Are the Lions sort of the Bills of the NFC?

Another Fan

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I think in recent history the Bills are a lot like the lions. 

Just terrible football. Lions have sprinkled a few playoff appearances but have mostly been bad. 

Vikings have been pretty successful the past 10 years or so, so I don't get the comparison 

My memory is longer than 10 years.

4 hours ago, wppete said:

Yea they are.

Yep, they are very similar franchises, most easily defined by having done nothing for a very long period of time.  Make up the numbers type franchises.  

We did have our Super Bowl run, however.

I’m always surprised when I see someone say they hate the Bills, which isn’t often but does happen.  It makes no sense, unless it’s a fan whose team was routinely beaten by Buffalo when we ruled the earth.

It’s how I’ll still feel about the Patriots in 20 years.

That’s the main difference.  The Lions don’t have that.  I can’t imagine anyone hating them.

16 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Totally assumed that was a nickname for Sam Bradford, not Matt Stafford

It would work better if there was a Matt Bradford at Detroit. It's more apt for Stafford

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

Detroit is one of the (few) NFL teams with a significantly worse history than us.

Despite being on of the league's oldest teams, they have never even MADE a Super Bowl.  Much less won it.

I would also group Cleveland, Arizona, the Los Angeles Chargers, Cincinnati, Atlanta and Tennessee/Houston as franchises who have accomplished far less than Buffalo... at least during the Super Bowl era.  The NY Jets have done almost nothing outside of Super Bowl III, but at least they won a championship.

5 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Detroit is one of the (few) NFL teams with a significantly worse history than us.

Despite being on of the league's oldest teams, they have never even MADE a Super Bowl.  Much less won it.

I would also group Cleveland, Arizona, the Los Angeles Chargers, Cincinnati, Atlanta and Tennessee/Houston as franchises who have accomplished far less than Buffalo... at least during the Super Bowl era.  The NY Jets have done almost nothing outside of Super Bowl III, but at least they won a championship.

Those are almost all expansion teams  :( 

I'd say we're most comparable to the Vikings. Had some good runs to the SB, never won it. And have had a beast in the division: Packers/Patriots with transcendent QBs foiling our past 2 decades. The Lions are to the Vikings what the Jets are to us.

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

11 hours ago, Another Fan said:

It seems like it.  Does their fan bases passion equal Buffalo though overall?

No, not even close.  Michigan is a college football state and the Lions are far below Michigan, Michigan State, and the Detroit Red Wings.  

I admittedly live in West Michigan, not Detroit area, but I have never been impressed with Lions fans.