We need an in the box safety

boyst

With the current NFL favoring the pass more and more and our run defense being the weaker link of an otherwise good defense I really see the biggest need for our defense to be an in the box safety to replace Alexander on passing downs playing in packages.  Lorax isn't fast enough anymore to make the coverage schemes we need, and Edmunds is not aware enough to play behind him at the position.  I do not know who in the NFL would fill this need for us anymore but it's hard to imagine a rookie we'd be able to snag in the later round, since it is a lower priority, being able to fill this need.  Safety is a tremendously tough position for a rookie to come in and succeed so perhaps a hybrid LB that can play similar to what George Wilson once did is ideal.

Of course, our biggest need is DL and pressure upon the QB but this position would be a tremendous addition to our defense.

I wonder if @thebandit27 or any other of these well versed guys have any ideas who could work for us.

edit: this is not to say we don't have sufficient quality in Poyer and Hyde - this is more to better design the package for success when playing nickel and dime having a 3rd in the box safety on the field.  we are not very diverse or adaptive on defense.

Edited by Boyst62

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Siran Neal?

is an option - reminds me of an A-aron Williams lacking a few traits that made Williams more successful than I believe Neal is possible of attaining.

The upside would be him fitting in this role since he was a linebacker in college and maybe he can grow but at 6' 206 lbs. he's a little light for this opportunity.

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

Kind of like an Alvin Dupree (Steelers)? That guy makes plays. Yes, I see your point. 

Steelers play a 34, in a 43 dupree could become this.  dude doesn't look his size but he's 6'4 270 running a run 4.6 40.

I think they are trying to do this with Raphael Bush. You could try to sign a guy like Deonte Buccanon, who is a free agent. Another idea, outside the box a bit, sign Landon Collins and move Micah Hyde to corner. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Safety is the least of our problems.  

A #2 CB, depth at LB, more pass rush, Four offensive lineman, 3 Receivers, 2 tight ends, 3 running backs, a franchise QB .... then safety. 

Agreed its a small problem but I think it's a very easy option to fill by finding a guy who can contribute and fill in more easily than trying to find a #2CB or depth at LB, or edge.

12 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

With the current NFL favoring the pass more and more and our run defense being the weaker link of an otherwise good defense I really see the biggest need for our defense to be an in the box safety to replace Alexander on passing downs playing in packages.  Lorax isn't fast enough anymore to make the coverage schemes we need, and Edmunds is not aware enough to play behind him at the position.  I do not know who in the NFL would fill this need for us anymore but it's hard to imagine a rookie we'd be able to snag in the later round, since it is a lower priority, being able to fill this need.  Safety is a tremendously tough position for a rookie to come in and succeed so perhaps a hybrid LB that can play similar to what George Wilson once did is ideal.

Of course, our biggest need is DL and pressure upon the QB but this position would be a tremendous addition to our defense.

I wonder if @thebandit27 or any other of these well versed guys have any ideas who could work for us.

edit: this is not to say we don't have sufficient quality in Poyer and Hyde - this is more to better design the package for success when playing nickel and dime having a 3rd in the box safety on the field.  we are not very diverse or adaptive on defense.

I am confused.  In our nickel package Zo plays on the DLine as an end or DT and rushes passer.  Bills nickel Scheme has Taron Johnson as nickel DB who subs for SAM.  Bush and Neal do as well.  the scheme also brings Poyert or Hyde down in box based on formation of offense.

Don't see this as a need.  Maybe a backup for Milano - low priority.