The Trump Shutdown

29 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

There's probably some truth in the above....but still made me pause a little....if they think it's not the answer.....and a waste of $$..........They're the one working there on a daily basis.....I put more weight in their comments than politician's....

Did you read the entire article by Caroline Haskins?

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Iron Maiden said:

There's probably some truth in the above....but still made me pause a little....if they think it's not the answer.....and a waste of $$..........They're the one working there on a daily basis.....I put more weight in their comments than politician's....

Me too. 

My opinion on this issue was shaped entirely by conversations and experience I've had with actual CBP/DHS/ICE agents working the worst stretches of the southern border. To a man they all have argued for a wall. 

• If it's not the wall, it'll be something else.  We have a system. Houses of Congress craft legislation. If the vote passes in the house that crafts it, it goes to the other house where it either passes and goes to POTUS or it dies.  If it goes to POTUS and (s)he refuses to sign it, Congress can either kvetch or try to muster an override.  That's how our system was built - in an attempt to maintain a balance of power and keep any single branch or individual from having too much.
  • In this case, the "leader" of the Senate is following orders from POTUS and refusing to allow the Senate to consider bills to open the government, whilst negotiating border security separately. Everyone wants border security. The disagreement is what exactly constitutes effective border security.
  • If you want a wall and think that getting it at any cost is worth it, just consider that they other side is going to be able to do the same thing when they come to power.  And they're going to come to power with a vengeance after this, because no-one believes that anyone but the POTUS is responsible for this mess, and most Americans are savvy enough to realize a wall isn't going to protect the country from a manufactured crisis.  
  • If you don't mind that people are suffering because a supposed "leader" is having a temper tantrum, that's somewhat telling.  And remember next time it could be you caught in the middle.
  • In the meantime, if you know someone caught up in this you might want to be kind and reach out to offer assistance if you can. Seattle is having "resource fairs" here at Sea-Tac airport, one yesterday and another Monday, where people can be connected with various options to keep them going while McConnell hides out under his rock.  I hope other cities are doing the same, but if not the offer of a few extra groceries might be appreciated.

36 minutes ago, blzrul said:
  • If it's not the wall, it'll be something else.  We have a system. Houses of Congress craft legislation. If the vote passes in the house that crafts it, it goes to the other house where it either passes and goes to POTUS or it dies.  If it goes to POTUS and (s)he refuses to sign it, Congress can either kvetch or try to muster an override.  That's how our system was built - in an attempt to maintain a balance of power and keep any single branch or individual from having too much.
  • In this case, the "leader" of the Senate is following orders from POTUS and refusing to allow the Senate to consider bills to open the government, whilst negotiating border security separately. Everyone wants border security. The disagreement is what exactly constitutes effective border security.
  • If you want a wall and think that getting it at any cost is worth it, just consider that they other side is going to be able to do the same thing when they come to power.  And they're going to come to power with a vengeance after this, because no-one believes that anyone but the POTUS is responsible for this mess, and most Americans are savvy enough to realize a wall isn't going to protect the country from a manufactured crisis.  
  • If you don't mind that people are suffering because a supposed "leader" is having a temper tantrum, that's somewhat telling.  And remember next time it could be you caught in the middle.
  • In the meantime, if you know someone caught up in this you might want to be kind and reach out to offer assistance if you can. Seattle is having "resource fairs" here at Sea-Tac airport, one yesterday and another Monday, where people can be connected with various options to keep them going while McConnell hides out under his rock.  I hope other cities are doing the same, but if not the offer of a few extra groceries might be appreciated.

That, or the "leader" of the "senate" isn't interested in tying up the floor of the "senate" in order to "debate" legislation that is going to be "vetoed" by the "president".

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, blzrul said:

The wall argument has been going on for over 30 years because the left has always agreed to fund it if they got what they wanted (mainly amnesty). Then, once they got what they wanted they reneged. There was an agreement a year or so ago that would have built the wall and in turn legitimatized the DACA people. That agreement fell apart once a federal judge unconstitutionally blocked Trump's ability to void an Obama Executive Order that in and of itself was illegal. That effectively took away any leverage that Trump had and the dems  no longer gaveashit about the DACA people other than to use them as a political issue.

