Updated 2019 NFL draft order after Week 14: Bills draft 6th!!

What many people seem to misunderstand is there is a huge difference between a fan rooting for losses and a team trying to lose.  We as fans can root for losses and better draft choices because it is not our jobs to try to win every game.  It is the team members and management who need to try to win every game.  If a fan wants a higher draft choice instead of a meaningless win, that's the  fan's right to do so.  If a team tanks, they are disrespecting the game.  Nobody who is rooting for a lose out wants the team to go in the tank.  If you can't tell the difference you are blurring the line between player and fan.  I know I'm not on the team and I have no direct connection whether the team wins or loses.  I can root as hard as I want for a win or loss and it means nothing to the actual result.

• Like (+1) 2

We won't beat NE so the best we'll do is 6-10 and will be in good enough position for a player we'll really like. Lots of people keep obsessing over a higher draft spot and I've said it quite a few times in these threads over the season, but I really don't think it's going to matter since this draft is DL heavy and we'll likely want to get OL. 

Edited by JimKellyTryouts

10 hours ago, Pete said:

It would be so Billsy to win the last 3, and drop from 6 draft slot to 17

7-9 seasons beget 7-9 seasons.  That is how you build decades of mediocrity

I disagree on a couple of points.  First, if the Bills were to win out, they would draft in the 10-13 range.  Second, New England somehow manages to ge a division leader every year despite drafting in th  26-32 slot.  Buffalo was mired in mediocrity not because they drafted in the middle of the round.  There were two reasons they were mediocre for so long.  One - they drafted lousy for years.  Hi round draft picks would stick for a couple years, then wash out or get traded because they didn't fit what Buffalo was doing.  Second, there has been a total lack of continuity.  New coaching staffs, new offensive and defensive schemes, and new GMs every few years, and the resulting high turnover in personnel does not allow for the development of a winning program.

Based on the draft value charts, the #6 pick is pretty valuable.  I would like to see us trade down to 15-20 and pick up another 2nd and 3rd .  This would give us 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.   I'd grab Kelvin Harmon, Cody Ford, Damien Harris, Kaden Smith, and Parris Campbell in those rounds.   

5 minutes ago, Spielman said:

Based on the draft value charts, the #6 pick is pretty valuable.  I would like to see us trade down to 15-20 and pick up another 2nd and 3rd .  This would give us 5 picks in the first 3 rounds.   I'd grab Kelvin Harmon, Cody Ford, Damien Harris, Kaden Smith, and Parris Campbell in those rounds.   

Last year we gave 12 53 55 to move up to 7.  Yes the 6 is uber valuable.  The 13th not so much. Every year there are elite players concentrated at top.  Sure great players are found every round.  But players like Sanquan are found at top of draft

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

I disagree on a couple of points.  First, if the Bills were to win out, they would draft in the 10-13 range.  Second, New England somehow manages to ge a division leader every year despite drafting in th  26-32 slot.  Buffalo was mired in mediocrity not because they drafted in the middle of the round.  There were two reasons they were mediocre for so long.  One - they drafted lousy for years.  Hi round draft picks would stick for a couple years, then wash out or get traded because they didn't fit what Buffalo was doing.  Second, there has been a total lack of continuity.  New coaching staffs, new offensive and defensive schemes, and new GMs every few years, and the resulting high turnover in personnel does not allow for the development of a winning program.

Record Finish (Regular / Post Season) Coach
2017 9-7-0 3rd -- AFC East 0-1 - Lost Wild Card Playoffs Sean McDermott Roster / Stats
2016 7-9-0 3rd -- AFC East -- Rex Ryan,
Anthony Lynn
Roster / Stats
2015 8-8-0 3rd -- AFC East -- Rex Ryan Roster / Stats
2014 9-7-0 2nd -- AFC East -- Doug Marrone Roster / Stats
2013 6-10-0 4th -- AFC East -- Doug Marrone Roster / Stats
2012 6-10-0 4th -- AFC East -- Chan Gailey Roster / Stats
2011 6-10-0 T3rd -- AFC East -- Chan Gailey Roster / Stats
2010 4-12-0 4th -- AFC East -- Chan Gailey Roster / Stats
2009 6-10-0 4th -- AFC East -- Dick Jauron,
Perry Fewell
Roster / Stats
2008 7-9-0 4th -- AFC East -- Dick Jauron Roster / Stats
2007 7-9-0 2nd -- AFC East -- Dick Jauron Roster / Stats
2006 7-9-0 3rd -- AFC East -- Dick Jauron Roster / Stats
2005 5-11-0 3rd -- AFC East -- Mike Mularkey Roster / Stats
2004 9-7-0 3rd -- AFC East -- Mike Mularkey Roster / Stats
2003 6-10-0 T3rd -- AFC East -- Gregg Williams Roster / Stats
2002 8-8-0 4th -- AFC East

