Pass Rush?

BigSky

It seems to me that early in the Jets game we were loading up the LOS and at least giving the impression that we were going to Blitz. As the game went on there was nothing but four guys lining up. Darnold hardly got pressured and made some plays. Why not blitz a young rookie QB? I haven’t been able to rewatch the game so I might be wrong but that’s my impression from watching it live 

You haven't realized Frazier is and always has been a very seldom blitz caller...he flat our refuses...if his front four gets stonewalled we get beat period...it's a passing league and if your front 4 can't get the job done you send another and another until you do!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I vote YES on pass rush! 

We did send about 15 people up to the line at times, then back almost everybody off. Easy to say at this point, we should have sent more pressure at the rookie. Lord knows they sent the kitchen sink at Allen. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Augie said:

I vote YES on pass rush! 

We did send about 15 people up to the line at times, then back almost everybody off. Easy to say at this point, we should have sent more pressure at the rookie. Lord knows they sent the kitchen sink at Allen.

We got out coached..Jets knew a rookie QB would struggle if they constantly harrased him and it worked..Frazier thought he'd be a genuis and let darnold have time to figure out his zones and presnap disquises and movement..Given the time HE DID..pressure him and darnold would have folded like a lawn chair

45 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

You haven't realized Frazier is and always has been a very seldom blitz caller...he flat our refuses...if his front four gets stonewalled we get beat period...it's a passing league and if your front 4 can't get the job done you send another and another until you do!!!!

And earlier in the season Leslie pulled this no blitz garbage and it didn't fly with McD. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Billever76 said:

We got out coached..Jets knew a rookie QB would struggle if they constantly harrased him and it worked..Frazier thought he'd be a genuis and let darnold have time to figure out his zones and presnap disquises and movement..Given the time HE DID..pressure him and darnold would have folded like a lawn chair

The Bills outgained the Jets 368-248.  

If talent can be measured by roster spending.  The Jets ($150 million) have a much more talented roster than the Bills ($111 million).   

And yet - if not for special teams - we would have won.

I don't think this is a clear case of their coach outcoaching our coach.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Billever76 said:

I don't agree with send more and more until you get home. The best defenses in the NFL in recent years have not been blitz happy teams. That was so 2008. You have to get pressure with 4 and use the blitz intelligently as a change up. It is fair to criticise Frazier for Sunday. He failed to generate any pressure at all on Darnold in the 2nd half. But this "oh he is too vanilla" and "oh he doesn't blitz" enough is hot air from fans. Rex blitzed plenty and his defenses got ripped. This is a ball out quick passing league. If you are waiting for a delayed safety blitz to get there all you have done is opened up the middle of your defense for a good QB to exploit. The blitz % league wide is down at its lowest for a decade and has been trending that way for the last 4 or 5 years. Unless you get more teams reverting to 7 step drop deep passing offenses then I expect that trend to continue.

• Like (+1) 1

Like the OP stated that this was a rookie QB not used to reading disguised coverages or blitzes like Brady. I might also mention that he leads the league in interceptions.

It would have been smart to send a safety blitz now and again or Milano before he was injured. Needless to say the Jets sacked Allen 3 times and hit him 10 times! Darnold was not only not sacked he wasn't even touched/hit all game. That's just lame on Frazier's part. 

Aside from that, my take is the Jets linemen were holding bigtime and it wasn't being called in part due to the Jerry Hughes incident in which a ref was suspended. 

I was impressed with the Jets D Line.  They were pretty dominant and if the QB would have been Anderson, Peterman, Barkley or someone like Bledsoe, he would have been killed.  I think we need to improve the offense in the draft, but unless they get a pass rusher or other DL in free agency (is Frank Clark - DE - Seattle a FA in '19), then I think they need to look at DE or DT with the first pick.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree with send more and more until you get home. The best defenses in the NFL in recent years have not been blitz happy teams. That was so 2008. You have to get pressure with 4 and use the blitz intelligently as a change up. It is fair to criticise Frazier for Sunday. He failed to generate any pressure at all on Darnold in the 2nd half. But this "oh he is too vanilla" and "oh he doesn't blitz" enough is hot air from fans. Rex blitzed plenty and his defenses got ripped. This is a ball out quick passing league. If you are waiting for a delayed safety blitz to get there all you have done is opened up the middle of your defense for a good QB to exploit. The blitz % league wide is down at its lowest for a decade and has been trending that way for the last 4 or 5 years. Unless you get more teams reverting to 7 step drop deep passing offenses then I expect that trend to continue.

Surprisingly, the numbers don't bear out that Ryan was blitz-happy in Buffalo anymore however, after an initial blitz heavy start earlier in his coaching career. IIRC, as a side note, Super Mario often grumbled about being forced to drop into coverage packages instead of rushing the passer...

Regardless, a pretty detailed autopsy of what went wrong with his D, for anyone interested, is here:

https://buffalonews.com/2017/01/14/bills-2016-defensive-autopsy-rex-ryan/

Edited by NoHuddleKelly12

15 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

If Frazier is going to insist on never blitzing we need some quality pass rushers in the offseason. And given that we need all the offense we can get this offseason.. Frazier better learn a few blitz plays .

The alternative is a new DC who understands the value of disrupting offenses. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

The alternative is a new DC who understands the value of disrupting offenses. 

Yep probably easier to hire a coach who knows when and how to blitz than teach a DC the ropes on rushing someone other than your 4. Feels like Frazier will have to hit the books on this one. "what the heck is this darn "blitz" thing McDermott keeps suggesting I run??" //checks wikipedia