Joe Flacco benched in Baltimore...Lamar Jackson era has begun

Big Turk

11 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

65 toss power trap!

I was unfamiliar with some of the details of the Chiefs SB win, but I just watched that play and it reminds me a bit of the 90's Bills counter trey.

Either way, both plays allow the team to matriculate the ball towards the opponents end territory, which is really all that matters.

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Maybe.  He rarely throws (25 or less per game) yet still struggle to get over 55% caught.  I don't see him becoming the type of passer Allen can be.  Also, he has as many rushing yards in half the games (and at significantly lower YPC) than Allen.  So Allen is a better runner right now.

The only QB I'd take over Allen from this class is Mayfield. Just trying to keep things in perspective.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

I was unfamiliar with some of the details of the Chiefs SB win, but I just watched that play and it reminds me a bit of the 90's Bills counter trey.

Either way, both plays allow the team to matriculate the ball towards the opponents end territory, which is really all that matters.

The only QB I'd take over Allen from this class is Mayfield. Just trying to keep things in perspective.

I'm with you there.

• Like (+1) 1

A case study on how to milk/parlay one good playoff run into years of coasting while getting paid handsomely—but now coming to it’s inevitable end. Time to play taps on his career in Baltimore. But given the overall state of QB play in the league versus how many are available with any kind of competence, I’m guessing he would never really ever end up unemployed, so long as his health holds. 

Here is what I am interested to see...Flacco 's best part of his resume has been some playoff success, including winning a SB no one even expected them to reach.  That Flacco led team had a stout defense...similar to this one, although its not as good as that SB team, but its still pretty good.

So, if Ravens make the playoffs, and I think they will...what happens if the offense is sputtering early or the first half of a winnable game?  Are they going to remain committed to LJ and let it play out or be tempted to revert to Flacco for a potential spark?  And what if it works and they advance, does Flacco get his job back?

I get the move to LJ, I mean he has led that back into the playoff hunt and almost beat KC too.  But given LJ hasn't excelled as a passer yet, going to be interesting to see how Balt handles the QB position if an opposing D finds a way to limit his damage as a runner in the playoffs.   

12 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That's exactly where he'll end up. Welcome to being a backup Bortles.

Yeah, Jax has to be the front runner.  However, there are not a lot of fall back opportunities if Jax doesn't pursue him.  Out of the 32 teams, almost all have an established starter or a young QB they are developing.  His best bet is Jax or Giants (if they decide to look for a Vet rather than start rebuild around a rookie QB).  Denver could look to replace Keenum too though, and Miami seems ready for a Tannehill replacement.  But in either event, is Flacco they guy they would look at if so?  

Another major story to watch is Raiders and Carr.  With the way they are blowing things up, would not surprise me to see them trade Carr and draft their guy with the top 3 pick they will have.  I would think if Carr became available, thats going to eliminate one of those options for Flacco as he would be more desirable than Flacco.  I actually think Carr just might wind up in NY next year as the Giants QB to combine with OBJ, Barkley, and the other weapons they have.  

Personally I think Giants will either trade for Carr or draft a QB, I doubt Flacco is going to be someone they are really interested in.  Broncos Keenum experiment is going well, is Flacoo much of an upgrade at this point?  I don't know if Elway will see that and with Keenum under contract one more year more likely looks to draft someone and let them sit behind Keenum a year or maybe explore a Carr trade.  Same with Dolphins...is Flacco much of an improvement over Tannehill?  Not really, so I would think they would more likely pursue a new QB via draft or maybe look at possibly trading for Carr.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is what I am interested to see...Flacco 's best part of his resume has been some playoff success, including winning a SB no one even expected them to reach.  That Flacco led team had a stout defense...similar to this one, although its not as good as that SB team, but its still pretty good.

So, if Ravens make the playoffs, and I think they will...what happens if the offense is sputtering early or the first half of a winnable game?  Are they going to remain committed to LJ and let it play out or be tempted to revert to Flacco for a potential spark?  And what if it works and they advance, does Flacco get his job back?

