Vikings Fire OC John DeFilippo

26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Curious...why?  He just failed with Cousins, a guy who has been productive QB in the NFL and he had a loaded stable of offensive weapons in Diggs, Thielen, Rudolph and solid RB's.  

So why is this guy a guru we need to get in?  

What has Dave Culley ever done?  Outside of coaches WR’s?

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Reich got canned from the OC job in San Diego(for poor performance, with a high profile QB at his disposal) and after spending 2 years with a like-minded HC he got his own HC job.

I wouldn't presume DeFilippo won't get hired as a HC this offseason because there are plenty of conservative stiff HC's that will be walking the plank here over the next couple offseasons as the NFL starts to catch up to other sports leagues wrt analytics.   So he will probably get his shot.

I think a team who hires him would regret it. I just don't think he is ready. Because McVay and Nagy have worked does not mean every offensive coordinator will. 

...sounds like their interim OC is a pretty decent guy who finally gets his shot after 12 years.....Vikes blocked Shurmur from hiring him for Giants.........

Courtney Cronin   ESPN Staff Writer 10:45 PM ET

Quarterbacks coach Kevin Stefanski will take over offensive coordinator duties on an interim basis during the Vikings' remaining games this season. Stefanski, whom the Vikings blocked from interviewing to be the offensive coordinator for the New York Giants last offseason, has been with the franchise since 2006.

Stefanski's level of familiarity with the team, having coached quarterbacks, running backs and tight ends in Minnesota, provided the benefit of familiarity as he embarks on calling plays for the first time in his professional career.

21 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I don't think it's necessarily a big setback for DeFilippo........he's well regarded.    

Sean Payton was basically fired as Giants OC by Jim Fassel during the 2002 season and he's done alright.    

And look what happened to Fassel. Am I wrong to think that firing Payton led to his blackballing in the NFL? That was the scuttlebutt back then ...

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

And look what happened to Fassel. Am I wrong to think that firing Payton led to his blackballing in the NFL? That was the scuttlebutt back then ...

,..but he did coach the Las Vegas Locomotives and got JP Losman his championship ring, right?............

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think a team who hires him would regret it. I just don't think he is ready. Because McVay and Nagy have worked does not mean every offensive coordinator will. 

Yeah there are going to be some duds hired as teams try to hire more aggressive coaches to compete in a more offensive minded NFL.

I personally don't know enough about DeFilippo to say........I just know that his being fired by Zimmer doesn't necessarily say anything other than that they were polar opposites on the coaching philosophy scale.

• Like (+1) 1

Scapegoat for sure.  Zimmer reminds me of Hue Jackson, in some ways, particularly with his ego, and I'm the boss mentality.  Whenever we see things like this, we always get the excuse train, oh, well he needs a better Oline, they need to run the ball more..  blah blah..  Of course any NFL QB will look like world beaters if only they had this going for them.  Look at the RAMS.. Stop their run game, and you can beat them..  Same with Vikings, in fact this applies to most NFL teams, bar maybe the Pats, and the Packers, where the QB can will their teams to victory all by themselves..

I dunno how to evaluate coaching anymore than I am credible in evaluating NFL talent, but, it seems to me that if you're good enough to have one of these jobs, I dare say that, outside of gross negligence, I rarely put the blame on the OC, or even Head coach.  The players gotta play, and scheme can sometimes play a part (Rex anyone) trying to fit a square into a circle, but I don't think this was the case with the Vikings.

Tim-

Edited by D521646

8 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Ok, tell me how he hasnt over the last 3 games 

Educate me

I think he's saying that he hopes the Bills don't eschew trying to acquire a (proven or what appears to be rookie) #1 WR just because Foster looks good.