[Vague Title] Sophomore slump?

Chicharito

There is no denying the awful play of our offensive line. But one player I’ve been watching is Dion Dawkins aka the noshoman. He seems to be getting a pass by all this year. His man always seems to be in the backfield . I like this kid and hope it’s just the sophomore slump. 

Dion pissed me off when he did the dirty chop block, that crap has no place in a game.  That being said, I do feel like he is the one guy on the OL that I feel like can still start next year.  The other 4 spots I am not so sure about.  And as @oldmanfan said, it definitely helped having Incognito last year, as well as Wood and Glenn on the line.  

So Dion doesn't just get a free pass, but he has looked better when he had more talent around him.  So not sure its so much of a sophomore slump as it is the whole line sucks and needs a min of 2 to 3 new starters next year.  

• Like (+1) 1

If the Bills have an opportunity to acquire two quality starting calber offensive tackles through free agency and the draft, I don't think there would be anything wrong with shifting Dawkins inside.  On the flip side, Teller may have some promise as a guard, but he was a fifth round pick because he was not as well prepared to start in the NFL as a first round pick.  That is still the case.  Dawkins would be better at tackle if he had an all pro guard next to him, one who wasn't simultaneously worried about an incompetent center next to him on the other side.  An offensive line needs to function as a unit, and if you have multiple parts that are broken, its going to adversely affect all the other parts too.

I'm not saying the Bills have to move Dawkins inside to be effective.  There is more than one possible path to improved effectiveness as a line, but right now it's badly broken.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

There is no denying the awful play of our offensive line. But one player I’ve been watching is Dion Dawkins aka the noshoman. He seems to be getting a pass by all this year. His man always seems to be in the backfield . I like this kid and hope it’s just the sophomore slump. 

Everyone's man is in the backfield much too often. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

He'd be a great RT once we draft the best LT in the draft round 1.

I believe he was tried at RT, but had a very difficult transition. Everything is backwards. I’m also not sure hes the mauler you need at RT, but given some time and experience with Teller (despite his recent penalty extravaganza) we just might have our left side set. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I believe he was tried at RT, but had a very difficult transition. Everything is backwards. I’m also not sure hes the mauler you need at RT, but given some time and experience with Teller (despite his recent penalty extravaganza) we just might have our left side set. 

I've heard that before ("it's all backwards") and I just cannot accept that. The mauler thing, maybe... but for a professional athlete who works on his craft as his career.... you're telling me he can't figure out how to adjust from left to right? 

43 minutes ago, Chicharito said:

I don't see him getting this treatment at all.  

47 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I've heard that before ("it's all backwards") and I just cannot accept that. The mauler thing, maybe... but for a professional athlete who works on his craft as his career.... you're telling me he can't figure out how to adjust from left to right? 

Everything is opposite. Not quite as bad as a right handed batter having to go lefty, but your stance and slide steps are completely different. Probably not as easy as you think, especially against world class athletes.  Plus, he’s more finesse than power,  so better suited to LT......IMO. 

Edited by Augie

32 minutes ago, Augie said:

Everything is opposite. Not quite as bad as a right handed batter having to go lefty, but your stance and split steps are completely different. Probably not as easy as you think, especially against world class athletes.  Plus, he’s more finesse than power,  so better suited to LT......IMO. 

Fair enough. Never played OL, so maybe switching stance and steps are more difficult than I realize. Still think any lineman "should" be able to figure it out, but I'll concede I don't know how hard that really would be. I would still like a mountainous LT in the first round... Then put Dion wherever he'd be best. 

I don't think pass pro has been nearly as bad as people think. Allen needs to learn to step up in the pocket and make quick decisions.

Run blocking is another story and they clearly need to uprgade the personnel. Dawkins, Teller and Bodine are really the only guys I want back.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Fair enough. Never played OL, so maybe switching stance and steps are more difficult than I realize. Still think any lineman "should" be able to figure it out, but I'll concede I don't know how hard that really would be. I would still like a mountainous LT in the first round... Then put Dion wherever he'd be best. 

I’d just work on finding a center, and building the right side. Two starters in FA, then draft at least a couple more. Build the lines. 

1 hour ago, Chicharito said:

On the OL, it matters who is playing next to you.

It also matters what kind of blocking scheme you're being asked to execute.

IMHO, one of the strongest key features of Castillo's blocking schemes in Baltimore and now here, is offensive linemen looking freakin' confused on too many plays

Someone in another thread said Josh Allen has the most time in pocket in the NFL. 

I watch a good amount of other football games and the QBs generally don't have a lot of time to throw. Gotta get it out in rhythm, right?

Dawkins definitely hasn't looked as good, but I think it sucks playing next to our LGs this year. It could definitely be sophomore slump, but he's still not that bad from what I've noticed. I have no idea what the stats say.