The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/11/2018 at 4:57 PM, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Ok. Name the press. If this is "hot off the lib NPC press", tell me what it's from. 

Because actual, conservative government analysis couldn't come from me unless I know better than you. Which, let's be honest here, is not that hard

Dude, there's a reason why I'm an independent. Just because Trump is unspeakably moronic doesn't make the Dems magically brilliant. They are simply the most ready way to avoid disaster.

They deserve to be called out for hypocrisy and bad ideas. 

I dont see how continued examination, debate and rejection of ideas is a bad thing.

So why dont you then call out Nancy Mussolini and Cryin Chuck on their hypocrisy? 

• Like (+1) 2

Almost immediately, Pelosi emerging from the White House became a meme, with everyone from Pentagon reporters to Moonlight director Barry Jenkins gushing over the coat as a power move:

Putting politics aside for a second, can we all agree that Pelosi is wearing an exceptionally stylish coat? https://t.co/Sug4S66BRt

— Bronwen Dickey (@BronwenDickey) December 11, 2018

Has anybody figured what coat this is she’s wearing? I waited to ask this question, let the seriousness of the situation be properly discussed but... that color is LEGIT and we need to know this https://t.co/hfF6IZL5Yg

— Barry Jenkins (@BarryJenkins) December 12, 2018

Btw, I loved Nancy Pelosi's red coat. Those high buttons across the neck are boss. Iconic imagery, yesterday. pic.twitter.com/hHSAPnQi3Y

— Kevin Baron (@DefenseBaron) December 12, 2018
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/12/13/18139472/nancy-pelosi-red-coat-max-mara-reissue
  • Haha (+1) 1

Stand firm against these obstructionist Democrats Mr. President! Shut down the government for as long as it takes. Do not bend to their perniciousness.

They oh so willingly forced Obamacare down our throats at tremendous cost to the nation and our healthcare system.

They are hypocrites of the first order of magnitude. They are denying you this only because they perceive it as a political "win" for you if you get the wall done.

• Like (+1) 4

29 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Stand firm against these obstructionist Democrats Mr. President! Shut down the government for as long as it takes. Do not bend to their perniciousness.

They oh so willingly forced Obamacare down our throats at tremendous cost to the nation and our healthcare system.

They are hypocrites of the first order of magnitude. They are denying you this only because they perceive it as a political "win" for you if you get the wall done.

Exactly.

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Almost immediately, Pelosi emerging from the White House became a meme, with everyone from Pentagon reporters to Moonlight director Barry Jenkins gushing over the coat as a power move:

Putting politics aside for a second, can we all agree that Pelosi is wearing an exceptionally stylish coat? https://t.co/Sug4S66BRt

— Bronwen Dickey (@BronwenDickey) December 11, 2018

Has anybody figured what coat this is she’s wearing? I waited to ask this question, let the seriousness of the situation be properly discussed but... that color is LEGIT and we need to know this https://t.co/hfF6IZL5Yg

— Barry Jenkins (@BarryJenkins) December 12, 2018

Btw, I loved Nancy Pelosi's red coat. Those high buttons across the neck are boss. Iconic imagery, yesterday. pic.twitter.com/hHSAPnQi3Y

— Kevin Baron (@DefenseBaron) December 12, 2018
https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/12/13/18139472/nancy-pelosi-red-coat-max-mara-reissue

Looks like a Snuggie 

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Kevbeau said:

Looks like a Snuggie 

Looks like she raided Hillary's wardrobe.

41 minutes ago, Nanker said:

And the same sort of people mock the First Lady and her apparel. 

Pretty sure Melania was mocked for wearing a similar jacket.  

23 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Donald Trump 2013: "When they talk about the government shutdown, they're going to be talking about the president of the United States, who the president was at that time. They're not going to be talking about who was the head of the House, the head the Senate, who's running things in Washington.

Donald Trump Early 2018: " Democrats are holding our Military hostage over their desire to have unchecked illegal immigration. Can't let that happen!'   'They could have easily made a deal but decided to play Shutdown politics instead"

Donald Trump December 11 2018: "I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck," the president said. "So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not gonna blame you for it. The last time you shut it down it didn't work. I will take the mantle of shutting down.

Donald Trump December 13th 2018: Democrats are only doing this to play politics! Let's not do a shutdown Democrats!

How anyone here is able to ignore how much this man talks out of his ass is beyond me.

22 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Donald Trump 2013: "When they talk about the government shutdown, they're going to be talking about the president of the United States, who the president was at that time. They're not going to be talking about who was the head of the House, the head the Senate, who's running things in Washington.

