What’s your definition of an alcoholic?

For me it’s not as much quantity but more dependency.  

I drink almost everyday.  Not getting drunk but a few beers or glass or two of liquor.  I get drunk maybe 3 times a year.  Some people would call me an alcoholic...like my parents.  My mom actually denied me a glass of wine on Thanksgiving because of my “drinking problem”.

When I think of an alcoholic, I think of someone who doesn’t have a stopping point.  They drink until the bottle is out or they black out.  It may not happen everyday or week or month....but when they start, they can’t stop.

• Like (+1) 2

This is a tough one. I guess there are technical definitions for alcoholism as far as dependency or how many drinks a person has at one time or over the course of a week. I guess I would classify an alcoholic as someone who puts the need to have a drink ahead of day to day activities such as work, family, etc.....I think by most standards I would be considered a functional alcoholic. I don't drink Monday - Wednesday. I have a good job, go to all my kids events, maintain the house, but I get after it pretty good Thursday - Sunday quantity wise. I'm pretty much strictly a beer guy and it's not like I fiend for alcohol of any kind. There's been a bottle of Belvedere in the house for going on 3 years. I have an addictive personality in pretty much all things. It's balls to the wall or nothing. I'm not good at moderation.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Like (+1) 2

I don't know what an alcoholic is.  I mean I don't remember what an alcoholic is.  I used to be one.  Got sober via AA many, many, many years ago.  Haven't gone back to booze, drugs, etc.  No, thanks!

It's coincidence you posted this, though.  I was just thinking the last couple of days why anyone would drink during a NFL game.  If your team loses like the Bills did in the last two minutes on Sunday against the Jets, you're going to be pretty miserable.

:o

6 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

You are an alcoholic the moment you have questions if you are or not.

Pretty much right!

:)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Would only an alcoholic find Emma Stone attractive?

9 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

This is a tough one. I guess there are technical definitions for alcoholism as far as dependency or how many drinks a person has at one time or over the course of a week. I guess I would classify an alcoholic as someone who puts the need to have a drink ahead of day to day activities such as work, family, etc.....I think by most standards I would be considered a functional alcoholic. I don't drink Monday - Wednesday. I have a good job, go to all my kids events, maintain the house, but I get after it pretty good Thursday - Sunday quantity wise. I'm pretty much strictly a beer guy and it's not like I fiend for alcohol of any kind. There's been a bottle of Belvedere in the house for going on 3 years. I have an addictive personality in pretty much all things. It's balls to the wall or nothing. I'm not good at moderation.

My ex’s aunt used to pour a drink right before going to bed so she would have it right next to her first thing in the morning.  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Would only an alcoholic find Emma Stone attractive?

My ex’s aunt used to pour a drink right before going to bed so she would have it right next to her first thing in the morning.  

Question 1: I think drunks and teetotalers alike may or may not find her attractive. She's a bit of an odd case. Different strokes for different folks.

Your ex's aunt would probably be an alcoholic according to my calculations. I make a concerted effort not to drink before noon. I'm going to make an exception this Sunday though for Liverpool/ ManU.

I drink every day. Beer and wine, mostly. My doctor says at 218lbs and 6' tall, I'm obese. Those who have met me in person would (HOPEFULLY) beg to differ. 

I run a 5k essentially every day and eat healthy.

If I stopped drinking I would weigh 185 in a month.

I ain't stopping.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

For me it’s not as much quantity but more dependency.  

I drink almost everyday.  Not getting drunk but a few beers or glass or two of liquor.  I get drunk maybe 3 times a year.  Some people would call me an alcoholic...like my parents.  My mom actually denied me a glass of wine on Thanksgiving because of my “drinking problem”.

When I think of an alcoholic, I think of someone who doesn’t have a stopping point.  They drink until the bottle is out or they black out.  It may not happen everyday or week or month....but when they start, they can’t stop.

How much blow though ? 

I have 2-3 glasses of wine or beers just about every night after the kids go to bed.  I guess if you add it all up I might have 20-25 drinks per week (a few more on weekend nights).  Some might consider me to be an alcoholic I guess.

I guess where I draw that line is whether or not the hooch has a negative impact on your life functioning.  Are you able to wake up and be productive at work?  Are you able to be kind to and provide for your family?  Are you able to have a few drinks without being an *****?  Do you know when is enough?

Alcohol doesn’t negatively impact my life (except for the few extra pounds and the rare mild hangover).  Bottoms up!

• Like (+1) 1

I've struggled with alcohol for a long time.  I don't drink everyday.  I can go a week or weeks without a drink.  My issue is I'm a binge drinker.  I have one and it's on.  So does that make me an alcoholic?  Well I think it's safe to say it is a form of alcoholism.  I would hate to be the person who has to fight the urges everyday. That would be horrible. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Chef Jim said:

I've struggled with alcohol for a long time.  I don't drink everyday.  I can go a week or weeks without a drink.  My issue is I'm a binge drinker.  I have one and it's on.  So does that make me an alcoholic?  Well I think it's safe to say it is a form of alcoholism.  I would hate to be the person who has to fight the urges everyday. That would be horrible. 

I have a chef friend who drank Tito’s on the rocks just about all day long...every single day.  Ruined his career temporarily, ***** up reltionships with his family, lost his wife.  I remember when he finally went to rehab.  I was appalled at how physically dependent he was on the booze.  It was like he was dying.  Throwing up, sweating profusely, borderline psychotic.  The worst of it lasted nearly a week.  Very scary.  He’s been clean for a while now and has straightened out his life.  That’s a bit extreme, but certainly someone who I would consider an alcoholic.  Then and now even though he hasn’t had a drink in year.

Just opened up a restaurant/hotel in Napa as Exec Chef, BTW.

25 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

I have a chef friend who drank Tito’s on the rocks just about all day long...every single day.  Ruined his career temporarily, ***** up reltionships with his family, lost his wife.  I remember when he finally went to rehab.  I was appalled at how physically dependent he was on the booze.  It was like he was dying.  Throwing up, sweating profusely, borderline psychotic.  The worst of it lasted nearly a week.  Very scary.  He’s been clean for a while now and has straightened out his life.  That’s a bit extreme, but certainly someone who I would consider an alcoholic.  Then and now even though he hasn’t had a drink in year.

Just opened up a restaurant/hotel in Napa as Exec Chef, BTW.

I was working in a restaurant in Beverly Hills in the early 90's.  We had a sister restaurant in Venice Beach. Chef there was 35 and drank pretty much as you described.  He passed out at work one day and was dead a month later.  Poisoned his liver.  I quit right then and there.  I drank heavily every day.   Quit cold turkey and didn't touch a drop for 10 years.  Been out of that career for nearly 20 years and have been off and on the wagon for the past 20.  It's not easy. 

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Thank you (+1) 1