The Trump Shutdown

2 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

At the end, Trump took Karl to school. 

Image result for jonathan karl

:lol: 

I gotta ask...

The National Parks are the Holy Ground of the hippy-dippy lot. If you have ever hiked or camped in a national park, you know that not only do you bring out what you brought in, but the hippy-dippy lot will not so gently "remind" you to "pick that up and take it with you" in no uncertain terms if you fail to do so. 

This shutdown has been going on for a few weeks, but the garbage complaints started the day after the shutdown began on December 22nd. The national parks are generally pretty quiet this time of year - at least for families who might be leaving behind some trash.  So my question is: who ran into the national parks the week of Christmas and started leaving behind Reese's wrappers and water bottles? 

And I am suuuuuure people would prefer barricades. ?

• Like (+1) 2

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Buffalo_Gal said:

I gotta ask...

The National Parks are the Holy Ground of the hippy-dippy lot. If you have ever hiked or camped in a national park, you know that not only do you bring out what you brought in, but the hippy-dippy lot will not so gently "remind" you to "pick that up and take it with you" in no uncertain terms if you fail to do so. 

This shutdown has been going on for a few weeks, but the garbage complaints started the day after the shutdown began on December 22nd. The national parks are generally pretty quiet this time of year - at least for families who might be leaving behind some trash.  So my question is: who ran into the national parks the week of Christmas and started leaving behind Reese's wrappers and water bottles? 

And I am suuuuuure people would prefer barricades. ?

c5b5c04486bb4e12e33f976e2e00096aa7d3b58f

• Haha (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Wow, that didnt last long...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/09/trump-calls-meeting-with-chuck-schumer-and-nancy-pelosi-a-total-waste-of-time-after-he-storms-out.html

President Donald Trump on Wednesday stormed out of a meeting with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer over an ongoing partial government shutdown, calling it "a total waste of time."

"I asked what is going to happen in 30 days if I quickly open things up, are you going to approve Border Security which includes a Wall or Steel Barrier? Nancy said, NO," Trump explained in a tweet as Pelosi and Schumer described the walk-out to reporters.

"I said bye-bye, nothing else works!" Trump added.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I understand how sales tax works, its not a hard concept. I am arguing that there is no way in hell a national sales tax would raise anything near what our current progressive tax system currently raises. If someone makes a million dollars a year, under the current system even if you want to be generous with deductions they probably still pay 200-250k in taxes not including payroll taxes. Under a national sales tax that person making 1,000,000 a year would have to spend all 1,000,000 on taxable reported goods to contribute 250k in taxes. They would have to spend 800k on taxable reported goods to pay 200k in taxes. Almost any high earner gets a really good tax break via a national sales tax. 

Are you arguing that a national sales tax would rake in enough money to replace the current income tax, capital gains taxes, payroll taxes, and smaller assorted taxes that currently take in 3.4 trillion dollars? My argument is it wouldn't. Now your argument could be that you would rather just do the sales tax and make due with the money it produces but that would then require deep deep cuts to all aspects of government. 

I'm not making a case for either tax regime.  I'm just saying you don't know how the tax system works.  It works for the rich. The rest of us are hosed.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Here's the Fair Tax Plan:

http://www.fairtaxplan.org/faq.php

Frequently Answered Questions

Click on the questions below to view the answers for a particular subject area. If you don't find the answers to your questions in our FAQ's, check the menu under Research at fairtax.org Still can't find the answer to your FairTax question? Please consult the FairTax State Volunteer Directory to contact a FairTax community coordinator near you, or call 1-800-FairTax for further assistance.

