Joe Flacco benched in Baltimore...Lamar Jackson era has begun

Big Turk

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

Yes but if you watch the games Allen is completing a lot more NFL type throws against very good defences. I believe Jackson has played all bottom 5 defences and is still struggling with passing with a much better supporting cast than Allen. I don’t know if any of our offensive players would start on the Ravens. Maybe McCoy?

I mean I guess.  Allen certainly has the stronger arm but they are both flawed passers.  I think our fans are quicker to point out Jackson’s flaws than Allen’s.  When in fact, they are both pretty flawed.

and the Ravens’ receiving core is nothing special. Crabtree is washed and John Brown has had one good year. 

4 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

defenses will figure out jackson just like every other new trend.  flacco will lead another team to a conference championship.  either he or carr will be a jag.  question is what do the bucs and giants/redskins do? i don't see either flacco or carr changing confs.

Do you think the same way about Allen?  Because they are playing very similarly.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean I guess.  Allen certainly has the stronger arm but they are both flawed passers.  I think our fans are quicker to point out Jackson’s flaws than Allen’s.  When in fact, they are both pretty flawed.

and the Ravens’ receiving core is nothing special. Crabtree is washed and John Brown has had one good year. 

Do you think the same way about Allen?  Because they are playing very similarly.

I don’t see the similarities at all. I think Allen will be a top 10 QB next year and a top 5 the year after. I am very excited about the progress I have seen watching the games. The amount of big time accurate throws by Allen on third down is very encouraging. We haven’t seen that in Buffalo in a long time. I haven’t seen anything close to that from Jackson. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, billspro said:

The stats are the stats. I don’t think anyone would want Jackson over Allen. 

I had them very similarly rated coming out and they have played very similar.  Allen “looks” more like the prototype qb but at some point, people are going to need to stop blaming his below average accuracy on every on else on the team.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I had them very similarly rated coming out and they have played very similar.  Allen “looks” more like the prototype qb but at some point, people are going to need to stop blaming his below average accuracy on every on else on the team.  

Also, the accuracy thing is way over blown. He needs to work on his accuracy from 0-5 yards. Other than that it has been solid. He won’t ever be Drew Brees accurate but can easily be Big Ben accurate.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, billspro said:

I don’t see the similarities at all. I think Allen will be a top 10 QB next year and a top 5 the year after. I am very excited about the progress I have seen watching the games. The amount of big time accurate throws by Allen on third down is very encouraging. We haven’t seen that in Buffalo in a long time. I haven’t seen anything close to that from Jackson. 

But you’re a Bills fan.  In reality, they have been very similar.  I want you to be right.  But our guy has thrown 5 td passes and 9 ints and a 62 QBs rating. Jackson has 4 td passes to 3 ints and a 79.9 qb rating.  Again, I want Allen to be the guy but why is one guy just getting dismissed?  Especially a guy who was much, much, much better in college against much harder competition.

and I would take Allen over Jackson, but man, it’s a lot closer at this point than some Bills fans want to admit. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

But you’re a Bills fan.  In reality, they have been very similar.  I want you to be right.  But our guy has thrown 5 td passes and 9 ints and a 62 QBs rating. Jackson has 4 td passes to 3 ints and a 79.9 qb rating.  Again, I want Allen to be the guy but why is one guy just getting dismissed?  Especially a guy who was much, much, much better in college against much harder competition.

and I would take Allen over Jackson, but man, it’s a lot closer at this point than some Bills fans want to admit. 

Allen was definitely more of a project coming out. I graded him as more of a round 2 prospect but he has exceeded my expectations by a lot. I could be wrong, I spend a lot of time watching QBs though. We should find out the next three weeks. I think we are going to see Allen take a step the last three games.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, billspro said:

Also, the accuracy thing is way over blown. He needs to work on his accuracy from 0-5 yards. Other than that it has been solid. He won’t ever be Drew Brees accurate but can easily be Big Ben accurate.

He has terrible completion % since high school.  Fans (again, I get it) pretend like he is the only qb that has dropped passes.  And Big Ben was like a 70% passer in college and dominant.  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ben-roethlisberger-1.html

Allen is super exciting but you need to be consistent to be great.  You can’t just keep dismissing everything. 

Just now, billspro said:

Allen was definitely more of a project coming out. I graded him as more of a round 2 prospect but he has exceeded my expectations by a lot. I could be wrong, I spend a lot of time watching QBs though. We should find out the next three weeks. I think we are going to see Allen take a step the last three games.

Honestly, he’s been the guy I’d thought he be but he is definitely faster.  I get why scouts like him.  But how many 1st round guys become better in the pros than they were in college, especially a lower level one?

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He has terrible completion % since high school.  Fans (again, I get it) pretend like he is the only qb that has dropped passes.  And Big Ben was like a 70% passer in college and dominant.  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ben-roethlisberger-1.html

Allen is super exciting but you need to be consistent to be great.  You can’t just keep dismissing everything. 

Honestly, he’s been the guy I’d thought he be but he is definitely faster.  I get why scouts like him.  But how many 1st round guys become better in the pros than they were in college, especially a lower level one?

You need more evidence which is fine. We can restart the discussion in a few weeks when there is more information available.

Edited by billspro

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...LMAO.......Augieism 101.......heard this kid speak in a couple of pressers and............interesting to say the least..............

Did you see the interview after his first extended game time, where Steve Tasker was trying to interview him on the sideline and Jackson kept interrupting the interview to exchange good wishes or words with various players on the opposing team?  CF of an interview, but it was the funniest damn thing.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

With better

Protection

Receivers

Running Game

The guys who drafted Allen built his offense.  They traded up to take Zay Jones in the 2nd round.  They traded a 3rd for Benjamin.  They picked Dawkins in the 2nd.  They signed a $3 million backup rb to back up one of the highest paid rbs.  

I hope they both improve as passers.  But it’s weird that one is considered a gimmick while one is just hurt by the lack of talent around him. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

He has a hard southern drawl

He's sharp enough 

Lets revisit once defenses get plenty of tape on him. Mr Jackson scored a 13 on the wonderlic- 20 is considered average- 10 is considered literate. Maybe he doesn’t test well, maybe he just had a bad day or maybe he isn’t intelligent which is needed to truly thrive as an NFL QB.

A good landing spot in 2019 for Flacco would be the Denver. Then there’s about 5 IFs; Tampa Bay (if Winston is not retained), Miami (if Tannehill is cut loose), NY Giants (if Eli is cut), Washington (if Alex Smith doesn’t heal), or Arizona (if the team has soured on Rosen). 

34 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

Lets revisit once defenses get plenty of tape on him. Mr Jackson scored a 13 on the wonderlic- 20 is considered average- 10 is considered literate. Maybe he doesn’t test well, maybe he just had a bad day or maybe he isn’t intelligent which is needed to truly thrive as an NFL QB.

I agree with all this, but I’d rather have a guy who is a savant at reading defenses and moving the matriculating the ball up the field than  a guy who can do my calculus homework for me. (But I’m not sure this guy is either!). 

• Like (+1) 1