Potential Cut Candidates in the Offseason

DCOrange

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

real fans know, for all sports

especially when I'm told Joe Namath and Lou Brock weren't anything remotely special

Did you know that EJ Manuel had better stats his first year than Josh Allen? :lol:

16 minutes ago, Rico said:

Did you know that EJ Manuel had better stats his first year than Josh Allen? :lol:

reading about a new baseball stat that is getting the trumpeting treatment

apparently it proves that Mark McGwire was a much better ballplayer than Babe Ruth

People realize WRs that don’t have a great catch radius will be tough. Josh Allen is not the most accurate passer. 

He is not bad, it will just help to grab WRs who can shield and make a tough contested catch IMO. Obviously great route runners who can get separation helps too.

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

And he has been solid at his job. I don't think he has been any better than that and he is certainly getting too much money. That said McDermott likes to play with active linebackers and so a player of Star's type is kind of a necessity and they knew what they were getting with him after having him in Carolina.

Free agents are almost always going to be overpaid.  And it's OK to have a few overpaid guys on the roster.

He's making $10 million per year, but contributing at a maybe a $7 million level.

I would rather have a player like that (who is at least helping us win) than a guy like Russell Bodine who is making $2-3 million and is a major liability.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...not really convinced about Castillo, Robiskie, Culley or even Frazier for that matter.....plenty of discussion about them here with very few positives.....Robiskie (37 yrs), Culley (25 yrs) and Frazier (20 yrs) have been in the coaching ranks for a long time....sure there are those that lean heavily in favor of that coaching experience.....just can't buy that these guys are victims to 100% personnel failures as in a gang of 53 pocketing $150+ mil.......perhaps some of their perceived "tried and true" teachings and techniques have not kept up with the evolution of the current game......we're going "younger" personnel wise so why not some fresh young minds in the coaching ranks?....just a thought....look how McBeane dumped most if not all of the OBD "scouting staff lifers", some with 30 yrs experience........

Fire Robiskie move Cully to Wrs coach and pay Defillipo handsomely to become our new QB coach.

1 minute ago, BillsFan1988 said:

Fire Robiskie move Cully to Wrs coach and pay Defillipo handsomely to become our new QB coach.

....perhaps...I'm not sure what the right coaching moves may be....all I know is that this gang better take a long, hard & serious look at coaching positions relative to their abilities....NOT buying this nepotism crap.......and you'll never convince me that some of them are solely "victims of bad personnel"......53 guys banking $150+ mil?........

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....perhaps...I'm not sure what the right coaching moves may be....all I know is that this gang better take a long, hard & serious look at coaching positions relative to their abilities....NOT buying this nepotism crap.......and you'll never convince me that some of them are solely "victims of bad personnel"......53 guys banking $150+ mil?........

All I know is replacing Crossman & Castillo will go a long way in improving this team.

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...any reason to keep DiMarco around?....think he's been in the Witness Protection Program for st least 10 games in 2018......

His contract isn't a bid deal, as you could cut him anytime with minimal dead cap. I would sign a guy like Maxx Williams who doubles as a tight end and fullback so you free up a roster spot. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 12/14/2018 at 9:15 AM, mjt328 said:

Players like Star Lotulelei will never get much credit with either....But he's the one keeping linemen from getting their hands on Matt Milano and Tremaine Edmunds, making it easier for them to stop the ball carrier.

We certainly hope that's the case, don't we? 

I vaguely recall an article earlier this season making the case for Star doing yeoman's work, but haven't seen any evidence-based analysis of his impact lately.

Anyone got evidence he's filling his role well? Traditional stats (tackles, pressures, sacks, etc.) don't tell the story, is what we're hoping...

On 12/13/2018 at 9:54 PM, DCOrange said:

Spotrac published a list of players that they think could potentially be cut in the offseason and provided some notes about whether or not they really think it's realistic that they could be cut, cap ramifications, etc. It's sorted by position so it's pretty easy to scroll down to the guys you want to read about.

https://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/potential-2019-nfl-roster-bubbles-819/

Of note, the WRs discussed:

Allen Robinson

Mohamed Sanu

Demaryius Thomas

DeSean Jackson

Kenny Stills

Devante Parker

Michael Crabtree

Marvin Jones

Pierre Garcon

Cameron Meredith

Travis Benjamin

Allen Hurns

Willie Snead

Bills players discussed:

LeSean McCoy

Chris Ivory

Charles Clay

Star Lotulelei

Wow figured it would take at least until next year for people to see how bad of a signing this was. Guess not. But McD wont see it because of the Carolina connection so he stays. 

On 12/14/2018 at 3:31 PM, 947 said:

Trent Murphy is a pretty good player. Sure, he's had some injury issues, but he's performed on the field. I don't see him going anywhere, it's not like there are better pass rushers available for less.

We need to draft one. And Murphy is already the 4th man up. So if we draft a young pass rusher and Murphy is the 5th man up you want to pay an extra $5m next year for that? 

On 12/13/2018 at 1:58 PM, tbarg12 said:

I don't see Star getting cut after one season, even if they get another DT in the draft he may just become some added depth since McDermott likes to rotate the DL. Charles Clay should definitely be gone though, I have never been a big fan of his contract and production on the field. 

Wouldn't mind seeing the Bills sign Sanu, always kind of reminded me of Robert Woods with just being a solid #2 option. But I wouldn't overpay for him if Foster ends the season on a high note. 

Also, Kyle Williams future is unknown.

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/13/2018 at 5:45 PM, GunnerBill said:

Yep. It was designed with a one year out. It wasn't a bad punt to take, but he has been hobbling around like a wounded zebra all year. It hasn't worked out. He has been significantly outplayed by Shaq Lawson. You don't spend $5m on someone who hasn't contributed

It was “designed” to have a 3.5 million dead cap.  No team would say oh it’s only. 3.5 million dead cap its an easy out.  That would be a terrible plan and admitting a Terrible signing.   Don’t think that happens with this regime.