1. What is taxed?
  2. Exactly what taxes are abolished?
  3. How does the rebate work?
  4. Why is the Fair Tax better than our current system?
  5. How is the Social Security system affected?
  6. How does the Fair Tax affect Social Security reform?
  7. How is the tax collected?
  8. Is the Fair Tax fair?
  9. How does the Fair Tax protect low-income families and individuals and retirees on fixed incomes?
  10. What about senior citizens and retired people?
  11. Are Seniors taxed twice on savings, once when they saved it, and now again when the spend it?
  12. How much do prices for goods and services go down under the FairTax?
  13. Is the 23% inclusive Fair Tax rate higher or lower when compared to the income taxes people pay today?
  14. Does the Fair Tax rate need to be much higher to be revenue neutral?
  15. Should the government tax medicine and health care?
  16. Should the government tax services?
  17. How does the Fair Tax affect income tax preparers, accountants, and many government employees?
  18. What about the home mortgage deduction?
  19. Why not just exempt food and medicine from the tax? Wouldn’t that be fair and simple?
  20. What will happen to charitable giving?
  21. Will corporations get a windfall with the abolition of the corporate tax?
  22. Does the Fair Tax burden the retail industry?
  23. How are state tax systems affected, and can states adequately collect a federal sales tax?
  24. How will the plan affect economic growth?
  25. What economic changes come at the retail level with the FairTax?
  26. What happens to interest rates?
  27. What happens to the stock market, mutual funds, and retirement funds?
  28. What happens to tax-free bonds?
  29. How does this affect U.S. competitiveness in foreign trade?
  30. What about border issues?
  31. Does the Fair Tax improve compliance and reduce evasion when compared to the current income tax?
  32. Can the Fair Tax really be passed into law?
  33. What other significant economies use such a tax plan?
  34. What about the flat tax? Would it be better and easier to pass?
  35. Can Congress just simply raise the rate once the Fair Tax is passed into law?
  36. Could we end up with both the Fair Tax and an income tax?
  37. Is the Fair Tax just another conservative tax scheme? Or just another liberal tax scheme?
  38. What assumptions have been made about government spending?
  39. How does the Fair Tax affect government spending?
  40. Why is it necessary to have a constitutional amendment?
  41. How does the income tax affect our economy?
  42. How will this plan affect compliance costs?
  43. What about value-added taxes (VATs), like they have in Europe and Canada? Are they not consumption taxes?
  44. What will we experience in the transition from the income tax to the FairTax?
  45. Can you summarize House Bill HR 25/S1493 - "The Fair Tax Act"?
  46. Who are the Americans for Fair Taxation (AFFT)- FairTax.org?
  47. Is consumption a reliable source of revenue?
  48. I know the Fair Tax rate is 23 percent when compared to current income taxes. What will the rate of the sales tax be at the retail counter?
  49. Is the Fair Tax progressive? Do the rich pay more and the poor pay less as a percentage of their spending?
  50. Is it fair for rich people to get the exact same Fair Tax rebate from the federal government as the poorest person in America?

Prepared by members of the PA Chapter of AFFT - www.pafairtax.org
Site developed and hosted by

Developed and hosted by HGNX Internet Solutions

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Compromise idea: a giant wall made of solar panels and windmills.  Use the electricity generated to (a) electrify the wall (b) allow private landowners to sell the excess electricity generated on their land to a government run utilitity and (c) permit the utilitity to sell the excess electricity to the Mexicans -- who will therefore pay for the wall.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This shut down is going to last a very long time.

Trump caved to the right wing pundits, and if he gives up the wall they'll bury him and his base will jump ship.

On the flip side, Pelosi and Schumer know they cannot under any circumstances allow Trump to deliver his #1 campaign promise, even if Mexico isn't paying for it.

Both sides have backed themselves into a corner, and whoever "blinks" will likely lose the election in 22 months.

53 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

This shut down is going to last a very long time.

Trump caved to the right wing pundits, and if he gives up the wall they'll bury him and his base will jump ship.

On the flip side, Pelosi and Schumer know they cannot under any circumstances allow Trump to deliver his #1 campaign promise, even if Mexico isn't paying for it.

Both sides have backed themselves into a corner, and whoever "blinks" will likely lose the election in 22 months.

So in conclusion, Trump is caving to the right wing pundits by trying to deliver his #1 campaign promise.

Got it.

I swear, some of you should learn to use the draft folder for your thoughts.

• Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Oh for sure I would support tougher enforcement of the current tax laws. Republicans have been cutting the IRA and attacking it so that it can't do it's proper function. But it seems like you are saying that would be unfair, as the system you say is unfair, so better enforcement would be even more unfair. Right? 

My biggest problem is the numbers. Can you explain why you think we will get the same revenue from a sales tax as you do from the current system? Why should I believe this won't increase taxes on middle classes and be a big cut for the wealthy? That is the fundamental question right there. Why you say you want a fairer system, what does that mean? Fairer for who? 

And the black market thing wouldn't apply to everything, but with apps, online shopping etc., it would be easier to skirt the law and buy cheap mailed goods. As would corruption at the cash register. My point that businesses my be negatively affected also applies and would want to know more about it. Would a small business have to pay more than now? 