The funding that Trump is trying to get is for border security, not just a wall. You on the left try to characterize it as just a wall so that you can criticize it's effectiveness with claims like people can use ladders or build tunnels. The purpose of the wall is to funnel people to ports of entry where they can be vetted properly. What you and all the other libs are calling a "manufactured crisis" is a real crisis, one that includes fighting terrorism, sex slavery and gangs.

Trump is the Git "Er Done President and it scares the hell out of you libs.

• Like (+1) 2

On 1/11/2019 at 10:48 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Actually, I don't... Sometimes.  LoL... /smh

Both neighbors on sides of me have my key, code to garage door.  Heck, even Amazon & Chamberlain are teaming up to get your Garage Door Code.

I am a good leftist. LoL...

On 1/11/2019 at 11:28 AM, Foxx said:

oh good. i'm sure you, your wife and your children won't mind then if we have ICE just drop an illegal family off at your doorstep while your away so they can come right in and make themselves at home. of course, you won't be surprised that they are there when you get home and we can also assume that you will not be calling the police. make sure you take good care of them, feed them, bathe them, care for their medical needs and schooling and trust me, they will need schooling because they probably don't speak English nor are they able to support themselves. 

so glad we have people like you to take care of these poor misfortunate people. we will pray that you don't end up a statistic like many others have. best of luck to you and thank you again.

?

i guess this scenario is going to play out pretty soon in La La Land. will be interesting to see what hypocrisy the Progressives come up with.

LA's Battle for Venice Beach: Homeless Surge Puts Hollywood's Progressive Ideals to the Test

1 hour ago, blzrul said:

What a load

3 hours ago, Iron Maiden said:

Border Patrol Union website had a post saying " A wall would be a waste of tax payer's $$ "...seems like they go back and forth on the issue.....they do mention that a wall or a fence could help, but it does not address the main causes....and focusing on the symptoms....

Unions had a place in this world years ago. They are essentially no longer needed at pretty much any level. Today they are nothing more than a money-laundering operation to elect politicians who pass laws that put more money in the pockets of unions, which put that money into the campaign coffers of the politicians who passed the laws to give them the money in the first place.

No modern day debate has ever been won by starting with the words "According to (XYZ) Union Officials..."

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i guess this scenario is going to play out pretty soon in La La Land. will be interesting to see what hypocrisy the Progressives come up with.

LA's Battle for Venice Beach: Homeless Surge Puts Hollywood's Progressive Ideals to the Test

That's pretty much my backyard. Can confirm, there's a lot of NIMBY going on in Santa Monica and Venice... "walls are bad on the border, but please put some more up by the beach!"

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

That's pretty much my backyard. Can confirm, there's a lot of NIMBY going on in Santa Monica and Venice... "walls are bad on the border, but please put some more up by the beach!"

my apologies.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Not allowing Trump to fulfill his primary campaign promise. 

Without the construction of a "wall", Trump's base will fracture apart. 

The Left has had many stances over the years regarding a wall on the border. Hard to believe them on anything. Trump is playing this smart. If he can't get a deal with the libs he'll simply declare an emergency and the 9th Circuit will shut him down. Not getting a wall will then be the fault of the courts and one of his biggest campaign issues will be revived for the 2020 election. Pelosi's obstinacy will be an issue and will certainly hurt her chances of staying in the majority. The dems always overplay their hand. Always.

2 hours ago, blzrul said:
  • snip

Meanwhile south of your border the Oregon governor''s husband (who doesn't even have the same last name) grabs a selfie stick and partakes in a little political gerrymandering:
NYUPU77VXBGMDDYMZZTHS32FRM.jpg

Oregon governor says husband sending Trump bill for cleaning national forest bathrooms amid government shutdown

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2019/01/oregon-governor-says-husband-sending-trump-bill-for-cleaning-state-forest-bathrooms-amid-government-shutdown.html