I Never Thought I'd Miss Vlad Ducasse and Other Surprising Thoughts

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beane and McDermott said he's in the plans for 2019, but I suppose that's subject to change. 

I really hope not. His style requires a line that has jelled and get's him 2 or 3 yds before being touched(Zeke). We need someone who hits the hole, or at least where the hole is supposed to be. 1-2 yds is  better than a 2 yd loss because he didn't go straight at it. JMO.

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...yup...that would be a typical, in depth TBD analysis..............

Teller:  rookie    5th round pick     Games Played: 5      Games Started: 4

Ducasse:  9th season    2nd round pick     Games Played: 111    Games Started: 51

So being a 5th round rookie means he doesn't suck? Can they not both suck regardless of the figures you just listed that literally have nothing to do with their play?

are you showing me in depth analysis with draft position and experience in the NFL?

Edited by PetermanThrew5Picks

23 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Douglass was a horrible passer.

Yeah I agree...but as a runner he looks very similar to Allen and has the same type of speed...Douglass claimed to have thrown the ball 90 yards in practice routinely and said he thinks he could have thrown it 100 yards with the right conditions and a perfect throw

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

So being a 5th round rookie means he doesn't suck? Can they not both suck regardless of the figures you just listed that literally have nothing to do with their play?

..of course...you're right.....FIVE games surely is a CAREER by TBD definition...seriously?.....SMH......

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..of course...you're right.....FIVE games surely is a CAREER by TBD definition...seriously?.....SMH......

he just sucks.. right now. I don't know the future. He's not playing well.. right now. He's been bad in 5 games.  

JA's playing decent. Right now.

Teller has been inconsistent but he's not the issue - John Miller is.  His performance on Sunday - which made me so irate in my drunkenness that I deservedly incurred a warning point - was one of the worst performances by an offensive lineman I've ever seen.  He was the worst player on the field against the Jets.  I wouldn't be surprised if he gets deactivated this weekend.

Edited by Coach Tuesday
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Yeah I agree...but as a runner he looks very similar to Allen and has the same type of speed...Douglass claimed to have thrown the ball 90 yards in practice routinely and said he thinks he could have thrown it 100 yards with the right conditions and a perfect throw

He was a big athletic powerful guy who was essentially a RB playing QB.  I remember rooting for him to gain 1000 yards rushing with the Bears when he came up just short at 968.

I don't know much about OL play no.

OK....so Teller actually started quite strong.....then in the Miami game I thought he was not sustaining his blocks well and his assignments were getting in on the plays.

I have not focused on the last game to comment on his play but Teller was a guy I have high hopes for.

I do know that Center and the other Guard spot are absolutely horrible.......Dawkins is also underwhelming at LT and frankly belongs at LG

Mills is and has always been under average

• Thank you (+1) 1

I begrudgingly admit shady has obviously lost a step..... but does anyone remember a couple of years ago when gurley was coming off a productive season and had to deal with an offense with a rookie qb, and no weapons on the outside?

funny what changing those can do to free a guy up...… but ya. i'll still admit he may just be done.

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

OK....so Teller actually started quite strong.....then in the Miami game I thought he was not sustaining his blocks well and his assignments were getting in on the plays.

I have not focused on the last game to comment on his play but Teller was a guy I have high hopes for.

I do know that Center and the other Guard spot are absolutely horrible.......Dawkins is also underwhelming at LT and frankly belongs at LG

Mills is and has always been under average

Thanks. I have a bad habit of lumping the whole interior O Line unit as 1 performance. But it does sound like the C and Miller are the worst of that unit. It's just seemed like I'm constantly hearing Teller's name called for holding and what not. On big plays no less.

I think it's easier to get a guage of the tackles. I think Mills gets beat up here a lot but he is what he is. A stopgap vet.. that you shouldn't count on to shore up against the better pass rushers. The interior seems more codependent on each other's play correct?

Thanks. I have a bad habit of lumping the whole interior O Line unit as 1 performance. But it does sound like the C and Miller are the worst of that unit. It's just seemed like I'm constantly hearing Teller's name called for holding and what not. On big plays no less.

I think it's easier to get a guage of the tackles. The interior seems more codependent on each other's play correct?