I see that 3rdnlng posted some links explaining the program.  (Thanks 3rdnlng) 

This idea has been around a while.  It's not some hair brained scheme not thought out.   I'm not even going to try to explain how it pencils out, but here are the links to a couple of documents that break it down in detail.  Should make for some good bedtime reading.

https://fairtax-structure-psyclone.netdna-ssl.com/client_assets/fairtaxorg/media/attachments/56c4/af23/6970/2d7c/197c/0000/56c4af2369702d7c197c0000.pdf?1455730467

https://fairtax-structure-psyclone.netdna-ssl.com/client_assets/fairtaxorg/media/attachments/56c4/aefe/6970/2d06/a71d/0000/56c4aefe69702d06a71d0000.pdf?1455730430

It's been studied and these people say it pencils out and have a lot of data to back it up.  Check it out. If you still think it won't work, let us know why not.

Edited by reddogblitz

15 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Well, if the shutdown continues, we can turn off the water in the Whitehouse :D

https://wamu.org/story/19/01/08/the-feds-didnt-pay-their-5-million-water-bill-can-d-c-shut-off-water-to-the-white-house/

Taken care of already.

18-trump-bottled-water.w600.h315.2x.jpg

14 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Untill polls show more people blame Democrats for the shutdown than Trump they have no reason to compromise.

13 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

"attacks" :lol:

Blown opportunity to quell federal workers fears who live paycheck to paycheck.  It was funny though.  I'm guessing there will be many gofundme pages on both sides.

4 hours ago, jrober38 said:

It points to factions of both parties having a fervor portion of their base that demands zero compromise with the other side and they elect politicians to do just that.  You saw it with the Repubicans in '11 and the Democrats in '17.

3 hours ago, LABillzFan said:

So in conclusion, Trump is caving to the right wing pundits by trying to deliver his #1 campaign promise.

Got it.

I swear, some of you should learn to use the draft folder for your thoughts.

I don't know why he waited until Democrats took over the House.  It would be easier to peel away Democratic Senators if they knew the GOP controlled House would approve whatever Trump wanted.  Especially all the Democratic Senators up for reelection in Trump won states.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Taken care of already.

Untill polls show more people blame Democrats for the shutdown than Trump they have no reason to compromise.

Blown opportunity to quell federal workers fears who live paycheck to paycheck.  It was funny though.  I'm guessing there will be many gofundme pages on both sides.

It points to factions of both parties having a fervor portion of their base that demands zero compromise with the other side and they elect politicians to do just that.  You saw it with the Repubicans in '11 and the Democrats in '17.

I don't know why he waited until Democrats took over the House.  It would be easier to peel away Democratic Senators if they knew the GOP controlled House would approve whatever Trump wanted.  Especially all the Democratic Senators up for reelection in Trump won states.

Because swamp Republicans opposed him as well. Many of them paid for it with their jobs.

4 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I see that 3rdnlng posted some links explaining the program.  (Thanks 3rdnlng) 

This idea has been around a while.  It's not some hair brained scheme not thought out.   I'm not even going to try to explain how it pencils out, but here are the links to a couple of documents that break it down in detail.  Should make for some good bedtime reading.

https://fairtax-structure-psyclone.netdna-ssl.com/client_assets/fairtaxorg/media/attachments/56c4/af23/6970/2d7c/197c/0000/56c4af2369702d7c197c0000.pdf?1455730467

https://fairtax-structure-psyclone.netdna-ssl.com/client_assets/fairtaxorg/media/attachments/56c4/aefe/6970/2d06/a71d/0000/56c4aefe69702d06a71d0000.pdf?1455730430

It's been studied and these people say it pencils out and have a lot of data to back it up.  Check it out. If you still think it won't work, let us know why not.

No thanks. And if third thing is for it, it's probably pretty stupid. 

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Taken care of already.

Who believes the lefts polls, didn't every poll out there say Hillary was a slam dunk to win?

You know...passing out candy, and then literally going "Bye Bye" because Pelosi didn't immediately giving what he wants...

I honestly could not have made a bigger case for Lil' Trump

EUmah8ZoW8rpv98XrffI1BDZszVm6s2Q730cHzuI

Awww...he's trying to waste billions in spending and give white nationalists hardons….

20 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

You know...passing out candy, and then literally going "Bye Bye" because Pelosi didn't immediately giving what he wants...

I honestly could not have made a bigger case for Lil' Trump

EUmah8ZoW8rpv98XrffI1BDZszVm6s2Q730cHzuI

Awww...he's trying to waste billions in spending and give white nationalists hardons….

So, he should just give Nancy what she wants because you are a victim of #metoo by the #orangemanbad because clearly you're so butthurt he invaded your safe space.

• Like (+1) 1