Any Buyer's Remorse From Teams That Drafted QB in Round 1?

Flip Johnson

Who, if any, of the five teams who drafted rookie QBs in the first round are experiencing some buyer's remorse and/or paranoia that they might have messed up?

I'm granting that none of the rookie QBs are finished products or lost causes and that they could all benefit from more weapons, better offensive infrastructure, etc.

I think the consensus right now would be:

1. I think Browns fans feel mostly great about Mayfield and are just excited about the 2019 coaching staff and how Mayfield could continue to develop. 

2. Jets fans feel semi-optimistic about Sam Darnold, but are more than a little concerned with his penchant to turn the ball over along with the possibility that maybe they should have taken Josh Allen instead.

3. Bills fans have a touch of fear from the past twenty years, but in general, feel really optimistic that JA is a budding superstar.

4. Arizona fans are hoping for weapons, coaching, etc., but have to be wondering if they really messed up on the Rosen pick. Fear level should be high here as he just doesn't seem to have the physicality or the playmaking ability anywhere near the other four QBs.

5. Don't know how Baltimore fans couldn't feel great about Lamar Jackson. Sustainability is a long term question but he has given them a spark and an identity.

Side note: I am THRILLED the Pats did not draft Jackson. 

Additional note: The teams that put off the QB search like the Pats or the teams that middled it with later round picks (Giants with Lauletta, Steelers with Rudolph, Jaguars with Tanner Lee) have a lot to think about, because those look like wasted picks at this point, and there search for the future has not progressed.

Edited by Flip Johnson
  • Like (+1) 2

Allen certainly has shown flashes of talent, but I am wondering a bit about Edmunds.  Gave up a valuable pick to move up to take him, and it seems players drafted after him are having outstanding rookie seasons (e.g., Vander Esch, Evans, and Ridley).  I know he is very young, so hopefully he will continue to develop, but I am not sure he is a true MLB.

• Haha (+1) 1

Cleveland fans are pumped and I would be too.

I think the other 4 QB’s have shown enough for each fan base to feel optimistic.

Rosen, Allen, and Darnold, are all on very poor offenses with limited talent around them.  It’s hard to get an evaluation after year 1, but I think they’ve done well so far.

Jackson has a little bit offense and better talent around him.  While he didn’t put up huge passing numbers, I think he did decent enough.  I would agree that running him 26 times is not sustainable and like Allen, he will need to show that he can beat teams with his arm to be a great QB.  

I think perhaps, the most encouraging out of the 4 is Allen.  Not because he looked the best, but because already we are seeing him elevate the bad talent around him.  We’ve also seen occasional flashes.  

Funny but for a “parody of a QB” (by Football Outsiders) he’s really not doing too bad and doing much better than fan boys turned self-appointed “Draft scouts” like Johnny Ledyard and Joey Marino predicted.  Man F those guys

• Like (+1) 6

I would suggest Baker Mayfield has done enough to separate himself from all the other big names.  He's in the "he's going to be fine" camp.

The rest have had ups and downs and are in different situations.  Too early to comment definitively on any of them.

This time next year this conversation will be a lot more interesting and informed.

• Like (+1) 1

I think Mayfield is the best of the class at this point and it will be on their front office to maximize his talents with a good coaching staff. He has a good supporting cast thanks to all those low finishes the Browns have had. Darnold will be a good one as well, but the same will hold true for him depending on what the Jets do in the off season. Rosen is on a bad team right now, worse than the Bills or Jets and while I doubt Wilks goes one and done, if things don't get better next year, they may also be shaking things up next year

Edmunds is a boy in a man's body. He's playing a difficult position at 20 years of age. It also wouldn't surprise me if he's hitting the rookie wall as well. He should be much better next year with a full year of film study and NFL strength and conditioning. I do like what I've seen from Allen, but am also realistic. He does seem to have more between the ears than JP or EJ which hopefully means he can develop and be coached out of bad habits. Now to be fair, Trent Edwards had more brain power than those other two guys and washed out. But I'd like to think Allen has more mental toughness than Trent. Trent had potential, bit the hits and the Ints got in his head. We need to remember where Allen came from also, Wyoming is not a big time school program compared to the other guys.  The fact that he's gotten this far has made me take more notice.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Cleveland fans are pumped and I would be too.

