Vikings Fire OC John DeFilippo

26CornerBlitz

I think Minnesota fans went to his house with torches and pitch-forks after last nights game.  They hated DeFilippo and were yelling for him to be fired.   I really don't think he can make guys run better, block better, pass better, etc...  But maybe his schemes sucked.  Who knows?!

26 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

2017: rushing yardage through 16 games    1,957

2018: rushing yardage through 13 games    1,110

That would be an average of:

2017: 122 yds per game at 31 attempts per game

2018:   85 yds per game at 21 attempts per game

If my math is right.

They are not going to get 847 yds in the next 3-4 games at the rate they run the ball this year.

ESPN stats

2017: 527 pass attempts all season  or almost 33 pass attempts per game

2018:  524 pass attempts so far w 4 games left or 40 attempts per game

2017:   501 rush attempts. Only Jax had more rushing attempts last year.

2018:  274 rush attempts so far. The only team with less rushing attempts this year is Atl.

They have totally changed their philosophy from run heavy to pass heavy. 

Not sure if you agree or were giving stats to counter.

Edited by Dopey

This offseason the Vikings were guilty of something the Bills, to a lesser extent, have been doing for years: Taking a mediocre QB drafted in one of the mid to late rounds and handing him the keys to the franchise & overpaying him.  When Cousins became a free agent there were Bills & Jets fans who were each begging their team to bring him in.  Fortunately for both teams management (or in the Jets case possibly the luck of him signing elsewhere) decided to do the right thing and bring in a highly touted rookie to build around.  We've tried what Minnesota did,  giving big money (albeit after an initial cheaper contract) to mediocre QBs like Taylor, Fitzpatrick as well as the ridiculous Rob Johnson trade & big $ signing as well as taking the option on Bledsoe when they could have dumped him sooner rather than later and it cost them big dead cap $.   

Minnesota dumped all their QBs from last year to bring Cousins in.  They might have been better off just re-signing Bridgewater to a similar deal that the Jets gave him prior to his trade to NO and/or paying less for Keenum to return with a deal similar to his Denver contract.  

23 minutes ago, Dopey said:

That would be an average of:

2017: 122 yds per game at 31 attempts per game

2018:   85 yds per game at 21 attempts per game

If my math is right.

They are not going to get 847 yds in the next 3-4 games at the rate they run the ball this year.

ESPN stats

2017: 527 pass attempts all season  or almost 33 pass attempts per game

2018:  524 pass attempts so far w 4 games left or 40 attempts per game

2017:   501 rush attempts. Only Jax had more rushing attempts last year.

2018:  274 rush attempts so far. The only team with less rushing attempts this year is Atl.

They have totally changed their philosophy from run heavy to pass heavy. 

Not sure if you agree or were giving stats to counter.

....CERTAINLY agree....great job!....:thumbsup:....clearly illustrates a philosophical change as I think their RB personnel is essentially the same (not sure about injuries though).....

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, blacklabel said:

So much for those young, innovative offensive minds, haha. I think Frank Reich probably had more to do with Wentz' monster season in 2017 given how he's completely revitalized Andrew Luck's career right now. 

Looking at the Vikings scores this season, it seems that when the offense is clicking and putting up points, the defense isn't clicking and they're giving up more points than their offense is scoring. And then if their defense is mostly getting the job done, the offense is non-existent.  

Kirk Cousins is a bit overrated, IMO. He holds the ball too long, takes a lot of sacks and fumbles way too much. Over the past few seasons he's averaged 10 or 11 fumbles per season. And he can be really inconsistent. He'll catch the hot hand and complete something like 10 of his last 12 passes and then he'll follow that up by completing 1 of his last 9 or something.

Cousins is vastly overrated.  With the offensive weapons he has, that offense should be scoring 30 points a game. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s the OL. Can’t run the ball. Can’t protect the QB. But the offense isn’t really awful. They’ve lost some close games. 

The OL is apparently bad.  But Cousins has underwhelmed given the fantastic WR duo and TE he has.  Perhaps the OL makes running impossible, but I'd be upset as a Vikings fan to have so much money tied up in Cousins.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s the OL. Can’t run the ball. Can’t protect the QB. But the offense isn’t really awful. They’ve lost some close games. 

True. The oline killed them this season

To be honest I'm a little sour about drafting both cousins and cook in fantasy this year and does effect my opinion on this ha

53 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

This offseason the Vikings were guilty of something the Bills, to a lesser extent, have been doing for years: Taking a mediocre QB drafted in one of the mid to late rounds and handing him the keys to the franchise & overpaying him.  When Cousins became a free agent there were Bills & Jets fans who were each begging their team to bring him in.  Fortunately for both teams management (or in the Jets case possibly the luck of him signing elsewhere) decided to do the right thing and bring in a highly touted rookie to build around.  We've tried what Minnesota did,  giving big money (albeit after an initial cheaper contract) to mediocre QBs like Taylor, Fitzpatrick as well as the ridiculous Rob Johnson trade & big $ signing as well as taking the option on Bledsoe when they could have dumped him sooner rather than later and it cost them big dead cap $.   

Minnesota dumped all their QBs from last year to bring Cousins in.  They might have been better off just re-signing Bridgewater to a similar deal that the Jets gave him prior to his trade to NO and/or paying less for Keenum to return with a deal similar to his Denver contract.  

Sometimes it is the move you dont make or cant make that ends up being the right one

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

So much for those young, innovative offensive minds, haha. I think Frank Reich probably had more to do with Wentz' monster season in 2017 given how he's completely revitalized Andrew Luck's career right now. 

Looking at the Vikings scores this season, it seems that when the offense is clicking and putting up points, the defense isn't clicking and they're giving up more points than their offense is scoring. And then if their defense is mostly getting the job done, the offense is non-existent. 

Kirk Cousins is a bit overrated, IMO. He holds the ball too long, takes a lot of sacks and fumbles way too much. Over the past few seasons he's averaged 10 or 11 fumbles per season. And he can be really inconsistent. He'll catch the hot hand and complete something like 10 of his last 12 passes and then he'll follow that up by completing 1 of his last 9 or something.

I don't think it's necessarily a big setback for DeFilippo........he's well regarded.    

Sean Payton was basically fired as Giants OC by Jim Fassel during the 2002 season and he's done alright.    

31 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Cousins is vastly overrated.  With the offensive weapons he has, that offense should be scoring 30 points a game. 

The OL is apparently bad.  But Cousins has underwhelmed given the fantastic WR duo and TE he has.  Perhaps the OL makes running impossible, but I'd be upset as a Vikings fan to have so much money tied up in Cousins.  

Zimmer's complaint is that the Vikings did not run the ball enough.  Maybe the Vikings are running into the same issue that Buffalo has.  The running game apart from Josh Allen is completely ineffective.  If you try to run all the time and can't, it leads to lots of three and outs.  It's tough to complete a pass on 3rd and long if you run on first and second downs and can't gain any yards.  I'm sympathetic toward DiFilllipo if that's what he's dealing with.  At least Buffalo's QB can run.  Cousins would get himself killed if he ran like Allen is doing.