The Trump Shutdown

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Trump went to Iraq during the shutdown"...............all dem spokespeople and the media ( But I repeat myself) shouting in unison.......

The commander in chief making a Christmas visit to troops in a battle zone doesn't really equate to congressmen and women going on a public relations tour.

Weirdly the people celebrating separation of powers when Pelosi canceled the SOTU yesterday have slightly different feelings about Trump returning the favor today

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

This is amazing...

Adam Schiff just gave a news conference (no one asked him about the now exposed lies in his memo) and he looked like someone just kicked his dog. 

Wonder why they were so excited to go to Brussels... 

It's a mystery.

Hard to argue against this if you're on the left considering the sob stories they've trotted out this week.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

:lol:

1882654152_DxIrbtUXcAA5T07.jpglarge.thumb.jpg.1b6a79f24b77386f992275fbffb1f868.thumb.jpg.a2c1c4c65d2991d22dde6fc39ee8cd23.jpg

46 minutes ago, B-Man said:

I assumed that the  letter from President Trump to Speaker Pelosi was a fake,  but no—it’s real, and it’s spectacular! 

Economy yawning at shutdown

Let's just take a moment to truly appreciate this moment.  I've done my share of trolling and so have many of my fellow PPP denizens, including some with TDS

You truly have to admire this piece of trollcraft.  Trump is an artist and this was a masterpiece :beer:

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Adam Schiff just gave a news conference (no one asked him about the now exposed lies in his memo) and he looked like someone just kicked his dog. 

Wonder why they were so excited to go to Brussels... 

It's a mystery.

Hard to argue against this if you're on the left considering the sob stories they've trotted out this week.

Absolutely amazing...

• Like (+1) 1

Much analysis of Trump letter to Pelosi as childish, playground, nah-nah gesture..... No argument here.

Just yesterday, though, Pelosi's equally childish gesture was characterized as playing hardball.

TRUMP TO PELOSI: Sorry, your private-jet junket to Europe and parts east is a casualty of the shutdown. 

Clever how he mentions “flying commercial” just to make clear that she wasn’t planning to.

White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders told reporters that Trump just wants to keep lawmakers in Washington until they can work out a deal to secure the U.S. border and fund ongoing government operations.

“If she leaves, she guarantees that the second round of paychecks to workers won’t go out,” Sanders said.

Trump Cancels Pelosi’s Taxpayer-Funded Vacations Following Her State Of The Union Stunt

• Like (+1) 1

Just yesterday, @LeaderHoyer announced the recess next week was canceled because of the shutdown,

but somehow the House was going to conduct business with the Speaker and a bunch of Members jetting off today to Europe and the Middle East for 7 days?

Someone is lying.

(Someone in the Democrat Party)

Glenn Kessler Retweeted Sarah Sanders

Curious to see if half the cabinet and Javanka now sticks with the plan to go to Davos

.Newsflash to the WAPO:

none of those people can vote to address the border crisis or re-open the government

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/11/2019 at 2:24 PM, Foxx said:

ladders may work from the side your coming from, but then what? drop 30' to the ground? seems like you are asking for trouble not to mention dropping kids from that height might not be the best advice. 

Donald Trump asked that same question only to two seconds later claim that the technology behind ropes would foil a 30 foot drop. You could also toss a ladder on the other side and have someone climb down with a rope then place the ladder on the other side to make things easier for people who might not be able to use a rope. I don't doubt a wall would provide some impediment but is it honestly cost effective compared to other ways of border security? To build a wall that covers all of the border is going to cost more than 5.7 billion dollars. I am not opposed to limited fencing for more remote areas but a massive border wall would cost 20 plus billion dollars and still need billions of dollars of man power and technology behind it. 

I would rather put that 20 billion into hiring 10,000 border patrol agents for 10 years. implementing technology to secure the border, and do limited fencing in higher risk areas if that's something border experts would think is necessary. A wall across all of the border seems like a symbolic gesture devoid of any real impact. 

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Donald Trump asked that same question only to two seconds later claim that the technology behind ropes would foil a 30 foot drop. You could also toss a ladder on the other side and have someone climb down with a rope then place the ladder on the other side to make things easier for people who might not be able to use a rope. I don't doubt a wall would provide some impediment but is it honestly cost effective compared to other ways of border security? To build a wall that covers all of the border is going to cost more than 5.7 billion dollars. I am not opposed to limited fencing for more remote areas but a massive border wall would cost 20 plus billion dollars and still need billions of dollars of man power and technology behind it. 

I would rather put that 20 billion into hiring 10,000 border patrol agents for 10 years. implementing technology to secure the border, and do limited fencing in higher risk areas if that's something border experts would think is necessary. A wall across all of the border seems like a symbolic gesture devoid of any real impact. 

Man power and funding can change on a whim with a downturn, new Congress, or new President.

A wall is a permanent structure which will address the problem regardless of the politics of the day.

• Like (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Let's just take a moment to truly appreciate this moment.  I've done my share of trolling and so have many of my fellow PPP denizens, including some with TDS

You truly have to admire this piece of trollcraft.  Trump is an artist and this was a masterpiece :beer:

President Hogboy.  

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

3 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Man power and funding can change on a whim with a downturn, new Congress, or new President.

A wall is a permanent structure which will address the problem regardless of the politics of the day.

not to mention that the CBP has stated repeatedly that a barrier is an effective means of deterrent.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

As many have stated a walls effectiveness is only as good as the maintenance and manpower behind it. So why put up a 20 billion dollar structure whose impact is limited to how well you patrol it? So this idea that you put the wall up and that solves the issue for all time is just not true. If your manpower behind the wall and the funding to maintain the wall gets lower than it becomes very ineffective and just stands as more of a symbol and a minor inconvenience over come by ropes, carpets, and ladders. 

Not to mention the other secondary costs of a wall such as having to take land from citizens of the US, the logistical and legal implications of such a large use of imminent domain, the environmental costs, and the loss of access to the Rio Grande river. 

You could literally take the 20 billion in funding a full scale border wall would create and pay for 10 years worth of 10,000 additional border patrol agents, new technology, and even limited fencing. But instead you want a wall that will still require all those things and come at a much steeper cost?