I think the other 4 QB’s have shown enough for each fan base to feel optimistic.

Rosen, Allen, and Darnold, are all on very poor offenses with limited talent around them.  It’s hard to get an evaluation after year 1, but I think they’ve done well so far.

Jackson has a little bit offense and better talent around him.  While he didn’t put up huge passing numbers, I think he did decent enough.  I would agree that running him 26 times is not sustainable and like Allen, he will need to show that he can beat teams with his arm to be a great QB.  

I think perhaps, the most encouraging out of the 4 is Allen.  Not because he looked the best, but because already we are seeing him elevate the bad talent around him.  We’ve also seen occasional flashes.  

Funny but for a “parody of a QB” (by Football Outsiders) he’s really not doing too bad and doing much better than fan boys turned self-appointed “Draft scouts” like Johnny Ledyard and Joey Marino predicted.  Man F those guys

Mostly agree with your assessment, except Rosen. I have been following him and I dont think he brings much upside. I was originally in the "wrong Josh" crowd come draft day... but wow I dont think Rosen looks good at all. Slow, has made some poor reads/decisions... his arm looks weaker than I thought. He can throw the ball far, but seems to lack zip on intermediate-deep throws.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Looks like if you picked any of them you'd be in a good position for a few years. 

I think its Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Jackson/Rosen in terms of ranking right and overall potential.

I agree with this as far as current ranking of the QB's... now Mayfield was who I was hoping we would get so I like seeing him succeed (Brown fans deserve it too)... but honestly I feel like Mayfield is kind of at his ceiling already. I watch him, he makes some gutsy throws/decisions - looks like a good QB and will be solid for a long time. Allen seems to be mostly improving every game, and obviously has the measurable's that COULD put him over the edge later. Obviously though no one really knows at the point and its all speculation

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For me Rosen actually looks the worst. He possibly has the best weapons and their offense just looks pathetic. Like ours the first half of the season lol only it’s been all year for them. 

Right now I think we’d kill to see allen with a washed up Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk with David Johnson 

• Like (+1) 6

32 minutes ago, Doc said:

Too soon to have buyer's remorse. 

It is too soon.  

But it is safe to say that several GMs (if not HCs) future career's are directly tied to their choices as such.  

As usual, season two for them will begin to round out the picture as you imply.  

I do think that both fans and media are placing way too much emphasis on Allen's rushing prowess and not nearly enough on his passing prowess in terms of premature evaluations.  If his running continues we may never find out how he develops as a passer.  That's not what you want your franchise QB to be doing and running does not make up for below-average throwing.  

No doubt Allen can make all the throws, but there have been a number of such QBs that have come thru the NFL with similar physical gifts in terms of arm-strength, and those that could not effectively read defenses and utilize all of their receiving options were not long for this league.  

Right now, as was before the Draft, the only QB of that batch that I would have wagered on is Mayfield.   I would  bet that Darnold, Rosen, and Jackson never become franchise QBs however.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think it's generally too early for any teams to be experiencing buyers remorse.  Fans are another issue entirely. For any team, fan opinions are going to be all over the map on any given issue, so yeah, I think there are fans of any of the five teams with new first round QBs who are ready to dump their shiny new QB.

It takes 2-3 years to judge a draft pick unless they flat out bomb, so I don't get why people need to know right now or speculate about rookies who aren't even finished with their rookie season.

The 4 QBs taken in the top 10 all went to bad teams.  Teams without a decent supporting cast. 

It's OK to wait before needing to determine who has "buyer's remorse."  Sometimes no thread is better than initiating a thread. 

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

For me Rosen actually looks the worst. He possibly has the best weapons and their offense just looks pathetic. Like ours the first half of the season lol only it’s been all year for them. 

Right now I think we’d kill to see allen with a washed up Fitzgerald and Christian Kirk with David Johnson 

No he doesn't. He has the worst OL that has been decimated by injury and no weapons besides David Johnson and Fitz. Chritian Kirk is out for the season BTW. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 2