Yes.....and you need your vet OL to play well to help out the rooks

Unfortunately......we lost our 2 most veteran guys before the season......and when Bodine going down is a big deal you know you have problems.

I have no idea what happened to Groy.....he actually looked servicable before this year which is kinda points to even bigger problems (coaching)

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

I have no idea what happened to Groy.....he actually looked servicable before this year which is kinda points to even bigger problems (coaching)

He did but I chalked it up to limited exposure to knowing him in the first place, and being surrounded by better parts. I liked the old O Line coach but I don't know how much to pin on the new guy with what he's working with vs what we had before

He did but I chalked it up to limited exposure to knowing him in the first place, and being surrounded by better parts. I liked the old O Line coach but I don't know how much to pin on the new guy with what he's working with vs what we had before

These guys cannot block for screens and are resulting to cut blocks (which they are not even doing correctly) because they actually cannot get downfield and block)  the OL is so bad nobody really even knows how bad.   They need OL that actually fit the blocking scheme they are trying to employ and the only guys that have are Dawkins and maybe Teller who can even do it.

3 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

1. Right now, Vlad Ducasse is a better LG than Wyatt Teller. I know Teller is a power lifter, is younger, has more upside ... but he's awfully slow, and the run game actually misses the modicum of pulling guard athleticism Ducasse brings. 

2. I had searched for a comparable to Josh Allen. Kaepernick came to mind, and there's still something there: rocket arm, athleticism at the far (good) end of the bell curve, flat-out running talent. But an astute poster here (we do have them!) reminded me that much of Kaep's running success came off of designed read options (remember when that was the trend?). So I thought again. Early Randall Cunningham? That seems like a pretty good one - much of his running success came off broken down plays and scrambles, just like Allen. But for those of a certain vintage ... my best comp is Bobby Douglass. (And no, this is not, if they have similar career arcs, a good thing).  Big kid, cannon arm (although a lefty), amazing running talent - almost went for 1,000 yards one year, almost all off of scrambles rather than designed plays. He never learned to read NFL defenses, so let's hope Allen is different. But right now (that is, about half a season into Allen's career!), that's my best comp. I loved watching him as a kid. He was a highlight waiting to happen on every snap ... https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DougBo00.htm

3. LeSean McCoy is done as an effective every down back. This is how it always happens. A sharp decline in productivity. It's always blamed on lack of something around him - the line, other weapons, the QB, whatever. And then there's the injuries that just don't seem to heal like they used to. And the denial: just make the line better (yes, and I did just mention that better LG play would help), just let him heal, just get some other weapons around him, he'll be back. But don't bank on it. I think he as 2-3 years left as a situational back, mostly on passing downs, but it's time to move on as far as looking for a back who can carry a heavy load.

1.  Ducasse has proven he is inadequate at LG as a starter.  Teller is not much better as of now.  He may improve into an adequate starter but

there is no way to know that this year.  Many people think ALL players improve given more time but that is not the case.  Once teams get "tape" on

players (especially OL) weaknesses are found and can be exploited.  I feel this has happened to Dawkins somewhat this year.

Miller is as bad or worse at RG.  BOTH LG and RG need upgrades in the off season.

2.  Allen is a work in progress and time will tell how good or bad he will be.  I see a lot of positives but I need to see him behind an at least serviceable OL.

3.  McCoy is getting old, that's just a fact.  Does he have another good year in him?  That is going to be a big question that Beane/McDermott have to

ask during the offseason.  I can see it going either way.

5 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Yep.  Some poster had him as a perennial pro bowler going into the season.  I got shouted down when I wanted one of the very good Centers that were available

in last years FA.

Coaching is such a hard thing for fans to judge.  We don't know what is said behind closed doors.  Maybe Castillo was screaming for better talent.

If that was true it's hard to blame him.  If on the other hand he claimed the talent was good enough and he could make a decent unit out of the players

he had then it's all on him.  Being there will be a huge turnover in players on the OL this coming year.....it's a good time to change OL coaches.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Yep.  Some poster had him as a perennial pro bowler going into the season.  I got shouted down when I wanted one of the very good Centers that were available

in last years FA.

Some posters think any given player is a perennial All-Pro at any given time if they wear a Bills jersey haha