Sal Maiorana Says Bills Should Move on from McCoy in 2019; MJD Says He's a Lock for Canton; McDermott Excited to Have McCoy as Part of Bills' Future

26CornerBlitz

ORCHARD PARK - Just like the evaluation of quarterback Josh Allen is difficult given the woeful talent around him, the same is true in judging the awful season of running back LeSean McCoy.

McCoy is now 30 years old and clearly in decline as a player, but his struggles this season are more about the incompetence of Buffalo’s offensive line and the fact that until the last three games, opposing defenses never had to worry about defending the Bills’ inept passing game.

If he was in the right situation, meaning playing behind a strong offensive line in a balanced run-pass offensive attack, McCoy would surely be having a better season than he is with the Bills in 2018.

But that’s not the case, and there’s no guaranteeing it will be all that much better next year, which is why general manager Brandon Beane should re-think the comment he made a couple of months ago when he said McCoy would be back with Buffalo in 2019.

The Bills would be foolish to retain McCoy. Cutting him is the right move for him, as it might give him a chance to flourish at the end of the line and make a final push for Hall of Fame consideration, and it’s the right move for the team, particularly from a financial standpoint given his $9 million cap figure in the last year of his contract.

RB INDEX
0ap3000000999084.jpg&f=jpg&w=1280&c=80

Maurice Jones-Drew makes the Hall of Fame case for nine current running backs, both veterans on surefire paths to Canton and young rushers blazing their own trails.

There's a group of vets who have gotten lost in the shuffle this season. Having played for at least 10 seasons, Adrian PetersonMarshawn Lynch and LeSean McCoy have put together exceptional careers. Peterson and Lynch both came into the league in 2007 and found success with running styles that were the polar opposites of each other. With exceptional cutting ability and speed, Peterson has constructed a career plum full of big-time plays -- he's still exploding for 90-yard runs at age 33, easily outpacing his far younger Washington teammates in yards from scrimmage (1,052). Peterson has been the league's rushing leader three times, is one of seven backs to rush for over 2,000 yards in a season and sits ninth in all-time rushing yards (13,148). The four-time first-team All-Pro and seven-time Pro Bowler should not only make it to Canton, but should be a first-ballot selection.

Playing for the Bills in his 10th NFL season, McCoy, 30, was one of the best running backs in the league for several years. His elusiveness and catching ability make him a nightmare to tackle, and he's often been his team's offensive centerpiece. Along with making the postseason three times with the Eagles, the six-time Pro Bowler was a major reason Buffalo ended its 17-year playoff drought in 2017. Shady also has the numbers to earn football immortality, with more than 10,000 rushing yards.

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They should have moved on in the offseason and at the trade deadline.  Now, he has no value. 

Me, and many others were banging the drum to trade Shady and Benjamin at trade deadline.  We need all the picks we can get.  Neither is in our future

• Like (+1) 4

36 minutes ago, Pete said:

Me, and many others were banging the drum to trade Shady and Benjamin at trade deadline.  We need all the picks we can get.  Neither is in our future

I suspect the reason they kept him was for veteran leadership during the rebuild. I further suspect they believe (and I agree) that a veteran presence is needed on both sides of the ball. 

We’ll see what the off season brings and I suspect you may get your wish of him being gone albeit for little to no compensation. 

• Like (+1) 1

What I'm really hoping for is that Shady realizes his value on the open market as a free agent and decides that it would be worth it to restructure for a 3 year deal at 12-15m with a 5-6m signing bonus so he still gets the 9m for 2019 and the security of finishing his career strong and as a Bill. He'd be a great change of pace and 3rd down back and put up good numbers and veteran leadership while not taking the pounding of having to carry the entire offense. 

I actually hope he stays, just not at his current deal.

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I suspect the reason they kept him was for veteran leadership during the rebuild. I further suspect they believe (and I agree) that a veteran presence is needed on both sides of the ball. 

We’ll see what the off season brings and I suspect you may get your wish of him being gone albeit for little to no compensation. 

I agree on the reasons that he’s here. I still think they’d like to keep him another but he may request a trade or his release. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

i still think he has the juice , despite the numbers. With one of the worse OL and no consistent pass game , defenses stacked the box all year. Just a few weeks ago he looked like himself in Jersey. I want him on this team next year for his leadership and respect his teammates have , as well as his ability in the pass game.

I'd like to see a 1a and 1b RB situation next year and anticipate he has a great year with anticipated improvements at qb,wr and ol.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Who says McCoy would not agree to a salary reduction to remain a Bill? He - and his agent - know they wouldn't get 9M next year anyway.

I still think that 2 good OLinemen by FA and 2 much better WR by either FA or the draft or both are possible as soon as next year. With Allen-Edmunds-Milano-White with more experience, coaches having a better feel for their players, and these new addition to the offense, the Bills could already be top dogs as soon as next year. McCoy could want a part in that.

Edited by Jerome007
  • Like (+1) 1

Edge not being in yet is a travesty.

Can't say I've really heard anybody call Shady a "lock" yet but I'm hopeful that he's got another big season or two left in him. I'm rooting for him to make it, although I'm cool if we move on.

Edited by Nelius

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Also for those that think defenses just stack the box against him, he faces 8+ in the box less than most other RBs do. He's 37th out of 54 qualifying RBs in terms of how often he faces 8+ in the box.