Potential Cut Candidates in the Offseason

DCOrange

Spotrac published a list of players that they think could potentially be cut in the offseason and provided some notes about whether or not they really think it's realistic that they could be cut, cap ramifications, etc. It's sorted by position so it's pretty easy to scroll down to the guys you want to read about.

https://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/potential-2019-nfl-roster-bubbles-819/

Of note, the WRs discussed:

Allen Robinson

Mohamed Sanu

Demaryius Thomas

DeSean Jackson

Kenny Stills

Devante Parker

Michael Crabtree

Marvin Jones

Pierre Garcon

Cameron Meredith

Travis Benjamin

Allen Hurns

Willie Snead

Bills players discussed:

LeSean McCoy

Chris Ivory

Charles Clay

Star Lotulelei

no way Star gets cut.   He's been decent at opening holes for the LB's and clogging space.  He's only cut if we get a DT in the 1st, and even then I don't see the need to cut a position of strength. 

Clay is gone.   Esp. if we upgrade in FA with Jessie James, Eifert, or Cook. 

6 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Spotrac published a list of players that they think could potentially be cut in the offseason and provided some notes about whether or not they really think it's realistic that they could be cut, cap ramifications, etc. It's sorted by position so it's pretty easy to scroll down to the guys you want to read about. 

Allen Robinson

Mohamed Sanu

Demaryius Thomas

DeSean Jackson

Kenny Stills

Devante Parker 

Michael Crabtree

Marvin Jones 

Pierre Garcon

Cameron Meredith

Travis Benjamin 

Allen Hurns

Willie Snead

Bills players discussed:

LeSean McCoy

Chris Ivory

Charles Clay

Star Lotulelei

some great WR names in that list.   I'd like a lot of them, esp. Marvin Jones. 

• Like (+1) 3

I don’t think any of this Bills players listed are going to be cut with the possible exception of Clay. The RBs, with Murphy, make up the best overall position group on the offense and there is no replacement for Lotulelei on the roster. Plus he’s been playing fine.

if I had to guess impossible early on cuts, before FA or the draft,  I’d be looking at Clay, Groy, Ducasse, Anderson and Barkley.

Edited by vincec

19 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...how or when did Star make the list?.....thought he was quietly going about his business.....

Yeah, I mean, I personally think Star was a waste of a contract and I would love to hit the undo button on it, but I don't at all foresee Buffalo cutting him after one year and I don't think it really makes sense financially to do so either.

They mention in the article that they think he might have been the worst FA signing of the offseason though. It seems like they think the Bills would simply improve by not having him on the team.

5 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Mills gets a pass?  Hope not.

Mills is a free agent

38 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

no way Star gets cut.   He's been decent at opening holes for the LB's and clogging space.  He's only cut if we get a DT in the 1st, and even then I don't see the need to cut a position of strength. 

Clay is gone.   Esp. if we upgrade in FA with Jessie James, Eifert, or Cook. 

some great WR names in that list.   I'd like a lot of them, esp. Marvin Jones. 

Sanu is ok by me! 

10 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

^^^^^This. 

Double ^^^this^^^

26 minutes ago, vincec said:

I don’t think any of this Bills players listed are going to be cut with the possible exception of Clay. The RBs, with Murphy, make up the best overall position group on the offense and there is no replacement for Lotulelei on the roster. Plus he’s been playing fine.

if I had to guess impossible early on cuts, before FA or the draft,  I’d be looking at Clay, Groy, Ducasse, Anderson and Barkley.

Groy will not be a Bill next year- he is beyond awful

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Allen Robinson

Mohamed Sanu

Demaryius Thomas

DeSean Jackson

Kenny Stills

Devante Parker

Michael Crabtree

Marvin Jones

Pierre Garcon

Cameron Meredith

Travis Benjamin

Allen Hurns

Willie Snead

Bills players discussed:

LeSean McCoy

Chris Ivory

Charles Clay

Star Lotulelei

Interesting list, I can certainly see some guys getting cut and also some guys of interest for us.  A couple stand out though, for instance Allen Robinson.  I seriously doubt he gets cut.  Bears are set on D, have good backs, and Trubisky has taken a step forward as a passer.  And Allen is coming off a major injury last year, so I think he certainly sticks around next year as that team continues to get stronger.  I mean they are already a SB threat.

Star - Just cant see him being cut, we dont need the cap room and he does more than the stat sheet suggests.  Only way for me to see us cutting him would be if we made a hefty offseason investment into the DT position by FA, draft, or even both.  

Couple of guy standout for me on that WR list to target if they all came available:  

D Jax - Speed to really open up the field, and he showed with Fitz he can be quite productive with a QB not afraid to chuck it down field.  

DeVante Parker - This guy needs a fresh start.  Due to injuries, he has gotten to flash some of that potential here later in the season.  Injury history is a concern, but he would likely be inexpensive and a low risk, high reward type play.  

Allen, Marvin, etc would also be interesting.  But I dont think either get cut.  Liions pass attack is terrible without both Tate and Jones in there.  I think they will want Marvin back as their #2 next year.  

• Like (+1) 1

...this gang had better apply the same personnel changes/cuts scrutiny to the coaching staff as well.....no "free lunches" for them.......why draft young talent and some some quality FA's only to be coached/taught by Moe, Larry, Curly and/or Shemp?.....doesn't cut it for me.............

• Like (+1) 1

I don't see Star getting cut after one season, even if they get another DT in the draft he may just become some added depth since McDermott likes to rotate the DL. Charles Clay should definitely be gone though, I have never been a big fan of his contract and production on the field. 

Wouldn't mind seeing the Bills sign Sanu, always kind of reminded me of Robert Woods with just being a solid #2 option. But I wouldn't overpay for him if Foster ends the season on a high note. 

41 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Mills gets a pass?  Hope not.

He is young so I can see them hanging onto him for another year before they give up, but he certainly could go if they can find someone better.

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...this gang had better apply the same personnel changes/cuts scrutiny to the coaching staff as well.....no "free lunches" for them.......why draft young talent and some some quality FA's only to be coached/taught by Moe, Larry, Curly and/or Shemp?.....doesn't cut it for me.............

Who besides Crossman?

11 minutes ago, vincec said:

He is young so I can see them hanging onto him for another year before they give up, but he certainly could go if they can find someone better.

Who besides Crossman?

...not really convinced about Castillo, Robiskie, Culley or even Frazier for that matter.....plenty of discussion about them here with very few positives.....Robiskie (37 yrs), Culley (25 yrs) and Frazier (20 yrs) have been in the coaching ranks for a long time....sure there are those that lean heavily in favor of that coaching experience.....just can't buy that these guys are victims to 100% personnel failures as in a gang of 53 pocketing $150+ mil.......perhaps some of their perceived "tried and true" teachings and techniques have not kept up with the evolution of the current game......we're going "younger" personnel wise so why not some fresh young minds in the coaching ranks?....just a thought....look how McBeane dumped most if not all of the OBD "scouting staff lifers", some with 30 yrs experience........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1