and yes we have drafted horribly the past two decades.  But it's different if New England is coming drafting coming off Superbowl victory filling in holes.  We continually need a roster overhaul.Currently we need 3-4 new offensive line, a pass rusher, a CB, 1-2 WR, RB.  Winning out and 7-9 is a nice moral victory.  But myopic for the long term.  It's much easier to build for future with pick #6 than 13.  Its great to have options

we would of never drafted OJ if we went 7-9

14 hours ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

I don't know how we're gonna outsuck SF, Arizona, and the Raiders.  And let's be real, the Bills aren't playing to draft high.  McD tries to get as much out of his players as possible to see what he's built and what he needs to do to add to it.  Plus, we're gonna beat the Lions and Dolphins, so let's go ahead and get out of that mind set that we're gonna lose out.  It ain't happening.

Dolphins will need to play hard to the end as things look now so I see losses to them and NE as the injuries mount (Bodine and Milano).   Probably finish 5-11 and roughly the same position (slots 5-8) in the draft. 

22 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I think #6 should be Jeffery Simmons, Quinnen Williams or Ed Oliver. We need an elite front 7 guy. Pickup a C and G in FA and we'll be in a good spot to take one of these guys. Kyle could come back in 2019 and rotate behind them. Take like 3 OL RDS 2-5.

I think Simmons will drop simply because there is a video of him punching a woman. It was awhile ago, but it will all be brought to forefront again especially given teh Kareem Hunt stuff. 

1 hour ago, TigerJ said:

The Bills of 2000-2010 are not the same Bills as today.  I loved Ralph but he was part of the problem.  We reached on too many 1st round picks and he should have nipped Donahue sooner.  Ralph still loved the game but he could not properly evaluate the direction of the team.

14 hours ago, Joeziehmer said:

Yeah, tell that to the kids crying after that blowout loss to the Bears. 

What kids?

They should just go into these games with the mindset that the game ends at the 7:30 mark of the 4th quarter and then roll over after that.

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

The Bills of 2000-2010 are not the same Bills as today.  I loved Ralph but he was part of the problem.  We reached on too many 1st round picks and he should have nipped Donahue sooner.  Ralph still loved the game but he could not properly evaluate the direction of the team.

Ralph’s daughter Linda died of cancer in the early 2000’s and they bonded over the Bills.  Linda Brogdan (Wilson) had been tired of losing. She put forward bringing in Polian, Levy, and acted as a scout who went in early and stayed well after even they left.  Up until her death she was still working scouting even with the diagnoses for that though can see why it was such a heavy weight for Ralph to carry.  

19 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

What kids?

They should just go into these games with the mindset that the game ends at the 7:30 mark of the 4th quarter and then roll over after that.

Should be in that clip a dad took his daughter to see the game.  

Edited by Joeziehmer

During the playoff drought, the Bills average finish was between 6-10/7-9, by which the Bills average draft position was between 8-13. That was not high enough to draft elite player, but it was bad enough the Bills wasted how many first round picks on DB's and RB's during that period. While no one wants to see the Bills purposely lose, strategically, it would be better for them to lose out, get the highest draft pick they can get (which hopefully will be a Top 5 pick) that is an elite player who can make an immediate impact on the team. The Bills have a lot of holes on this team, so they need all the help they can get. The Bills are not making the playoffs this year and there will be a lot of turnover, so they might as well build for the future.

Lose out!

I don't see San Fran winning with their remaining schedule, but I think we could get to #2 if we lose out, Arizona beats Atlanta, Atlanta beats Tampa, Oakland beats the Bengals, the Jags beat the Redskins and the Jets beat the Pats backups.

#2 is either Bosa or potentially trading Haskins (please come back) or Herbert for a bevy of draft picks.

1 hour ago, NewDayBills said:

Did not know that.

He's been very apologetic and took responsibility. I just wonder how much it will be re-hashed over and over. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXIkNKXyHW4

Sorry I don't know how to do those cool links where the video is embedded or whatever. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1