The Trump Shutdown

Well, I have to admit that Schumer is laying it on thick, and I have little love for these two. But let's give credit where credit is due.

Mr. 45 has owned any impending shutdown.

https://thepoliticalinsider.com/trump-shutdown/

All I'm going to say is this: while the Republicans control both houses of Congress, and the executive branch until January 3rd...when it will control two of those three.

If they can't do anything until then, then yeah, the president needs to own up to his comments about how shutdowns are the president's fault.

• Like (+1) 1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as Trump pointed out to Nancy today, 10 Democrats need to vote for wall funding in the Senate - which Chuckie will not allow (notice the lack of eye contact on Schumer's part when he speaks to Trump). The fact that the Democrats are unwilling to vote for wall funding, and cannot explain why they do not want to have a border wall. 

While President Trump is willing to shut down the government without wall funding, the Senate Ds will not give him the wall funding.

Trump ran on building a wall. Crossings are down where there is a physical wall. It appears to work. However, the Democrats do not see a need for a wall.  Quid pro quo... give wall funding, the government does not shut down. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Well, as Trump pointed out to Nancy today, 10 Democrats need to vote for wall funding in the Senate - which Chuckie will not allow (notice the lack of eye contact on Schumer's part when he speaks to Trump). The fact that the Democrats are unwilling to vote for wall funding, and cannot explain why they do not want to have a border wall. 

While President Trump is willing to shut down the government without wall funding, the Senate Ds will not give him the wall funding.

Trump ran on building a wall. Crossings are down where there is a physical wall. It appears to work. However, the Democrats do not see a need for a wall.  Quid pro quo... give wall funding, the government does not shut down. 

In the most obvious riposte: If the US government is already succeeding using $1.6 billion is border security funding, why do you need $5 billion? Is that worth stopping all security over?

To which I go to the itemized reasons this makes no sense:

A) Can you actually give me data as to how physical security has stopped crossings? This is a legitimate question, not a trap. I am rather curious if you have any facts that can be verified.

B) Bulls**t, the Dems can't explain why they don't want a border wall. Holy hell, this is the easier argument for a libertarian to make. It is:

• A massive government works project
  • Will require the seizure of land from private citizens via eminent domain
  • violates state's rights, as the federal government will be overriding the enumerated powers that they are supposed to have regarding enforcement
  • even if it is built, it will require continual manpower assignment and maintenance
  • you can do far better national security policing by taking equivalent funds and giving them to intelligence agencies and law enforcement
  • a static emplacement like a wall is useless against catapults shooting drugs over the border, vast networks of cartel tunnels, air drops, naval crossings, smuggling through our ports and is just an god awful waste of money for an extremely limited and stationary structure.

I have long held that the Wall is all the stupidest parts of Democratic mismanagement, only now it's the Republican base's turn to be idiots.

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

In the most obvious riposte: If the US government is already succeeding using $1.6 billion is border security funding, why do you need $5 billion? Is that worth stopping all security over?

To which I go to the itemized reasons this makes no sense:

A) Can you actually give me data as to how physical security has stopped crossings? This is a legitimate question, not a trap. I am rather curious if you have any facts that can be verified.

B) Bulls**t, the Dems can't explain why they don't want a border wall. Holy hell, this is the easier argument for a libertarian to make. It is:

• A massive government works project
  • Will require the seizure of land from private citizens via eminent domain
  • violates state's rights, as the federal government will be overriding the enumerated powers that they are supposed to have regarding enforcement
  • even if it is built, it will require continual manpower assignment and maintenance
  • you can do far better national security policing by taking equivalent funds and giving them to intelligence agencies and law enforcement
  • a static emplacement like a wall is useless against catapults shooting drugs over the border, vast networks of cartel tunnels, air drops, naval crossings, smuggling through our ports and is just an god awful waste of money for an extremely limited and stationary structure.

I have long held that the Wall is all the stupidest parts of Democratic mismanagement, only now it's the Republican base's turn to be idiots.

a) Watch the video. Trump lists it in the first 5 minutes.

b )  I started to refute your points, but my goodness... very little of it made sense. Democrats have LOVED massive work projects in the past. The United States government is responsible for border security and has border crossings in many states. A federal work project is exactly what reimbursed eminent domain should be used for (not sure how useful that land is now to people who own it considering the dangerous cast of characters shuffling drugs and human traffic across their lands).

The Dems sure did like the idea of a physical barrier in 2006.  Of those 26 Ds voting yes, 5 are still in the Senate. If Chuckie doesn't have the political clout to round-up 5 yes votes to fund a wall and keep the government open, he is a weak leader.  

