Will Shady be worth it?

TBBills Fan

4 hours ago, ALF said:

Until the OL is fixed , McCoy is still a good receiver and YAC

Why they haven't been using him regularly in this role is beyond me. He is very good at short passes and YAC and even has the hands for a medium pass attempt.  With all the frustration that the Bills and McCoy have experienced with the run game and the Oline, you think this would have been a no brainer!

I think that the point here is with the structure of his contract the Bills now have options. 

$9 million cap it. 

$6,425,000 in actual cash paid to him from team 

and only a $2,625,000 hit in dead cap space. 

My thoughts are the Bills should move on from him. Personally I would rather build a great o line and plug in a rookie RB every couple of years VIA draft. I would rather spend the money in other places. I just think the RB is a position you can fill every year if you have a solid line. 

Top 5 running backs based on yards in the NFL 

1 Elliott - 3rd season 

2 - Gurley - 4th season 

3 - Barkley - 1st season 

4- Lindsay - 1st season 

5 - McCaffrey - 2nd season 

Edited by Charlottebillsfan2
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

At his salary, assuming we upgrade out offense in the offseason...

Lets say we pick up a RB in the draft and maybe a FA (not bell)...

Then at his salary is Shady worth it as a complimentary piece?

Between leadership and breakout plays it makes sense why beane said shady will be a part of 2019...he never said shady would be the centerpiece

Leadership?  I don't see it.  He was damaged goods before the season started and Beane should have traded him last year before it was apparent to everyone.  The team needs to get younger.  He needs to go.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Charlottebillsfan2 said:

spend the money in other places, RB is a position you can fill every year if you have a solid line. 

Exactly. There's been proof of this throughout the league for awhile.

Hopefully, McBeane can see this.

Edited by I am the egg man

who cares what hes making next year? It aint my money, and it sure as hell aint any of yours. 

why create more holes? Even if its just for him to be a 3rd down back, why should we get rid of him? 

Great leader, great teammate, pro Buffalo....why again would we get rid of him? We have obscene amounts of money and literally no one to spend it all on in FA. 

That said, I know he will perform better if he has even a semblance of an o-line. We should still draft his replacement though. 

43 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So you’re going to trade him for nothing ...out of spite?

I don’t spite Shady at all. I would have traded him for pretty much anything because he isn’t   a good player any longer and his production doesn’t justify his cost.

Shady was a great player but we can all see he has lost a step. And for his style of play, losing a step is more impactful than it would be for a North/South runner.

Also, by not trading him and committing to him as a key piece for next season as Beane did, the offensive unit is being set up for failure. Expecting an old RB who can’t get it done to be a key cog will leave a gaping hole when it falls apart.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buddy Hix said:

I don’t spite Shady at all. I would have traded him for pretty much anything because he isn’t   a good player any longer and his production doesn’t justify his cost.

Shady was a great player but we can all see he has lost a step. And for his style of play, losing a step is more impactful than it would be for a North/South runner.

Also, by not trading him and committing to him as a key piece for next season as Beane did, the offensive unit is being set up for failure. Expecting an old RB who can’t get it done to be a key cog will leave a gaping hole when it falls apart.

You and I agree on the basic facts. But... the decision facing the front office will be what can they get for him now, not what could they have gotten for him last summer. Based on this season I doubt anyone will offer much at all, and if true, I’m saying they might as well keep him. They aren’t short on cash.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

At his salary, assuming we upgrade out offense in the offseason...

Lets say we pick up a RB in the draft and maybe a FA (not bell)...

Then at his salary is Shady worth it as a complimentary piece?

Between leadership and breakout plays it makes sense why beane said shady will be a part of 2019...he never said shady would be the centerpiece

If he starts playing WR he could up his worth.

