Any WRs via high draft pick or FA in this off-season that give us a bonafide #1?

Bing Bong

5 hours ago, BuffaloButt said:

Good assessment, but some draft experts have him going in the top 5.  I need top see more film on him to verify if he is indeed a top 5 and potential top pick for the Bills.  Dude had looked good in some game I've seen. 

It would not surprise me to see at least two WR going in the top 10.  In 2017, everyone thought the Bills would have their pick of the top 3 WR in the draft, but all three were gone before the 10th pick.  Teams are recognizing how important the position is—second only to QB.

Edited by mannc

There's almost certainly no #1 WR available via free agency (unless someone is released that we aren't talking about yet). Guys like Quincy Enunwa, Chris Conley, Tyrell Williams, and Adam Humphries are worth pursuing IMO, but none of them appear to be #1 caliber receivers.

It seems like the only guy really worth considering in the top 10 of the draft is DK Metcalf, but if it were me personally, I'd just wait until the 2nd-4th round and probably take two guys in that range rather than spending a 1st round pick on a WR; this class is absurdly deep and the guys you can draft in the 2nd-4th are probably just as likely to become good WRs as anyone you'd take in the first round. My personal favorites in that range are N'Keal Harry (if he falls to the 2nd), Deebo Samuel, and Collin Johnson.

2 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Kid is truly a beast. Physical, fast, great elusiveness and swats defenders away like gnats.

Harry is a beast.  I am a-ok with drafting Harry in 1st.  There is a great chance he is first WR off board, and goes top 10.  And he is a great returner.  Our weak ass special teams could use his return skills.  When was the last time a Bills returner took it to the house?

6 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...think Chargers would let him walk?........

I imagine so with Keenan Allen and Mike Williams already in the fold. Tyrell will probably be looking for a larger role than the one he has with the Chargers and in a weak free agency class, someone will probably pay him a lot of money.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...think Chargers would let him walk?........

I do, he’s going to want to get paid along with having a larger role, and a franchise like the bills will more than likely over pay for his services. 

Plus, they’ll have several positions to fill and rank 20th in cap space. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

There's almost certainly no #1 WR available via free agency (unless someone is released that we aren't talking about yet). Guys like Quincy Enunwa, Chris Conley, Tyrell Williams, and Adam Humphries are worth pursuing IMO, but none of them appear to be #1 caliber receivers.

It seems like the only guy really worth considering in the top 10 of the draft is DK Metcalf, but if it were me personally, I'd just wait until the 2nd-4th round and probably take two guys in that range rather than spending a 1st round pick on a WR; this class is absurdly deep and the guys you can draft in the 2nd-4th are probably just as likely to become good WRs as anyone you'd take in the first round. My personal favorites in that range are N'Keal Harry (if he falls to the 2nd), Deebo Samuel, and Collin Johnson.

I'm reading he's seen as a reach since the WR class this year looks like slim pickings. That sucks.

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I'm reading he's seen as a reach since the WR class this year looks like slim pickings. That sucks.

I think this is easily the best WR class we've had since the Sammy/Odell/Evans class. It doesn't have the top end talent that that class had but I think there's seriously like 20 WRs in this class that project as future starters (obviously they won't all pan out, but the point is there's an absurd amount of depth in this class).

It's a pretty weak group of Wide Receivers in free agency this year.  All I see is a bunch of aging vets, question marks and guys suited to be #2 targets.  A good GM should be able to find some decent help and depth, but I don't see anybody capable of being a team's elite #1 receiver (outside of maybe Josh Gordon, and we all know how that could end up).

This particular WR draft class is considered pretty "deep" on Day 2.  But it doesn't have a clear-cut/can't-miss elite prospect at the very top.  It's very possible that someone eventually emerges as a #1 receiver, but it may take some time, development and patience.  It will be another test of Brandon Beane and the scouts to pick out the right guy from the bunch, and try to land him in the 2nd or early 3rd Round.

Bottom line, the only way I see Buffalo entering Week 1 of the 2019 season with an elite WR (that isn't going to take 1-2 years to develop) is through a trade.  There have been rumblings about Julio Jones, AJ Green and Antonio Brown.  So maybe we decide to go that direction.

8 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

I think this is easily the best WR class we've had since the Sammy/Odell/Evans class. It doesn't have the top end talent that that class had but I think there's seriously like 20 WRs in this class that project as future starters (obviously they won't all pan out, but the point is there's an absurd amount of depth in this class).

Nice let's draft like 3 and see what sticks

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I'm not an expert but I do consider myself informed. Parris Campbell should go in the 3rd at the earliest and that would be after the combine and all that jazz. I do like him though.

:thumbsup:

I respect your thoughts on this my friend. I believe Campbell will go early 2nd day at the least. Just my 2. I would like to see him in a Bills uni, along with Miles Boykin from Notre Dame. Boykin can be had in the 3rd or 4th as he is not a burner, but can shake a defender and catches pretty much everything that hits his hands. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NewDayBills said:

I'm hoping we go NKeal Harry or Marquise Brown in either a trade down from #6 or with our 2nd. Anthony Johnson from Buffalo in RD2 would also be a nice consolation prize if we miss out on Harry or Brown. Follow up with Parris Campbell with our first RD4 pick. Worst case scenario is we walk away with Johnson and Campbell and I'm damn cool with that. I think Johnson from Buffalo would beat out Zay eventually for that #1 job. A guy like Campbell would be a nice #3 with potential to grow. Either way I don't think RD1 has to be WR. RD2 though definitely.

Either Harry or trade down in the 1st for M Brown. Either of these guys would be huge upgrades. 

8 minutes ago, H2o said:

:thumbsup:

I respect your thoughts on this my friend. I believe Campbell will go early 2nd day at the least. Just my 2. I would like to see him in a Bills uni, along with Miles Boykin from Notre Dame. Boykin can be had in the 3rd or 4th as he is not a burner, but can shake a defender and catches pretty much everything that hits his hands. 

Don't forget you got Marquise Brown, AJ Brown, Metcalf, Harry, Johnson going ahead of him. First WR will probably come off the board in the mid teens. How many go in the 1st-2nd round? Maybe Campbell can sneak into the late 2nd. Maybe he slips to us RD3?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Kid is truly a beast. Physical, fast, great elusiveness and swats defenders away like gnats.

I think he is physical and with great vision, but is he really fast? If he is fast why does he has so many contested catches? I´m worry he uses his body to catch a lot insted of his hands. 

• Like (+1) 1