Donald Trump Early 2018: " Democrats are holding our Military hostage over their desire to have unchecked illegal immigration. Can't let that happen!'   'They could have easily made a deal but decided to play Shutdown politics instead"

Donald Trump December 11 2018: "I am proud to shut down the government for border security, Chuck," the president said. "So I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down. I'm not gonna blame you for it. The last time you shut it down it didn't work. I will take the mantle of shutting down.

Donald Trump December 13th 2018: Democrats are only doing this to play politics! Let's not do a shutdown Democrats!

How anyone here is able to ignore how much this man talks out of his ass is beyond me.

If you took a poll of this group, my guess is most of the people here would be cheering a government shutdown. It is unlikely you will see a shutdown that causes maximum pain on the general populous while costing more to incur that pain *cough*Obama*cough*. 

Trump is a negotiator. Everyone does not have to like everything he says or does. Right now, the ball is in the Democrats court... Chuckie gets nine D Senators to vote for  $5B in wall funding, and the government stays "open". Chuckie doesn't, and things get worse as the new House will not have the votes to fund a government as their whole platform will be #resist. And, they will still need D votes in the Senate after the new House is installed in January.

No matter how anyone would like to spin this what is needed is this equation:  wall funding + D Senate votes = government stays "open". 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

If you took a poll of this group, my guess is most of the people here would be cheering a government shutdown. It is unlikely you will see a shutdown that causes maximum pain on the general populous while costing more to incur that pain *cough*Obama*cough*. 

Trump is a negotiator. Everyone does not have to like everything he says or does. Right now, the ball is in the Democrats court... Chuckie gets nine D Senators to vote for  $5B in wall funding, and the government stays "open". Chuckie doesn't, and things get worse as the new House will not have the votes to fund a government as their whole platform will be #resist. And, they will still need D votes in the Senate after the new House is installed in January.

No matter how anyone would like to spin this what is needed is this equation:  wall funding + D Senate votes = government stays "open". 

I am not quite 100% sure of your position here. Is it that Trump should get 100% of want he wants..no questions asked..or he shuts down the government?

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

I am not quite 100% sure of your position here. Is it that Trump should get 100% of want he wants..no questions asked..or he shuts down the government?

But he's not getting what he wants. His original ask was four or five times this ask. 

6 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Heck, I think we should be operating in “shutdown” mode all the time. A shutdown only effects non-essential activities, and if it’s not essential, it should be outside the purview of the federal government. 

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

But he's not getting what he wants. His original ask was four or five times this ask. 

but is your premise that if he does not get  want he wants, on any issue..the result should be a government shutdown? 

Does not matter what  his ask was..that means nothing..just cause someone says I want  you to buy a rotten egg for $1,000 , and then agrees to sell it to you for $.25 , that is not a compromise....it is still worth nothing 

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

but is your premise that if he does not get  want he wants, on any issue..the result should be a government shutdown? 

Does not matter what  his ask was..that means nothing..just cause someone says I want  you to buy a rotten egg for $1,000 , and then agrees to sell it to you for $.25 , that is not a compromise....it is still worth nothing 

Any issue is quite broad. On this issue, my answer would be yes. 

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Any issue is quite broad. On this issue, my answer would be yes. 

I would then ask the question..how do you determine the right issues? 

Why can't he shut down Mexico instead, they are the ones backing out of their commitment to fund the wall no?

19 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

Heck, I think we should be operating in “shutdown” mode all the time. A shutdown only effects non-essential activities, and if it’s not essential, it should be outside the purview of the federal government. 

Federal parks are the only thing that irk me. 

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

What part of the shut down scares you?  It will not impact your life or most of American Life just the same as Trump being president affects next to no one.

Trump is only one small figure with the greatest opportunity to make a difference and at what point will spending be adjusted?  He's doing a horse trade with a horse face and a mule. Nancy and Chuck are too proud and too stupid to win this without losing more ground because most of America doesn't care about a shut down.

Which is why your rotten egg analogy is poor. A rotten egg is still a rotten egg and has worth to someone somewhere so long as it is a bargaining chip. Trump holds every chip right now just like Obama did during the last shutdown and it looked poorly on the GOP in the last shut down. Where Trump will likely win out is when he continues to use his foolishness to talk the Twitter game and call them out while being too much in check to use EO's around whatever nonsense can't be governed successfully. Obama's fiat rule of law pronouned in EO is no more and Trump would be wise to not continue that fools [erasing] legacy.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Mexico did shut down their border. Link 

i was just busting..but Trump did promise us Mexico would pay right? I mean your anger should either be pointed at Trump or Mexico..not the folks who are not caving.

btw, I am fine with a wall.. I don't know if it will work or not...but we are not exactly talking any kind of real money here. I know folks who like Trump want us who don't to ignore his words and tweets, but unfortunately, that is not reality. And I am talking about the words he uses when talking about immigration, not silly Mexico thing