Patrick Peterson Trade Value

BillsMafia13

15 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Are you getting Champ Bailey (who played well past age 29) or Darrelle Revis (who fell off a cliff after age 29)? Bailey will be 29 next season, and he's a speed guy. That would concern me at least a little. He doesn't seem like the sort of guy who can transition to safety either (and the Bills don't really need a safety at the moment).

Thats a fair criticism and question.  Honestly, I was giving Peterson the benefit of the doubt that he is still playing at the Elite level and can continue.  While I have watched a lot of AZ play this year, I really only have on when they have the ball to see what Rosen has looked like and change the channel to another game when their Defense is on the field.  So any opinion I could share on that wouldn't be reliable as I am not really qualified to form one since I haven't really watched him this year.  

I would however fully trust that McD and Beane could certainly form a reliable opinion on the matter though if hey did make a trade for him.  They have certainly done quite well evaluating DB's.  

19 minutes ago, BillsInWilmingtonNC said:

I would have to disagree with this in that I would much rather trust McBeane to find a good veteran in free agency to fill the CB2, or if the options are draft Greedy or trade for Patrick Peterson, I would much rather draft Greedy.  Legion of Boom was drafted, and I fully believe McBeane can draft their version of Legion of Boom.

Fair opinion, and honestly I do not even really disagree with this.  McD and Beane have proven to be good at evaluating DB's thus far, so I would have confidence in them to find guys. However, if PP can still play at the Elite level for the next 2 years, I do think he is worth the trade given we have plenty of cap space to absorb him.  

• Like (+1) 1

a first rounder and big salary for 2 years?  Then another huge contract....for a (top) CB?  Nah.

This isn't a value proposition.  As others have noted, Tre is a star in the making.  Spending all the above on adding Peterson on the other side doesn't make this a significantly better passing D.  Is Arizona's passing D that much better now?  Numbers say no.  So why add Peterson at that cost?

This history of unwise FO moves is littered with huge sums paid for "shutdown CBs" deep into their prime.

16 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Look at Lattimore for example who took a big step back this year, Tre has been a phenom since week 1 last year.

Lattimore has most decidedly not taken a big step back this year. He has been a top 10 corner again. I do think Tre has very slightly outplayed him but they remain right there neck and neck. 

Patrick Peterson is still the best corner in the game. If I thought I could do it without giving up a 1st round pick I would not hesitate to go and trade for him. 

Peterson and White would give you two of the best corners in the National Football League. 

If the Bills wanna slow build this thing then fine. But you could go and get a stud like Peterson and get maybe sign Golden Tate in FA and say "we are going to win in 2019". It is a leap of faith in Allen but it is not that different to the leap of faith the Bears took in Trubisky. 

17 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

a first rounder and big salary for 2 years?  Then another huge contract....for a (top) CB?  Nah.

This isn't a value proposition.  As others have noted, Tre is a star in the making.  Spending all the above on adding Peterson on the other side doesn't make this a significantly better passing D.  Is Arizona's passing D that much better now?  Numbers say no.  So why add Peterson at that cost?

This history of unwise FO moves is littered with huge sums paid for "shutdown CBs" deep into their prime.

11 mil is not that heavy of a price for the arguably the best db in the game, we can definitely afford it.  I would absolutely rather trade for a WR/OL but if they could work a deal where we trade our first (top 10) for their second I would be all about it.  I doubt it would be that cheap considering what Macks price was for 1 year on his contract but hey im a dreamer. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, buffalover4life said:

Odell beckham please. He might actually be available too

I cant imagine that. But I’d be down to trade BIG for him. I’d give them this years forst, next years first, but I’d demand a 3 or a 4 come back to us. 

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

I get where you are coming from, but AZ as a whole is not as good as us on defense.  With PP opposite Tre, and our 2 safeties and guys like Levi and Taron coming on as nickel and dime packages, we are going to have one heck of a secondary that has the potential to be the best overall since the Legion of Boom.  Plus with guys like Edmunds and Milano at LB who can cover its going to be hard to pass on us and give our front guys more time to get pressure on the QB.

Like I said before though, full disclaimer is I am giving PP the benefit of the doubt he still plays at the same level and is capable of doing so for 2 more years of his contract.  I have not really watched him play this year personally as I only watch Cards when they have the ball to see what Rosen is doing.  

34 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get where you are coming from, but AZ as a whole is not as good as us on defense.  With PP opposite Tre, and our 2 safeties and guys like Levi and Taron coming on as nickel and dime packages, we are going to have one heck of a secondary that has the potential to be the best overall since the Legion of Boom.  Plus with guys like Edmunds and Milano at LB who can cover its going to be hard to pass on us and give our front guys more time to get pressure on the QB.

Like I said before though, full disclaimer is I am giving PP the benefit of the doubt he still plays at the same level and is capable of doing so for 2 more years of his contract.  I have not really watched him play this year personally as I only watch Cards when they have the ball to see what Rosen is doing.  

The Bills D weakness is against the run.  Getting Peterson won't help that or make their pass defense that much better than it already is.  No need to pay that much for a guy not many more years in the league.  He'll finish his career as guys like his type (Talib, Revis)  do---as mercenaries.

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

Wallace looks like he is killing it ever since they inserted him and he is a rookie......

Why make a trade like this when there are obvious needs on the team?

We are going to need a 3rd corner....but McD finds these guys when he orders a happy meal from McDonalds it seems

This is a good point. We could quite easily find a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round who McDermott can coach up. For any other faults he may have, identifying talent at DB, is not one of them. That being the case, I'd rather take the youth, tbh, but if McBeane decided to go after Peterson, I couldn't argue about it, due to how well they know DBs.

Peterson is an excellent player but he's just not what we should be focused on.  Offensive weapons are terribly difficult to get in free agency so the draft is our opportunity and even that's extremely difficult.  We can ill afford to give up draft picks even for someone as good as Peterson.  

7 hours ago, buffalover4life said:

i'd say Arizona would be able to get a Kahlil mack(27) like trade for the Patrick Peterson(28).  Something like 2 first round picks or if dealing this years picks, a top ten and an additional second rounder. He single handedly removes most teams top offensive threat and he is on his way to the Hall of fame as well

I think the CB position has less prime years than LB and DE.  So, I don't think the haul would be as large as Mack.  IMHO

7 hours ago, BillsMafia13 said:

So I know this was already a thread but after 15 weeks of evaluation,  I was wondering if Patrick Peterson was worth trading for and how much you would pay for him.  I assume he still wants out in Arizona and it would be amazing to pair him with White. 2 years left on his contract (11 and 12 mil) before we have to re-sign anyone big. 

For the investment to pay off they'd need to resign him, and that means a new contract after the first year, if not immediately.