* Since I did the work of figure out who the yea votes for the Ds that were still in the Senate are, I will share:  Dianne Feinstein, Chuck Schumer, Ron Wyden, Thomas Carper, Debbie Stabenow

• Like (+1) 1

Shut down?  Fine with me. We'll still have funds for Military and entitlements.  The rest can rot

53 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Well, I have to admit that Schumer is laying it on thick, and I have little love for these two. But let's give credit where credit is due.

Mr. 45 has owned any impending shutdown.

https://thepoliticalinsider.com/trump-shutdown/

All I'm going to say is this: while the Republicans control both houses of Congress, and the executive branch until January 3rd...when it will control two of those three.

If they can't do anything until then, then yeah, the president needs to own up to his comments about how shutdowns are the president's fault.

The government continuing to run with no budget, at huge deficits and no border security would be far more disappointing to me.   Shut the ***** down!

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

The poster made a good point, several actually. 

None of which he came to on his own. He regurgitated talking points hot off the press. That's not impressive. It's sycophantic. 

7 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

b )  I started to refute your points, but my goodness... very little of it made sense. Democrats have LOVED massive work projects in the past. The United States government is responsible for border security and has border crossings in many states. A federal work project is exactly what reimbursed eminent domain should be used for (not sure how useful that land is now to people who own it considering the dangerous cast of characters shuffling drugs and human traffic across their lands).

The Dems sure did like the idea of a physical barrier in 2006.  Of those 26 Ds voting yes, 5 are still in the Senate. If Chuckie doesn't have the political clout to round-up 5 yes votes to fund a wall and keep the government open, he is a weak leader.  

* Since I did the work of figure out who the yea votes for the Ds that were still in the Senate are, I will share:  Dianne Feinstein, Chuck Schumer, Ron Wyden, Thomas Carper, Debbie Stabenow

:beer: 

It's a wasted effort, sadly. But a noble one. He's too far gone in his TDS to see reason or logic. He's propagandized to the max.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

How would you know?

19 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

None of which he came to on his own. He regurgitated talking points hot off the press. That's not impressive. It's sycophantic. 

:beer: 

It's a wasted effort, sadly. But a noble one. He's too far gone in his TDS to see reason or logic. He's propagandized to the max.

Ok. Name the press. If this is "hot off the lib NPC press", tell me what it's from. 

Because actual, conservative government analysis couldn't come from me unless I know better than you. Which, let's be honest here, is not that hard

30 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Dude, there's a reason why I'm an independent. Just because Trump is unspeakably moronic doesn't make the Dems magically brilliant. They are simply the most ready way to avoid disaster.

They deserve to be called out for hypocrisy and bad ideas. 

I dont see how continued examination, debate and rejection of ideas is a bad thing.

18 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Dude, there's a reason why I'm an independent. Just because Trump is unspeakably moronic doesn't make the Dems magically brilliant. They are simply the most ready way to avoid disaster.

They deserve to be called out for hypocrisy and bad ideas. 

I dont see how continued examination, debate and rejection of ideas is a bad thing.

Sorry sweetie, I am not a dude. ? The "Gal" in my handle should make that perfectly clear. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

It boggles my mind that the issue of border security is so divided that not even a little common sense comes into play.

And contrary to the left's beliefs, starting with these two parasites (Pelosi, a.k a. Skeletor, and Cryin Chuck), the President is 100% on this issue.

People wanting to enter our country need to be vetted. Case closed. Every other country in this world does this.

Why is this concept so hard for a Democrat to understand?

Edited by njbuff
  • Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Serious question.  Can the president "shut down the government"?  I thought Congress had the power of the purse.

Yes and no. He can veto any continuing resolutions/budgets. The 'shutdown' is automatic when the government hits the artificially-created debt ceiling and cannot legally borrow any more money by selling treasury bonds.

I wonder if he will close unmanned free national parks/monuments by paying parks workers to erect physical barriers like Obama did.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Serious question.  Can the president "shut down the government"?  I thought Congress had the power of the purse.

Republican President = Republicans fault

Democrat President with Republican House = Republicans fault

Democrat President with Democrat House = Republicans fault

Haven't you been paying attention to The Narrative?

14 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Yes and no. He can veto any continuing resolutions/budgets. The 'shutdown' is automatic when the government hits the artificially-created debt ceiling and cannot legally borrow any more money by selling treasury bonds.

I wonder if he will close unmanned free national parks/monuments by paying parks workers to erect physical barriers like Obama did.

That was one of the lowest things that "richard" did while president. Cost more money to close and guard them, but put a maximum hurt on the public.  Now, normally I would think a President would do something like that so the public would blame the House (Republicans) at the time, but honestly? With Obama? I am sure that petulant #@$!#@ loved causing maximum inconvenience and monetary harm to as many Americans as he possibly could, in the pettiest way possible.