The Trump Shutdown

12 hours ago, njbuff said:

It’s about the Dems not giving Trump and his base a win.

This might get uglier before it gets better. Neither party wants to be in the same room as one another.

Hatred is blinding everyone on the right now and it’s truly sad.

Fixed it for you.

Look, this is really simple: The Republican led Senate passed a bill UNANINMOUSLY fund the government.

Lil' Baby Trump got a talking to from Ann Coulter and threw a temper tantrum and changed the deal

The new House approves the first deal

Trump says he won't sign the deal until he gets his money

Democrats say "Look, we can talk about that. We have stuff to bargain for, but if we reward you for throwing a tantrum, you are going to do this every few months."

Trump continues to act like a small child who just had his toy taken away.

McConnell enables him by preventing the Senate from voting on the same thing they unanimously passed a month ago

It's so obviously Trump being spiteful and McConnell being spineless.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WASHINGTON — The partial government shutdown is inflicting far greater damage on the United States economy than previously estimated, the White House acknowledged on Tuesday, as President Trump’s economists doubled projections of how much economic growth is being lost each week the standoff with Democrats continues.

The revised estimates from the Council of Economic Advisers show that the shutdown, now in its fourth week, is beginning to have real economic consequences. The analysis, and other projections from outside the White House, suggests that the shutdown has already weighed significantly on growth and could ultimately push the United States economy into a contraction.

Tisk tisk 

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/15/us/politics/government-shutdown-economy.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

AMERICA’S SHUTDOWN INDIFFERENCE, EXPLAINED:

I mention these anecdotes not because I think the present record-setting shutdown is good or sane policy but because I am trying to illustrate why I and other Americans have a hard time caring much about it. In the popular imagination — and sometimes in dozens of little-read memos from the inspectors general of various departments — the average federal employee appears to be lazy, incompetent, performing meaningless tasks for too much pay, with an enviable array of benefits and other amenities (I still roll my eyes in disgust whenever I am reminded that there exist special credit unions for federal employees, whose pay and job security would be the envy of a hundred million other Americans). Government employees, at both the state and federal level, are among the only workers in the United States who continue to be represented by powerful unions, despite the fact that by definition they’re not bargaining against capital but against their fellow citizens.

This is to say nothing of the vast assortment of contractors, consultants, and hangers-on whose “work” has been temporarily interrupted by the shutdown. Their grotesque salaries have blighted the landscape with McMansions and driven housing prices in Maryland and northern Virginia to a level beyond what most families with children will ever be able to afford. So the people whose job it is to bid up the price of useless airplanes or dream up rival marketing schemes for some “cloud” project while our nation’s capital lacks a functional public transit system are going to have .05 percent fewer billable hours for the year? Boo hoo.

Coal miners lose their jobs for good and it’s “you’re obsolete, learn to code!” Federal workers have a few paychecks delayed and the press is in heartstring-tugging mode.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Fixed it for you.

Look, this is really simple: The Republican led Senate passed a bill UNANINMOUSLY fund the government.

Lil' Baby Trump got a talking to from Ann Coulter and threw a temper tantrum and changed the deal

The new House approves the first deal

Trump says he won't sign the deal until he gets his money

Democrats say "Look, we can talk about that. We have stuff to bargain for, but if we reward you for throwing a tantrum, you are going to do this every few months."

Trump continues to act like a small child who just had his toy taken away.

McConnell enables him by preventing the Senate from voting on the same thing they unanimously passed a month ago

It's so obviously Trump being spiteful and McConnell being spineless.

If you just stretch a little further I believe you can reach the straw.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

One  of these days the occupant of the Oval Office might learn  that words have meaning and consequences.  When you are shown on camera telling the Democratic leaders that you will take responsibility for the shut down, people will tend to believe you take responsibility for the shut down.

35 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

One  of these days the occupant of the Oval Office might learn  that words have meaning and consequences.  When you are shown on camera telling the Democratic leaders that you will take responsibility for the shut down, people will tend to believe you take responsibility for the shut down.

Putting it in the proper light, Trump is willing to take the heat for the partial shutdown in order to fulfill his duty to protect the American people. In addition, he is doing his level best to thwart the child/sex slavery rings and proliferation of illegal drug smuggling. In the meantime Pelosi and Schumer are doing the utmost to make Trump cave so that it has political implications 2 years from now.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

His fatal flaw seems to be overestimating the intelligence of the public. Once the house passed a bill that provided funding for the wall the dynamics changed. Now it is quite literally the Democrats who are forcing a shutdown by blocking the vote in the senate.

Don't expect CNN to tell you that.

5 minutes ago, Swill Merchant said:

His fatal flaw seems to be overestimating the intelligence of the public. Once the house passed a bill that provided funding for the wall the dynamics changed. Now it is quite literally the Democrats who are forcing a shutdown by blocking the vote in the senate.

Can bills from one session hold over to the next session? I know Schumer blocked that vote in the Senate but that was before 1-3-19.

1 minute ago, 3rdnlng said:

Can bills from one session hold over to the next session? I know Schumer blocked that vote in the Senate but that was before 1-3-19.

Good point. I believe the bill is now dead. Nevertheless, it was the Democrats in the Senate that blocked the vote on the bill that would have prevented the shutdown.

26 minutes ago, Swill Merchant said:

McConnell controls the Senate floor.

And like it or not Trump said he will own the shut down.  Words have meaning, words have consequences.  Democrats should have gone to the White House yesterday I would also say.

36 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

And like it or not Trump said he will own the shut down.  Words have meaning, words have consequences.  Democrats should have gone to the White House yesterday I would also say.

Once again:

Putting it in the proper light, Trump is willing to take the heat for the partial shutdown in order to fulfill his duty to protect the American people. In addition, he is doing his level best to thwart the child/sex slavery rings and proliferation of illegal drug smuggling. In the meantime Pelosi and Schumer are doing the utmost to make Trump cave so that it has political implications 2 years from now.

3 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Once again:

Once again:  when you are filmed saying you own the shut down, people will interpret that to mean you will own the shut down.

38 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Look up "cloture". The Dems blocked the vote. It was out of McConnell's hands.

As far as your "words have consequences" rhetoric, it's an empty argument that is fit for cable news segments, but it does little to inform the reality of the situation.

10 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Once again:  when you are filmed saying you own the shut down, people will interpret that to mean you will own the shut down.

One more time:

He can own the shutdown and still be considered as taking one for the American people. What's more important, part of the government shut down or America's safety?

1 hour ago, 3rdnlng said:

any unfinished business of the old Congress is dead once the new starts....

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

It's called a filibuster... And in the Senate it take 60 votes to move a bill forward. McConnell does NOT control 60 votes

3 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

One of these days the Democratic leaders will have to grow up and put the country ahead of their own personal interests.