I get the move to LJ, I mean he has led that back into the playoff hunt and almost beat KC too.  But given LJ hasn't excelled as a passer yet, going to be interesting to see how Balt handles the QB position if an opposing D finds a way to limit his damage as a runner in the playoffs.   

...sure he has a SB ring 'Dawg, but the whole situation in Ravensville is baffling.....did Joe come down with "contractitis" after the big extension?....did Ozzie as a known personnel guy commodity not deliver?.....is it coaching ala Harbaugh along with his staff selections?.....any "'Dawg Insight"?............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

16 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...sure he has a SB ring 'Dawg, but the whole situation in Ravensville is baffling.....did Joe come down with "contractitis" after the big extension?....did Ozzie as a known personnel guy commodity not deliver?.....is it coaching ala Harbaugh along with his staff selections?.....any "'Dawg Insight"?............

He wasn’t that good before or after that one special SB run. He just got hot and played way over his head at the best possible time before his contract was up. He also was very lucky too to win two miracle games: first in the regular season against the Chargers (4th and I think 26, thanks to Ray Rice) and then in the playoffs at Denver (Jacoby Jones and Peyton Gump the Big Game Chump). I still find it hard to believe he owns a well-deserved ring, but I have to give him credit for those 2+ months of greatness.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Rico said:

He wasn’t that good before or after that one special SB run. He just got hot and played way over his head at the best possible time before his contract was up. He also was very lucky too to win two miracle games: first in the regular season against the Chargers (4th and I think 26, thanks to Ray Rice) and then in the playoffs at Denver (Jacoby Jones and Peyton Gump the Big Game Chump). I still find it hard to believe he owns a well-deserved ring, but I have to give him credit for those 2+ months of greatness.

...pretty dead on and objective assessment bud.....good job..:thumbsup:

50 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Ozzie's in retirement mode. He's probably phasing himself out already by this point. Mentoring someone I suppose, but it's pretty clear to the organization he's not going to be very hands on as a GM like he used to be.

Don't know about John Harbaugh, I'd assume they'd keep him. I mean the Ravens don't look bad at all. They might not have the talent they've had with their better teams in the past (again Ozzie), but they're playing well.. don't see any trouble in paradise other than a slow start, Lamar Jackson outperforming Flacco, and Ozzie having less impact. Looks like a relatively smooth change for Baltimore if this season is a changing of the guard.

3 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Ozzie's in retirement mode. He's probably phasing himself out already by this point. Mentoring someone I suppose, but it's pretty clear to the organization he's not going to be very hands on as a GM like he used to be.

Don't know about John Harbaugh, I'd assume they'd keep him. I mean the Ravens don't look bad at all. They might not have the talent they've had with their better teams in the past (again Ozzie), but they're playing well.. don't see any trouble in paradise other than a slow start, Lamar Jackson outperforming Flacco, and Ozzie having less impact. Looks like a relatively smooth change for Baltimore if this season is a changing of the guard.

Word here in Baltimore is miss the playoffs again and Harbaugh is gone, book it.

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

Word here in Baltimore is miss the playoffs again and Harbaugh is gone, book it.

That's odd. He's had a great season IMO. One of his lesser talent Ravens teams that shouldn't even be in playoff contention. If they really want to wipe the slate clean with a new regime I guess that's the owner's prerogative. But I really don't see Harbaugh being the problem.

Maybe they like what the DC has done making them a top defense. Or the OC gelling a new tailored offense for Lamar Jackson.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

2 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

That's odd. He's had a great season IMO. One of his lesser talent Ravens teams that shouldn't even be in playoff contention. If they really want to wipe the slate clean with a new regime I guess that's the owner's prerogative. But I really don't see Harbaugh being the problem.

Maybe they like what the DC has done making them a top defense. Or the OC gelling a new tailored offense for Lamar Jackson.

He's OK, but 11 years as HC is an eternity in the NFL, change may be good for both him and the team.

49 minutes ago, Rico said:

Lamar will always have the Heisman!

59 minutes ago, Rico said:

That Jacoby Jones pass sucked too. could have been a pick but the Denver defender forgot how to backpedal. He's a pretty good defender as well IIRC, was such a strange play.