Article - Making a case for Josh Allen as the NFL's best rookie quarterback over Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson

One Buffalo

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You are also grossly over looking the real difference maker at WR.  Its not drops, its separation and actually getting open.  This notion that the WR problem is only "drops" related is completely false.  Our guys just dont get open enough, in fact, Zay is practically invisible unless Allen is scrambling under duress and gives Zay a better chance to break free.  He is not doing well at running routes and getting separation consistently.  

Those players at WR and TE in Cleveland are superior to ours in both hands, route running, blocking, and getting separation.  We dont have a single WR that would start there.

......that is a baffling and frustrating issue about all of them......with Robiskie (37 yrs) and Culley (25 yrs principally as WR Coach) on staff with a combined 62 years, how can knowledge of route running be an issue?.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The_Dude said:

Ridiculous. Baker Mayfield is a superior QB to Allen and to suggest otherwise is nonsense. 

Don’t be so sure. So far in December Josh has accounted for 32 first downs, while Baker is at 20. For all the attention given to completion %, Josh is actually moving the chains with more consistency than Baker as of late. 

2 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

Don’t be so sure. So far in December Josh has accounted for 32 first downs, while Baker is at 20. For all the attention given to completion %, Josh is actually moving the chains with more consistency than Baker as of late. 

Im only responding to let you know I love your username. Dayman 4 life. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

people don't like how he's doing it. that's all..... lame right? I know.

1 hour ago, Stank_Nasty said:

people don't like how he's doing it. that's all..... lame right? I know.

I like how Josh is doing. I’ve been pleasantly surprised and I’m optimistic for his future as of right now. But Baker is the better passer right now. 

23 minutes ago, The_Dude said:

I like how Josh is doing. I’ve been pleasantly surprised and I’m optimistic for his future as of right now. But Baker is the better passer right now. 

I've had a hard on for Mayfield since like 2015. I freaking love that dude... and I agree with you for the time being.

I was talking more about allens detractors in general. most just don't like how the yds are coming about. I think that's silly...… I think we all can agree allen needs to really improve upon his passing. I also think we could probably all agree said problem would look much better if he had what Mayfield had in front of him and around him.

15 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

This guy said something positive about the Bills so he must be a great writer. :)

Quinn isn't really a writer. he's a former NFL qb in the media that thinks allen is doing a hell of a job. and he's the 3rd former NFL qb in the media to say so over the last 10 days or so including 2 other simms qb's…..

but what do they know, right? stupid "writers"

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I've had a hard on for Mayfield since like 2015. I freaking love that dude... and I agree with you for the time being.

I was talking more about allens detractors in general. most just don't like how the yds are coming about. I think that's silly...… I think we all can agree allen needs to really improve upon his passing. I also think we could probably all agree said problem would look much better if he had what Mayfield had in front of him and around him.

Quinn isn't really a writer. he's a former NFL qb in the media that thinks allen is doing a hell of a job. and he's the 3rd former NFL qb in the media to say so over the last 10 days or so including 2 other simms qb's…..

I don’t care how Allen generates the yards. He has a very mediocre receiver in Zay Jones, an O-Line comprised of Swiss cheese, and no running game. 

Ive seen him drop dimes and hit dudes in stride, something Tyrod couldn’t do (hit dudes in stride, not dimes). 

Im fine with where Allen is. For now. He looks way more promising than what I was expecting. 

One thing that keeps coming up is Allen needs to take some velocity off the ball. I get it with short passes that he cant fire a rocket at them....but he really hasnt been firing fast balls on short passes all that much. Earlier in the season he had a few. If the pass is beyond 10 yards or so can an NFL WR say "I dropped it because he threw it too hard"? From memory the pass to Jones was from the opposite hash and had to travel at least 20 yards in the air before bouncing off his chest. Not all passes are going to be caught but if it in the catch radius of the WR it is on the WR to bring it in. 

4 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Jim Kelly wanted us to draft Tim Tebow.  Ron Jaworski said Kaepernick was going to be an of all time.  Everyone has an opinion.

allen has done some good things but there’s a ton to prove.  Hopefully the guys who built this crappy offenses add some real players next year and we don’t have to make a million excuses for poor QBs play.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

As good as Saquon is, any of the QBs over a RB 100 out of a 100 times.

I normally would agree but would you take Adrian Peterson or Todd Gurley over Matt Stafford?  I think I would.  And what’s to say the Giants don’t get a good QBs in the draft to pair with Barkley?  It could be a Rams situation.  Barkley is special and I’m not sure if any of these QBs are elite type guys. I guess time will tell.

13 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Jim Kelly wanted us to draft Tim Tebow.  Ron Jaworski said Kaepernick was going to be an of all time.  Everyone has an opinion.

allen has done some good things but there’s a ton to prove.  Hopefully the guys who built this crappy offenses add some real players next year and we don’t have to make a million excuses for poor QBs play.

agreed.

20 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Another invaluable point is how many holding and false starts are happening and wiping out great plays by Josh.

people say the jets don’t have much around Darnold, but it’s a lot more than what Buffalo has.

On top of wiping out great plays they also continuously contribute to putting us in 3rd and long situations.  There just aren't that many plays in the book for 3rd and long that they get completed all that often.

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

only difference is one of those players took their team to the SB in their rookie year. so not the best comparison

16 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I’m not sure which is better.  I do know both guys need to become better passers to be franchise qbs though.  

1 minute ago, 87168 said:

only difference is one of those players took their team to the SB in their rookie year. so not the best comparison

If you’re taking about CK, it was his 2nd year.  My bigger point was just because a former player says something, it’s just another opinion.  In fact some ex players say some of the dumbest stuff imaginable (Terry Bradshaw).