Potential Cut Candidates in the Offseason

DCOrange

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Trent will be cut. 

...would you say GB that his contract was designed for a cap friendly "easy out"?.......coming off an ACL AND PED suspension leads me to believe McBeane saw him as a one year stop gap measure unless he proved otherwise......and I don't think he has come close consistently............

• Like (+1) 1

I'd still take Demaryious Thomas. He came into the league a raw route runner. He is now a professor of route running. I think he could contribute in the passing game as the redzone type KB was supposed to be and as a 3rd down chain mover but he would also be a fantastic teacher for our young guys - the Foster and McKenzie's of this world. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...would you say GB that his contract was designed for a cap friendly "easy out"?.......coming off an ACL AND PED suspension leads me to believe McBeane saw him as a one year stop gap measure unless he proved otherwise......and I don't think he has come close consistently............

Yep. It was designed with a one year out. It wasn't a bad punt to take, but he has been hobbling around like a wounded zebra all year. It hasn't worked out. He has been significantly outplayed by Shaq Lawson. You don't spend $5m on someone who hasn't contributed

41 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...not really convinced about Castillo, Robiskie, Culley or even Frazier for that matter.....plenty of discussion about them here with very few positives.....Robiskie (37 yrs), Culley (25 yrs) and Frazier (20 yrs) have been in the coaching ranks for a long time....sure there are those that lean heavily in favor of that coaching experience.....just can't buy that these guys are victims to 100% personnel failures as in a gang of 53 pocketing $150+ mil.......perhaps some of their perceived "tried and true" teachings and techniques have not kept up with the evolution of the current game......we're going "younger" personnel wise so why not some fresh young minds in the coaching ranks?....just a thought....look how McBeane dumped most if not all of the OBD "scouting staff lifers", some with 30 yrs experience........

I do not agree on Robiskie at all.  The fact is that the Bills young receivers, particularly Jones and Foster, have shown great improvement. You have to give him some credit there.  It is certainly not his fault that Benjamin underperformed.  That is entirely on Benjamin.  

I would like like an upgrade at QB coach, Special Teams, and OL coaching.  OL is the number one priority, then ST.  I can live with Frazier for now.  

For players, they should move on from McCoy - he is a team player but he looks done.  Clay is a goner.  Ivory has been productive but I think he was stop gap.  Start and Trent are not going anywhere.  

Edited by FLFan

1 hour ago, vincec said:

I don’t think any of this Bills players listed are going to be cut with the possible exception of Clay. The RBs, with Murphy, make up the best overall position group on the offense and there is no replacement for Lotulelei on the roster. Plus he’s been playing fine.

if I had to guess impossible early on cuts, before FA or the draft,  I’d be looking at Clay, Groy, Ducasse, Anderson and Barkley.

I don't know about cutting Barkley, we need a backup QB.  I'd extend him.  The others you mentioned can go.

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. It was designed with a one year out. It wasn't a bad punt to take, but he has been hobbling around like a wounded zebra all year. It hasn't worked out. He has been significantly outplayed by Shaq Lawson. You don't spend $5m on someone who hasn't contributed

...certainly agree....with cap clearing/expected limitations as well as having to put the "garbage at the curb", McBeane had holes to fill....good call friend.....

9 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

Because people who do not watch games make lists off of box scores...........

..."best and the brightest" then I presume??.......:thumbsup:...OR...they THINK so............

7 minutes ago, FLFan said:

I do not agree on Robiskie at all.  The fact is that the Bills young receivers, particularly Jones and Foster, have shown great improvement. You have to give him some credit there.  It is certainly not his fault that Benjamin underperformed.  That is entirely on Benjamin.  

I would like like an upgrade at QB coach, Special Teams, and OL coaching.  OL is the number one priority, then ST.  I can live with Frazier for now.  

For players, they should move on from McCoy - he is a team player but he looks done.  Clay is a goner.  Ivory has been productive but I think he was stop gap.  Start and Trent are not going anywhere.  

...leave Benjabum out of the equation for a moment.....there were many posts citing our receivers' inability to run routes correctly.......fakes news?......an indictment of Robiskie coaching?....typical "overblown" TBD yips?.......what do you think?.....

5 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...leave Benjabum out of the equation for a moment.....there were many posts citing our receivers' inability to run routes correctly.......fakes news?......an indictment of Robiskie coaching?....typical "overblown" TBD yips?.......what do you think?.....

I'all take typical overblown TBD yips for $1,000 Alex ...  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Interesting list, I can certainly see some guys getting cut and also some guys of interest for us.  A couple stand out though, for instance Allen Robinson.  I seriously doubt he gets cut.  Bears are set on D, have good backs, and Trubisky has taken a step forward as a passer.  And Allen is coming off a major injury last year, so I think he certainly sticks around next year as that team continues to get stronger.  I mean they are already a SB threat.

Star - Just cant see him being cut, we dont need the cap room and he does more than the stat sheet suggests.  Only way for me to see us cutting him would be if we made a hefty offseason investment into the DT position by FA, draft, or even both.  

Couple of guy standout for me on that WR list to target if they all came available:  

D Jax - Speed to really open up the field, and he showed with Fitz he can be quite productive with a QB not afraid to chuck it down field.  

DeVante Parker - This guy needs a fresh start.  Due to injuries, he has gotten to flash some of that potential here later in the season.  Injury history is a concern, but he would likely be inexpensive and a low risk, high reward type play.  

Allen, Marvin, etc would also be interesting.  But I dont think either get cut.  Liions pass attack is terrible without both Tate and Jones in there.  I think they will want Marvin back as their #2 next year.  

Yeah, I can't see Robinson or Star being cut personally.

I fully expect DeSean Jackson to be. He's just too expensive for what his role is in Tampa at this point. Evans and Godwin are a great 1-2 combo and Tampa can free up $10 million by cutting DeSean.

The ones that I'm personally interested in are:

Robinson (but like I said, I highly doubt he gets cut)

Kenny Stills

Marvin Jones

Demaryius Thomas

And not super interested, but I could see Buffalo bringing in a veteran presence like Pierre Garcon if he's cut.

I'd be fine with taking a shot on Devante Parker too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FLFan said:

The 4 C's have to go. Crossman, Castillo, Culley & Clay. We're probably seeing Shady's last 3 games. Ivory will probably be gone.

Not sure if Dimarco should survive? Like to see Lorenzo and Kyle go 1 last year....it will be a crucial off season.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1