TBD Best Tailgate food before home games.

mead107

10 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Beaver chili 

Breakfast fatties 

pulled pork 

shrimp kabobs 

sauage and peppers 

wings after the game 

So many good foods 

Maybe Gugny can set up a poll

Beaver chili ? ... I think I'll stick to alcohol ... If I'm going for beaver it'll be in the backseat.

19 minutes ago, mead107 said:

We had roasted chestnuts 

we have some members that make awesome bloody Mary’s  

I like the Bloody Mary's made with Clamato. It's a Bloody Caesar and is a big thing in Canada.

Tito's vodka is a must--and is better than a vodka that costs twice as much.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Beaver chili 

Breakfast fatties 

pulled pork 

shrimp kabobs 

sauage and peppers 

wings after the game 

So many good foods 

Maybe Gugny can set up a poll

Sure .... for $35.

1 hour ago, mead107 said:

We had roasted chestnuts 

we have some members that make awesome bloody Mary’s 

When I was five... My Mother got the novel idea of roasting chestnuts in the oven. Well, she forgot to cut a relief vent.  Well they were popping like bullets, then she got the great idea to open the oven door.  We were running for the hills!  LoL...

33 minutes ago, mead107 said:

I thought you  could do it cheaper.  I will give you one of Fergy’s beers that I still have.  

You son of a... ?

6 hours ago, coloradobillsfan said:

chiavettas marinated chicken (for at least 2 days) is our group's favorite.  that crispy skin glglglglghh

You realize after 4hours the vinager is actually cooking the chicken right? Marinating over 4 hours is not good for you. FYI. 

26 minutes ago, Idandria said:

What’s a breakfast fatty? Donno that one. 

Your missing out 

34 minutes ago, mrags said:

You realize after 4hours the vinager is actually cooking the chicken right? Marinating over 4 hours is not good for you. FYI. 

Your missing out 

Why is it bad?  I think lemon/lime/citric acid would cook it "cerviche style", not vinegar.

???  Can anybody explain why it's bad?

This from the USDA:

"Piercing the chicken with a fork, or cutting it into smaller pieces will help it absorb marinade. In general, two hours of marinatingis long enough for the meat to soak up the flavor, but poultry can marinate for up to two days in the refrigerator, according to the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service."

https://www.foodsafety.gov/blog/marinades.html

• Storing marinated food: If things get busy and you end up not cooking the chicken, don’t worry! You can store marinated poultry in your refrigerator for two days. Beef, veal, pork, and lamb roasts, chops, and steaks may be marinated up to 5 days.

6 hours ago, mrags said:

Your missing out 

This is interesting.  The only info I can find online about marinating is telling me the health benefits to marinating; no risks (other than the obvious, i.e. - not reusing, etc.).

The vinegar is breaking down tissue, but I can't find anything about the vinegar actually cooking the meat.

Not saying you're wrong ... I just can't find anything about it.  I'm not much of a marinater, but I still find this interesting.

• Like (+1) 1

I make ceviche regularly.

It's my absolute favorite food.

I've been told the process will ruin the texture of chicken as it breaks down the proteins, and not to leave chicken in any acidic marinade for more than four hours, but that would vary depending on the acidity.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

Um, you missed one.........

MEAD'S STROMBOLI!!!!!

Especially the breakfast one!

And Seasons Manhattans..although we had one in our group maybe had one too many Manhattans!!! Awesome

15 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Beaver chili ? ... I think I'll stick to alcohol ... If I'm going for beaver it'll be in the backseat.

not just beaver..ROADKILL beaver !!!

45 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The vinegar is breaking down tissue,

I would think this is the biggest detriment. Chicken can become mealy if marinated, and for the case brined, for too long.

And for @YoloinOhio who wanted recipes..here is our group's wing recipe

1) Lots of oil @ 360

2) throw naked wings in

3) Swirl cooked wings in big bowl with some Franks in the bottom, might even be some butter in the Franks  if  @mead107 has some after we forgot to bring ours!

4) repeat like 5 times with about 20 wings each batch

BTW, for those who have never had a breakfast stromboli to start their football day at Hammers..you are missing an essential part of tailgating at Bills games!

While the breakfast fatties are great..the sandwiches @mrags made @ the Monday nighter might be the best thing I have ever tasted at a football game

Edited by plenzmd1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, mrags said:

Interesting, I had not considered it from this angle.  Of course I notice that it turns pale during the process.  But from experience I can tell you that 4 hours is not nearly enough.  Overnight is not enough either.  Sure there will be flavor but it does not reach the bone.  For a Sunday tailgate, I will start the process on Friday night and over the course of the weekend I will rotate the pieces a few times to ensure even coverage.  Bone-in chicken thighs are my usual choice because they are cheap and have that wonderful chicken skin that crisps to perfection when grilled right.  No one reaches for any sauce, and at the end there is just a pile of bones - an indication of success in my book.  I do not notice any discernible change in texture, so if there is I would say it is negligible.  If there is any actual health hazard involved in marinating meat this long I'd be curious to know about it, if only to conscientiously ignore it like I do with most other such things at our tailgates :)