I Never Thought I'd Miss Vlad Ducasse and Other Surprising Thoughts

1. Right now, Vlad Ducasse is a better LG than Wyatt Teller. I know Teller is a power lifter, is younger, has more upside ... but he's awfully slow, and the run game actually misses the modicum of pulling guard athleticism Ducasse brings. 

2. I had searched for a comparable to Josh Allen. Kaepernick came to mind, and there's still something there: rocket arm, athleticism at the far (good) end of the bell curve, flat-out running talent. But an astute poster here (we do have them!) reminded me that much of Kaep's running success came off of designed read options (remember when that was the trend?). So I thought again. Early Randall Cunningham? That seems like a pretty good one - much of his running success came off broken down plays and scrambles, just like Allen. But for those of a certain vintage ... my best comp is Bobby Douglass. (And no, this is not, if they have similar career arcs, a good thing).  Big kid, cannon arm (although a lefty), amazing running talent - almost went for 1,000 yards one year, almost all off of scrambles rather than designed plays. He never learned to read NFL defenses, so let's hope Allen is different. But right now (that is, about half a season into Allen's career!), that's my best comp. I loved watching him as a kid. He was a highlight waiting to happen on every snap ... https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DougBo00.htm

3. LeSean McCoy is done as an effective every down back. This is how it always happens. A sharp decline in productivity. It's always blamed on lack of something around him - the line, other weapons, the QB, whatever. And then there's the injuries that just don't seem to heal like they used to. And the denial: just make the line better (yes, and I did just mention that better LG play would help), just let him heal, just get some other weapons around him, he'll be back. But don't bank on it. I think he as 2-3 years left as a situational back, mostly on passing downs, but it's time to move on as far as looking for a back who can carry a heavy load.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

1. Right now, Vlad Ducasse is a better LG than Wyatt Teller. I know Teller is a power lifter, is younger, has more upside ... but he's awfully slow, and the run game actually misses the modicum of pulling guard athleticism Ducasse brings. 

2. I had searched for a comparable to Josh Allen. Kaepernick came to mind, and there's still something there: rocket arm, athleticism at the far (good) end of the bell curve, flat-out running talent. But an astute poster here (we do have them!) reminded me that much of Kaep's running success came off of designed read options (remember when that was the trend?). So I thought again. Early Randall Cunningham? That seems like a pretty good one - much of his running success came off broken down plays and scrambles, just like Allen. But for those of a certain vintage ... my best comp is Bobby Douglass. (And no, this is not, if they have similar career arcs, a good thing).  Big kid, cannon arm (although a lefty), amazing running talent - almost went for 1,000 yards one year, almost all off of scrambles rather than designed plays. He never learned to read NFL defenses, so let's hope Allen is different. But right now (that is, about half a season into Allen's career!), that's my best comp. I loved watching him as a kid. He was a highlight waiting to happen on every snap ... https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DougBo00.htm

3. LeSean McCoy is done as an effective every down back. This is how it always happens. A sharp decline in productivity. It's always blamed on lack of something around him - the line, other weapons, the QB, whatever. And then there's the injuries that just don't seem to heal like they used to. And the denial: just make the line better (yes, and I did just mention that better LG play would help), just let him heal, just get some other weapons around him, he'll be back. But don't bank on it. I think he as 2-3 years left as a situational back, mostly on passing downs, but it's time to move on as far as looking for a back who can carry a heavy load.

I was against trading him to Philly.  Now I wish we did.  Of coarse the same was said about AP.  So who knows.  On to next year.

1) I dont miss Vlad, yeah Teller is slow  and makes some rookie mental errors but time to move on from Vlad.

2) Allen and his running si, imo, way too early to tell if this is the type of QB he is going to be.  I want to see how New England schemes against him, he runs for 100 versus them then I might start getting convinced.  I think Cam Newton is a very good comp to Allen.

3) I agree on McCoy, sad but reality.

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

He is interesting as a player. I never seen Bobby Douglass but I would say he's like a lot of players I did see. Early Steve Young. Early Steve McNair. JA is like a combination of several players. I don't think there has ever been a player exactly like him. I do think his best comp is Kaepernick, but I think JA is stronger and while not faster I think JA is a better athlete. It will be interesting to see what he becomes and what they can do with him. If they're smart enough to do something with him.

Looking at him I would have like if the sat him for a year. Not because of his readiness but because they could have come out with a better team and a surprise QB and made a run like the 49ers did with Kaepernick. JA talent is that good that they could have made a SB run with him in a RPO offense. Now teams know what he is so even with better talent next year they'll have tape on him. In theory anyway.

Edited by CuddyDark

1 minute ago, CuddyDark said:

He is interesting as a player. I never seen Bobby Douglass but I would say he's like a lot of players I did see. Early Steve Young. Early Steve McNair. JA is like a combination of several players. I don't think there has ever been a player exactly like him. I do think his best comp is Kaepernick, but I think JA is stronger and while not faster I think JA is a better athlete. It will be interesting to see what he becomes and what they can do with him. If they're smart enough to do something with him.