There are at least two issues at play here.  First, there is reason to suspect that most of the ineffectiveness of the running game should be solely laid on the shoulders of the offensive line.  Turnover, a lack of talent and an overly complex blocking scheme has created a disaster area on the offensive line, and nobody besides the QB can gain any yards with consistency.   Second, cap room is not a problem for Buffalo this offseason.  If Buffalo's line were good, and Shady were as ineffective as he's been, then you cut him yesterday.  There is absolutely no reason to keep him around.  If Buffalo faced cap constraints, but Shady could still be effective, you might consider moving on, though with some regrets.  I don't think there is any pressure to move on at this point.  I think what Buffalo needs to do is to identify wome quality youth at the position for the 2019 season.  Whether than means signing a quality young free agent or drafting somebody, they should find someone.  Rather than putting the full load on Shady next season, they should use a two headed monster philosophy.  One other thing to consider:  If Keith Ford can address his fumbling issues, it could be that the Bills already have Shady's successor.  Keith Ford was a five star recruit to college.  He's got size and power, but he's also got a fair amount of speed and quickness.  From all accounts he's worked hard while on the PS and has a great attitude.  Don't count him out.

Shady's not a bruiser.  He needs space to do his thing.  

If we trot out the same OL next year that we have this year -then no, don't keep Shady.  Shady and this OL don't work well together. 

If we upgrade the OL, then I say yes for the same reasons others have given: Shady still has some gas in the tank and his competitive fire/leadership are useful.

As an aside, back in 1971 I watched Willie Ellison break Cookie Gilchrist's pro football record for most rushing yards in a game.  Willie ran for 247 yards on 26 carries versus Cookie's 243 (AFL record) and Jim Brown's  237 (NFL record).

Don't remember Willie Ellison???  That's because he wasn't all that good and spent most of his NFL career as a backup.  But the OL in front of him on that magical day was freakin' dominant.  They opened gaping holes the size of Texas.  A good high school back could have easily rushed for over 100 behind that line and many college backs  could have gone over 200.  It's hard  to imagine what OJ or Brown might have done but it would have been incredible.  

On the flip side, I think Barry Sanders would have had trouble getting yards running behind our offensive line.  OLs matter hugely.   The 1971 Rams OL made Willie look like an Olympian god toying with mortals.  Our OL makes Shady look like Elmer Fudd.  

I keep saying this in various threads here, but when you're trying to guess whether or not a player has a future with the Bills you need to look at more than just his on-field production. Has Shady struggled this year? Yes. There have been times where he's definitely pressing because he's dying to make a play. The OL isn't doing much of anything to open up lanes for him and it's been a frustrating year. But on the flip side, he's earned himself a captain role so he's obviously seen as a respected veteran in the locker room. To McBeane, that stuff matters. 

I think they keep McCoy but I think he may be part of a RB by committee or they'll reduce his workload and have some specialized plays for him. TJ Yeldon and Tevin Coleman are two names to watch for in free agency. The draft doesn't have a running back worth taking until the mid-late second round this year. They may be inclined to go after a player coming out of his rookie deal who's 25-26 years old, doesn't have the mileage on him that a full-time 20-25 carries a game back has, etc. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Sure let's pay a guy 9 Mil a year to have less yds than the QB!!!!!!!!!!

That’ll be his cap hit ($9.05M) but some of that would be dead money anyway. The difference to keep him is $6.425M. Still, you want value for that. I’m keeping him unless I get a trade or replace him first. He doesn’t have a roster bonus due and we will have plenty of cap space so there’s no hurry. 

Edited by BarleyNY
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BarleyNY said:

That’ll be his cap hit ($9.05M) but some of that would be dead money anyway. The difference to keep him is $6.425M. Still, you want value for that. I’m keeping him unless I get a trade or replace him first. He doesn’t have a roster bonus due and we will have plenty of cap space so there’s no hurry. 

Sounds like you are not concerned about production at all. Do this for me divide his paycheck by his total yards this year and tell me what you think. The guy should be ashamed cashing it every month.   

Edited by ALLEN1QB

29 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Sounds like you are not concerned about production at all. Do this for me divide his paycheck by his total yards this year and tell me what you think. The guy should be ashamed cashing it every month.   

Really?  It didn’t sound like that to me at all. I’d just like to not jump the gun on getting rid of him so we can find his replacement first and also get something for him if we can.  No need to be hasty.