Will Shady be worth it?

TBBills Fan

At his salary, assuming we upgrade out offense in the offseason...

Lets say we pick up a RB in the draft and maybe a FA (not bell)...

Then at his salary is Shady worth it as a complimentary piece?

Between leadership and breakout plays it makes sense why beane said shady will be a part of 2019...he never said shady would be the centerpiece

I've been a huge Shady proponent but I think his time has come.  I believe if the OL was even adequate he could have had a good year but another season gone and at the salary he will earn next season I don't think he's worth it.  Definitely has been worth the investment to date but it's time to pass the torch.  It's a shame -- wish he was just a couple of years younger and could be a part of what I think this Bills team will become.

• Like (+1) 5

The questions I ask myself are:

Who can we get in FA to replace him on a one year contract with no future cap hit who will have as much proven potential and performance as he does at $6 million dollars?

If we are constantly making excuses for Allen because he has a atrocious O-line, how do we not make the same excuses for McCoy's same poor performance this year?

On a team lacking in talent on offense and so many holes to fill, do we need to create yet another hole that needs to be filled? 

Just wishing for a rookie to reach the potential we want to see in them immediately does not make it happen. What if it doesn't, and what are our options next year to compensate for that failure if we want to at least have a competitive team next year?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Respectfully, we have so much cap space that does it really make so much of a difference, other than a roster spot?

I think with a better oline Shady will be better, but regardless if you want him gone, then after next year he is gone and we get 8 million or so back on the cap in 2020.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, simpleman said:

The questions I ask myself are:

Who can we get in FA to replace him on a one year contract with no future cap hit who will have as much proven potential and performance as he does at $6 million dollars?

If we are constantly making excuses for Allen because he has a atrocious O-line, how do we not make the same excuses for McCoy's same poor performance this year?

On a team lacking in talent on offense and so many holes to fill, do we need to create yet another hole that needs to be filled? 

Just wishing for a rookie to reach the potential we want to see in them immediately does not make it happen. What if it doesn't, and what are our options next year to compensate for that failure if we want to at least have a competitive team next year?

Why exactly does he need to be replaced by someone on a one year deal?

I don’t think the fact that we have other needs is really all that important to be honest. The point, in my opinion, is that McCoy is a replacement level player at this point and he’s being paid top dollar. We can cut him, sign a cheap alternative, add a rookie (which we should do with or without McCoy), and probably have upgraded the position while having additional savings to spend on other needs. 

I'm all in favor of letting him go, as long as he takes Chris Ivory with him. 

Coming off injury Ajayi may be had at less than market value. If so I take a swing at him. Tevin Coleman would be another guy to look at. Take a rookie in the draft and have a group that can do different things, kind of how New England has. The diversity of their backfield has been such an asset over the years. Hard to prepare for. And something Daboll should be well versed at having.

4 hours ago, TBBills Fan said:

At his salary, assuming we upgrade out offense in the offseason...

Lets say we pick up a RB in the draft and maybe a FA (not bell)...

Then at his salary is Shady worth it as a complimentary piece?

Between leadership and breakout plays it makes sense why beane said shady will be a part of 2019...he never said shady would be the centerpiece

Shady is gone after the season.

The Bills are far from being up against the salary cap ceiling and Shady is not a locker room problem. So unless some team really wants to give you something significant for him then there’s no harm in keeping him. It’s pretty normal for these large, long term deals. At some point they tip in the players favor. Nothing unusual, and it doesn’t make it a bad contract.

5 minutes ago, Buddy Hix said:

For $9 mil, he’s not close to worth it. Shady should have been dealt this season but Beane missed the boat.

What value does a 31 year old RB who refuses to take what’s given to him have for that money?

So you’re going to trade him for nothing ...out of spite?