Looking at him I would have like if the sat him for a year. Not because of his readiness but because they could have come out with a better team and a surprise QB and made a run like the 49ers did with Kaepernick. JA talent is that good that they could have made a SB run with him in a RPO offense. Now teams know what he is so even with better talent next year they'll have tape on him. In theory anyway.

I agree there has never been a player quite like JA.  FIrst one could make the argument that Josh Allen has the strongest arm ever, certainly based on velocity.  The Kaepernick comparison imo fails because he got his running yards on designed plays and read option, JA gets most of his yards on broken/extending plays.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I agree there has never been a player quite like JA.  FIrst one could make the argument that Josh Allen has the strongest arm ever, certainly based on velocity.  The Kaepernick comparison imo fails because he got his running yards on designed plays and read option, JA gets most of his yards on broken/extending plays.

Bills ran QB draw with him this season. They probably should run more options plays with him, it would help their run game.

There's zero reason to miss Vlad the Impostor.  He simply isn't good enough as the Bills move forward and they might as well give Teller every opportunity to gain experience at the LG position while seeing what he could be as a player.

Shady has been unable to get on track this season with the trifecta of poor blocking by the OL, him trying to do too much, and being nicked up.  We'll really see what he has left next season (assuming he's back) with a better line and/or scheme for the running game. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

You can't have it both ways... you address our obvious offensive line troubles, and yet it's Shady's fault for a sharp decline in productivity??? No, sorry, not buying. Our running game is broken as the article states, and we just need the blocking. Wood and Incognito obviously made a huge difference. We should have traded him earlier, because he won't be able to be nearly as effective in 2 years due to age once we fix our line. He deserves better at this point as the clock is ticking.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

You can't have it both ways... you address our obvious offensive line troubles, and yet it's Shady's fault for a sharp decline in productivity??? No, sorry, not buying. Our running game is broken as the article states, and we just need the blocking. Wood and Incognito obviously made a huge difference. We should have traded him earlier, because he won't be able to be nearly as effective in 2 years due to age once we fix our line. He deserves better at this point as the clock is ticking.

I agree. So many fans are forgetting that first Jets game when he was 100% healthy and he rushed for 113 yards, 2 TDs. The run game is broken as it went from #1 in the NFL in 2016 in yards per rush attempt to #14 last year under Castillo and now to #17. It would be 24th without Josh Allen running. 

If this Bills FO is worth a damn fixing the O line should be the priority as it will correct so many problems. The entire line needs a makeover along with a new line coach. If McD refuses to change assistants he deserves to go too. Regardless of the loss of talent that line is one of the very worst the Buffalo Bills have ever fielded and with starting two rookie QBs no less.

The only reason the Allen doesn't look more like Peterman is because of his athletic ability with his cannon arm, and mobility to escape the pocket when it breaks down. It doesn't help when you have an OC calling for a lot of mid to deep passes that require 5-7 step drop backs (those usually equal three to five seconds to complete) with a line that won't even allow a two seconds or under drop back at times. 

McD has the right idea to run the ball and play great defense, he just doesn't have the right offensive coaches.

I think Shady could quiet his critics next year, provided we bring in expected OL help in the offseason.

That being said, it's very frustrating that he can't get us the 2-3 yards Ivory gets us on similar runs.  Big difference between 2nd and 7 vs 2nd and 11.

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Never watched Douglass play but I watched a clip they made of him and it was pretty amazing...he kind of looks like Josh Allen even...

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Except....Shady's best rush game of the season, the first meeting with the Jets, featured Teller getting 100% of the snaps

Whereas some of our worst rushing games of the season featured Ducasse 100%

Just saying, I think there may be more to it than that.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

There's zero reason to miss Vlad the Impostor.  He simply isn't good enough as the Bills move forward and they might as well give Teller every opportunity to gain experience at the LG position while seeing what he could be as a player.

Shady has been unable to get on track this season with the trifecta of poor blocking by the OL, him trying to do too much, and being nicked up.  We'll really see what he has left next season (assuming he's back) with a better line and/or scheme for the running game. 

If I read it correctly this is the off-season to let him go. The cap hit isn't bad, so I don't think he's a Bill next year. I was all for the trade back to Philly, by the way. Maybe go after L. Bell?

Just now, Dopey said:

If I read it correctly this is the off-season to let him go. The cap hit isn't bad, so I don't think he's a Bill next year. I was all for the trade back to Philly, by the way. Maybe go after L. Bell?

Beane and McDermott said he's in the plans for 2019, but I suppose that's subject to change. 

2 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Teller suuuuuucks

...yup...that would be a typical, in depth TBD analysis..............

Teller:  rookie    5th round pick     Games Played: 5      Games Started: 4

Ducasse:  9th season    2nd round pick     Games Played: 111    Games Started: 51

• Like (+1) 3