The Trump Shutdown

19 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

I posted the website of Dave Ramsey, a radio host that teaches people how to get out of debt and save money. It's basically sacrifice early on in life so that you aren't a slave to debt and interest.

People need to be careful with Ramsey.  A fair amount of what he says is sound such as figuring a dollar amount per month that you can pay for a vehicle and still feed a rainy day fund.  Even if doing this does not satisfy a whim.  But his ideas on paying down debt warrants close scrutiny.  Too many times I have heard some of his callers say they have paid down six figures of debt in a couple of years without giving a whole lot of detail.  Were they making six figures to start with?  Was the waitress running a personal brothel in the storage room?  Did a guy start selling drugs?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

Pelosi IMO has nothing to lose by holding out.  The media will have her back.  Her House members are mostly in lock step with her or are afraid of her.  She and much of the Dem base don't want border security or don't care. Mexico hasn't yet offered to pay for the wall, and Nancy is Harry Reid nasty and stubborn. 

As time goes on Government workers not getting paid will make an increasing amount of noise and the media will run wild with that.  All of the pressure is on Trump and will continue to be IMO.  Trump has done a mostly lousy job of presenting the issue of border security to Americans and an even lousier job of exposing his opposition's true position of wanting open borders

He can't win an honest debate about the border. There is no major problem of an invasion that requires a wall or anything like that. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It's not a difficult concept: don't buy what you don't need.  Spend less than you earn.  With the rest, save, then invest.

And credit is not cash.  It's debt against future earnings - which is useful tool, but an awful lifestyle.

A good plan if you can do it but there are quite a few that are hand to mouth through no fault of their own.  They don't buy vehicles and homes that they can not afford.  

10 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

This is a common problem. I was getting tires for my Corolla and the guy putting on the tires--earns less than me, I assume--was saying how lucky I was because his pick up truck costs twice as much to get tires. And I said, ya, and every time you fill up at the pump too! 

I did not know that they have Corolla's in Eastern Europe?

5 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

A good plan if you can do it but there are quite a few that are hand to mouth through no fault of their own.  They don't buy vehicles and homes that they can not afford.  

Judging by your posts, you do not know much of anything. Clown 

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Judging by your posts, you do not know much of anything. Clown 

Good clowns such as myself are making in the high five figures so we don't have to buy a Corolla if we don't want to.  By the way I thought that Soros had some old Yugo's in the fleet for the cubicle farm.

49 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

It's not a difficult concept: don't buy what you don't need.  Spend less than you earn.  With the rest, save, then invest.

And credit is not cash.  It's debt against future earnings - which is useful tool, but an awful lifestyle.

don't go to Starbucks, you'll have enough before you know it to make that downpayment on the $1.5M condo (that tiny one)

Edited by row_33

43 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

My son-in-law can't afford to buy a house but can pick up carry-out and get his coffee from Starbucks nearly every day.

This is like the people that just need to have a kid even though they can barely make ends meet themselves. Then they act like people are supposed to feel bad for them because they're struggling. I do feel bad...for the kid. Not their fault they had morons for parents that made a selfish decision to have them without the means to support them.

18 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Good clowns such as myself are making in the high five figures so we don't have to buy a Corolla if we don't want to.  By the way I thought that Soros had some old Yugo's in the fleet for the cubicle farm.

Have to buy? How about being smart about managing your money so you keep more of it, you clown 

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Have to buy? How about being smart about managing your money so you keep more of it, you clown 

i drive a 2006 Silverado with under 90K miles because I have a need for a truck.  Most of the vehicles I have bought were not high end models.  I've run a Geo Metro literally into the ground.  About the most "spendy" car I bought was a student driver Chevy with 3,500 miles on it for 18,500 dollars.  I saved nearly 8,000 dollars versus buying the same thing new.  Served me well as all the vehicles have.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

He misspelled Crayola.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm loving this.  People telling other people how to handle their money.  Assuming if people are living paycheck to paycheck it's because they're blowing there money on luxuries. 

Maybe they have a person in their family with a chronic illness that sucks up a lot of ca$h.  Maybe they are paying back student loans.  Maybe they do save but it's in their 401K which they can't take it out without a huge penalty.  You have no idea.

Judging people whose paycheck has been ended due to no fault of their own and then giving them advice from afar not knowing their circumstances is a pompous arrogant attitude IMHO.

If you're living paycheck to paycheck because you're paying back your student loan you paid too much for college, got the wrong degree or your parents didn't have the forethought to think about the cost of raising and educating a child before they had one. 

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

I posted the website of Dave Ramsey, a radio host that teaches people how to get out of debt and save money. It's basically sacrifice early on in life so that you aren't a slave to debt and interest.

Live like no one else so you can live like no one else.  

3 minutes ago, keepthefaith said:

It is.  Seriously hilarious.  Even Obama is probably laughing. 

I told my sister awhile back that Trump was the most entertaining President ever! She said she doesn't need the President to entertain her.  Seriously??  This ***** is awesome.  

• Like (+1) 1

What a day to be alive

The bus went around the block and back to the Capitol where members eventually got off.

The wheels on the bus go round and round!

"It's not an attempt to stick it to @NancyPelosi, it's an attempt to keep Speaker Pelosi in the country so she can negotiate." -- @johnrobertsFox reporting what WH sources are saying about cancelling Pelosi's military flight to EU.

CNN is now claiming on air that Trump grounding Pelosi’s flight could trigger an international crisis..........?

• Haha (+1) 4