The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

Speaking of running way from posts filled with information and data...

Care to comment on the post I made today citing numerous facts and statistics pointing out the futility and ineffectiveness of the wall?

It included multiple quality and difficult-to-refute points and well reasoned arguments -- most coming from conservative outlets, no less -- and neither you nor any other seemingly wall-supporting person said a peep. 

The assumed moral and intellectual superiority -- not to mention hypocrisy -- of many on this forum is staggering. 

Their answers were: "No, we don't like thinkpieces. Also, here is a survey of government employees."

Yes, I am going out of my way to insult them. I am being the gadfly. But I try to provide fact checked info, try to make sure that I am not pulling dreck from liberal rags. 

I was once asked, "Why are you so upset."

Like you have found, it was, as you put it: "assumed moral and intellectual superiority -- not to mention hypocrisy" of what I have found.

Also....let's get back on track from the Wall stuff:

Trump has still shut down the government. The House keeps passing the Senate approved bills, if McConnell will let it go to a vote. 

McConnell and Trump remain the biggest reasons for the shutdown. Wall negotiations can still happen without the collateral damage. Trump just seems to think that he should include that in his bargaining price.

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Their answers were: "No, we don't like thinkpieces. Also, here is a survey of government employees."

Incorrect. 

Just now, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Yes, I am going out of my way to insult them. I am being the gadfly. But I try to provide fact checked info, try to make sure that I am not pulling dreck from liberal rags. 

It's all you have left to offer, since you're unwilling to converse honestly or openly. You don't fact check your sources, you regurgitate only those sources which speak to your preformed conclusions on any matter. It's your track record to date down here, and it's piss poor. 

1 minute ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Like you have found, it was, as you put it: "assumed moral and intellectual superiority -- not to mention hypocrisy" of what I have found.

Wait, you mean the guy who calls those who disagree with them "white nationalists" without evidence isn't speaking from a place of assumed moral and intellectual superiority? 

Projection and deflection. It's all NPCinPhilly has left. 

2 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Trump has still shut down the government. The House keeps passing the Senate approved bills, if McConnell will let it go to a vote. 

McConnell and Trump remain the biggest reasons for the shutdown. Wall negotiations can still happen without the collateral damage. Trump just seems to think that he should include that in his bargaining price.

Proving again you're more interested in what the narrative engineers of your party push rather than the truth. 

You're terrible at this whole thinking for yourself thing.

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Questions for you open border chaps:

1) Do you have a door on your house?

2) Do you have walls on your house?

3) Would you (or have you) call the police if someone trespassed inside of your home?

Would you be upset if someone burst into your living room and started raping a 6 year old.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

3) Would you (or have you) call the police if someone trespassed inside of your home?

Not an open border chap, but here goes:

1) yes

2) yes

3) I’d call the coroner, but I’m sure the police would come too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The reality is that you're sourcing opinion pieces, and disregarding data which runs strongly against your biases.

And in doing so, you're aiding and abetting the systemic rape and slavery of young Hispanic children, because you care more about politics and emoting than you do about people.

It's ugly, and sad.

But it's who you are as a man.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

Let me answer the way the liberals look at it

1. Yes

2. Yes

3.  Give them a job and free food 

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

The reality is that you're sourcing opinion pieces, and disregarding data which runs strongly against your biases.

And in doing so, you're aiding and abetting the systemic rape and slavery of young Hispanic children, because you care more about politics and emoting than you do about people.

It's ugly, and sad.

But it's who you are as a man.

No, I source data that is verifiable, can be cross checked, and also the interpretations of experts in their field.

You make up random bull####, and reject reality. And then throw up ***** about "systemic rape and slavery of young Hispanic children" and then promptly ignore anything that might actually help the problem that isn't in your myopic worldview. You reject the idea that "hey, how about 5.7 billion dollars into something that isn't a waste of money" might be a better idea.

You reject any reality that isn't your own, and any solution to the problem that isn't the one you have chosen, no matter how poor yours is equals raping children in your mind.

You sicken me. You are a hypocrite of the worst kind, and you are too jaw droppingly stupid to realize it.

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Again, just wanted to hope back in the parts about how wall is useless, including against the movement of goods. The Cato Institute one is of special note in that regard.

Why are you so against it? Where you against it last year when the dems were for it?

57 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

No, I source data that is verifiable, can be cross checked, and also the interpretations of experts in their field.

No, you actually don't.  Allow me to help you here as you struggle:  You source op-ed pieces, which are anecdotal.  The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

Data is what I have provided:  89% of BP agents support a wall and feel it would make them more effective in their jobs, while only 7% disagree.

Further data I provided when you dismissed those 89% of BP agents as "hillbillies with rape fantasies of brown people", was that 52% of border agents are Hispanic.

You make up random bull####, and reject reality.

No, what I do is source data.  What you do is post anecdotes and op-eds which don't even entirely support your position.

