himself to death before 50 but back in those days they didn't know any better...I used to drink but once I started I didn't stop. Definitely have a problem w/ booze but I just try not to drink anymore.

Real answer is the very first time it crosses your mind that you think you might have a problem, you have a problem.

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

It's in my genes, pops has multiple drinks a day, his dad drank himself to death before 50 but back in those days they didn't know any better...I used to drink but once I started I didn't stop. Definitely have a problem w/ booze but I just try not to drink anymore.

Real answer is the very first time it crosses your mind that you think you might have a problem, you have a problem.

This sounds about right. I think if you're questioning yourself it's probably a problem. 

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I dunno but it's probably something along the lines of when you start asking strangers on football messageboards for advice.

FTFY

Oh wait. That’s the definition of a dummy. 

52 minutes ago, jr1 said:

drinking in the morning

My motto was “you can’t drink all day unless you start in the morning!”

Edited by Chef Jim

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

For me it’s not as much quantity but more dependency.  

I drink almost everyday.  Not getting drunk but a few beers or glass or two of liquor.  I get drunk maybe 3 times a year.  Some people would call me an alcoholic...like my parents.  My mom actually denied me a glass of wine on Thanksgiving because of my “drinking problem”.

When I think of an alcoholic, I think of someone who doesn’t have a stopping point.  They drink until the bottle is out or they black out.  It may not happen everyday or week or month....but when they start, they can’t stop.

Anyone who would consider that a 'drinking problem' is either an over-concerned mother or a real alcoholic.

As with any addiction, the test is whether or not you can stop if you want to or need to.

• Like (+1) 1