Barnwell: Progress Report on 2018 1st Round QBs

DCOrange

Holy pile of garbage, Batman. Maybe I'm biased because I wouldn't mind seeing 10,000 birds take a dump on Barnwell but most of his words on Allen are crap. He basically blames everything on him while failing to acknowledge that the kid has carried the entire offense for the last three games. He also places Clay's drop on him. "Failed to hit a wide open Clay in the end zone." Writing that way is so misleading of what happened on the actual play. Most QB's don't even get the ball anywhere near Clay in the fashion that Allen did. Avoided pressure, running to his left and throws 40 yards down field to his right, sorry it can't be a pinpoint perfect pass, but it was in the ballpark and Clay knows he should've had it.

The other negative stuff he writes about is junk all rookie QBs face. 

• Like (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I'm only on the second paragraph, where he states "so far the Bills have gotten a less impressive version of Tyrod" and already see where this article is headed. In his first 5 starts he was overall pretty rough but the last 3 he has exceeded Taylor heavily in the pass game as well as with his legs! Just last week, people forget, his last drive, where he made 3 big time clutch throws that Taylor would never even attempt, as well as his 3rd down beautiful back shoulder throw to Zay around the 5 yard line that was actually called a catch and is a perfect example of how little help Allen has received from his WR corp. The pass was eventually overruled as incomplete, barely , but it should have been the 4th super impressive throw on the drive and set them up lovely with 1st n goal inside the 10 !

The previous week? He magically avoids an instant pass rush from his atrocious OL on the final play, on the road and his veteran , highly paid TE dropped what would have been another GW pass from this "bust". LoL. Bills fans are highly objective over Allen and the majority of us see what i see and that is just tremendous upside and potential as soon as next year. We all see he has an absolutely atrocious OL that all these writers fail to bring up. I just don't understand how this dude can make these type of comments if he has watched the last 3 games, where he is only 1-2 , but if his ST and OL is just average, he is 3-0 and even with them being ATROCIOUS, he still should have had 2 game winning drives with passes that should have been caught. 

I'm as excited as ive ever been, especially for a 4-9 team, I cannot wait til next year where we get to see our FRANCHISE QB with upgraded playmakers and OL shred defenses and these so called experts will have no choice but to report on his amazing skills accurately, because right now he is not getting a fair shake by the national media, who seem like they have a clear agenda against him and are rooting for him to fail and fail themselves to add any insight to why his numbers are so low. Dude is a stud, period, and I'm not no Allen fanboy , i'm just a die hard  Bills fan that calls it how i see it.

Meanwhile , the very first paragraph on Darnold, who has 20 points lower QBR, is how he has the worse supporting cast and no OL , but that was never mentioned with Allen, even when talking about the REASON he is scrambling so much. These guys are either not watching the film, which i doubt, or have that much hatred towards Allen, its truly pathetic and just clear biased takes by so many national writers. Not sure I've ever seen this much hate towards a rookie QB.

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Barnwell pretty clearly has always had a disdain for the Bills. Ive read his stuff going back to the Grantland days and he always found the most pessimistic view on our moves. I never quite understood it. One time I defended a move they made on twitter and he instantly blocked me.

I really am not one of those guys that thinks the media members hate certain teams but I really do think Barnwell doesnt like Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not clicking on that - based on the reviews above I'll declare it fake news.

Barnwell, Schopp and others who believe religiously in analytics have a huge vested interest in seeing that Allen is judged as a failure.  To do anything else would undercut their core beliefs, and they are far too arrogant to allow that.  

• Like (+1) 3

Didn't read it, but the claim is that Allen hasn't gotten better? 

Allen is still shaky in a number of ways, most notably accuracy and touch on intermediate passes. 

But Allen has MUCH better pocket awareness than he did in the beginning of the season.  Which is good, since his pocket basically lasts 1 second with this OL. 

Edited by RyanC883
  • Like (+1) 1

Didn't read the entire article.  Just hope Allen continues to get better.   One thing i mentioned yesterday in a thread is I expect Kiko Alonso to cheap shot Allen or go head hunting when Miami comes north on Dec. 30th.   The fact that he highlighted Kiko getting embarrassed in his article, re-emphasizes that.  

His predetermined disdain for Allen is pretty easy to pick up on. Writes an entire paragraph on Allen taking too many big hits but according to him, Lamar Jackson has been doing a great job at avoiding them. I've watched Jackson's touches and he has been getting lit up with hits. Also doesn't mention anything about Lamar's hideous throwing motion. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I sort of took the article as click bait and moved on.  I don't think anyone can reasonably argue that he hasn't at least gotten better since his first few starts. 

Barnwell is not clickbait. He’s posted more meaningful NFL pieces in the last 3 years than Peter King has in the last 30. Keep homering it up tho makes you look smart.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Ill summarize for those who dont want to waste their time:

Allen:  He isnt as good as Tyrod Taylor, why did the Bills bother.  (Comparing a rookie and a 8+ Year Veteran pretty much negates his entire argument)

Allen Summary:  He has to be more accurate, his wideouts aren't good but it's not their fault they have a 2nd in the NFL drop rate of 5.4

Darnold Summary: His offensive line is bad, his supporting cast, and coaches all suck.  It isnt Darnold's fault they have a 4. whatever percent drop rate.  Darnold needs a better supporting cast:

Jackson Summary:  Jackson is going to get hurt running so much, and he needs to stop turning the ball over so much

Mayfield Summary: Baker is already a Franchise QB

Rosen Summary: He really doesnt deserve all the negativity.  He is on his 2nd coordinator and has so many injuries on his team.  His scheme makes him suck, but man look at how good his footwork is.   He will be so much better next year.

Overall Summary:  I really liked Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen coming out and didnt like Jackson or Allen.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

OMG!!! He didn’t say our qb with a 63 QB rating and a 5 td to 9 int ratio is awesome!!! What a loser!!!

if you are an outsider looking at the Bills, it looks like a bad move for the Bills.  They moved on from a limited but safe qb who helped them get to the playoffs for one who is a good runner and a struggling passer.  Obviously as Bills fans, we know there were issues with Tyrod.  But y’all are so sensitive.  Allen is exciting, seems to have a great attitude, and has every physical tool you want.  He also is having a worse rookie season than EJ.  Obviously, he is getting more time.  But if Allen was on another team, we probably won’t think he was that good either. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Bob in NoCal said:

OP,  thank you for posting the article. I am now better educated with the knowledge to avoid all future articles by Bill Barnwell. 

This is hilarious and it’s why our country is so divided.  If someone doesn’t have the opinion I have, they are wrong!!!!

there is plenty of stuff he writes I don’t agree with but he makes good uses of analytics and always has decent reasoning for his points.  But to think everyone who doesn’t say Allen or the Bills are awesome is out to get us makes us look a bit crazy.  Allen has some work to do.  It’s also funny that you ignore him posting clips of Allen embarrassing Kiko or stating that he doesn’t have good receivers.  Stop being so sensitive.

Edited by C.Biscuit97
  • Thank you (+1) 1