To wit:

This article you linked as evidence of your position was an interview with a border patrol agent:  https://www.cbsnews.com/news/border-patrol-officers-us-mexico-border-wall/

Ignoring the fact that you argued out the other side of your mouth that border patrol agents were racist hillbilly rapists, and thusly their opinions on the issue shouldn't matter, you asserted that it was evidence of your position because an expert was referenced giving a first hand accounting, and stated that "nothing would stop smuggling and trafficking".

A few points:

You selectively ignored the fact that:  "Eisenhauer declined to comment on “policy or legislation,” but maintained that the solution to border security requires a combination of technology, infrastructure and agents."  (hint:  infrastructure means a wall)

There are no 100% sure methods of stopping human trafficking, but the article cleanly skits around the facts that the quotes being used indicate that wall segments would certainly make it more difficult for slavers:

“What we see is, to avoid detection, these criminal networks will try and exploit areas that are more remote... kind of a harsher terrain, with the idea that agents have less of a response time and less of response capabilities there and that there is less tactical infrastructure in those areas,”

“Border fortification means a lot of things in different areas,” said Eisenhauer. “In areas where we can’t have a physical structure, we use the environmental challenges to funnel traffic into certain areas to identify and apprehend [individuals] in a more effective manner.”

This is exactly what the wall segments being proposed are designed to achieve:  to force traffickers away from these remote and inaccessible areas, and to funnel them towards areas which are easier patrolled and have shorter response times.  It is a creation of the "tactical infrastructure" the agent says is lacking. 

And then throw up ***** about "systemic rape and slavery of young Hispanic children" and then promptly ignore anything that might actually help the problem that isn't in your myopic worldview.

Oh, look, a lie in two parts!

I'll address your first lie:  And then throw up ***** about "systemic rape and slavery of young Hispanic children"

This is the single greatest humanitarian crisis we face as a people.  Because of the logistics of human smuggling, the easiest way to get them into the country is through our largely unprotected border with a third world country.  It is far more difficult to bring them in through designated ports of entry which have security check points.  Again, the wall is not a panacea, but rather is a tool, and only part of the solution.

As to the nature of the trafficking situation on the border:

First, two articles, one from a left leaning site, one from a right leaning site:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/ana-davila/drug-cartels-where-human-trafficking-and-human-smuggling-meet-today_b_7588408.html 

https://us.blastingnews.com/news/2017/02/the-trafficking-of-children-at-the-mexican-border-001504697.html

Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_trafficking_in_Mexico 

Various government and international organizations:

https://ncfy.acf.hhs.gov/library/2011/human-trafficking-sex-tourism-and-child-exploitation-southern-border 

https://www.unicefusa.org/mission/protect/trafficking

http://www.ecpat.org/wp-content/uploads/legacy/Factsheet_Mexico.pdf

https://www.cbp.gov/border-security/human-trafficking

Now for the second part of your lie:  and then promptly ignore anything that might actually help the problem that isn't in your myopic worldview.

No where have I argued that the construction of wall segments is the only thing we should be spending money on in regards to the border.  We also need to increase the amount of actual man power, and implement technology that would help such as "ground sensors and infrared and camera technology."

Personally, I'm in favor of completely militarizing the border in addition to the wall.

You reject the idea that "hey, how about 5.7 billion dollars into something that isn't a waste of money" might be a better idea.

I reject the idea because the experts who do the work of breaking up child trafficking rings every day insist a wall would help them do so; and don't believe that, given a fiscal budget of over 4.4 trillion dollars for the year 2019, that 5.9 billion is too much to spend if it makes the job easier (IE sets slaves free).

You reject any reality that isn't your own, and any solution to the problem that isn't the one you have chosen, no matter how poor yours is equals raping children in your mind.

You sicken me. You are a hypocrite of the worst kind, and you are too jaw droppingly stupid to realize it.

I believe I've amply demonstrated this not to be the case, and conversely have allowed you to paint yourself as a raving lunatic, dismissive of data, and so dogmatically opposed to the current President of the United States that you would rather see the weakest and most at risk among us suffer at the hands of brutal captors than allow the President a political victory, even when it's the right thing to do in the name of human freedom.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker
  • Awesome! (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

No, you actually don't.  Allow me to help you here as you struggle:  You source op-ed pieces, which are anecdotal.  The plural of "anecdote" is not "data".

The real plural of "Data":

1024.eo.BrentSpiner.Data.StrTrk.081712.j

• Haha (+1) 4

9 hours ago, BigMcD said:

FFS just get Mexico to cut the initial check and get going. It’s easy to get them to pay for it. 

Yep. Just tell Mexico if we don't build the wall, Canadians will start invading Mexico.

They'll HELP build the wall. Because let's face it...not even the Mexicans want anything to do with Canadians.

• Awesome! (+1) 1