"Exit Interview: Buffalo Bills"

Ringer article.  Guess they do this for every team as they're eliminated from the playoffs, which unfortunately for us happened yesterday.

(on a side note, it's kinda crazy the "race to the top of the bottom" thing happening for the Wildcard.  It's very possible 8-8 is going to be the #6 seed this year)

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/12/10/18134974/buffalo-bills-exit-interview-josh-allen-sean-mcdermott

A year after the Bills’ surprise playoff run, the team was sent packing in Week 14. The defense looks strong, and Josh Allen can run, but how can Buffalo get better for 2019?

It’s that time of year, when some NFL teams have started looking toward next season. As each club is eliminated, The Ringer will examine what went right, what went wrong, and where the franchise could go from here. Up next is the Buffalo Bills, who will play out the string after Sunday’s 27-23 to the Jets.

What Went Right

...After allowing 78 points in the first two weeks of the season, the Bills have allowed just 21.1 per game since. A Week 3 humiliation of the Minnesota Vikingsestablished Allen as America’s hurdler-in-chief and showed that the Bills are not a laughing stock.

What Went Wrong

It took one 47-3 loss to Baltimore in Week 1 to remind America that last year’s heartwarming playoff run was one of the great football anomalies of our lifetime...

Free Agency

The Bills don’t have too many difficult decisions to make for 2019. Defensive tackle (and team soul) Kyle Williams is a free agent, but if he wants to play in 2019, the team would almost surely offer him another one-year deal...

Buffalo will have the third-most cap space in 2019, with more than $90 million, according to projections from Over the Cap, but the question is whom the team would bring in.

Draft Targets

Alabama left tackle Jonah Williams started for the Crimson Tide as a freshman and has a connection to offensive coordinator Brian Daboll, who used to have the same role under Nick Saban. If they opt for a playmaker instead, Arizona State’s N’Keal Harry and Ole Miss’ A.J. Brown might be the two most talented receivers in this year’s class.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

If it were up to me .... I'm going for the guy named Williams.... Can never have too many Williams'.

Can't have too many good LTs, either.

On the other hand, we really need receivers. Seriously.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Is the tackle from Alabama a top 10 talent?

I guess it's that point in the NFL season where I need to start bothering paying attention to college.

I don't think that he is. I don't think there is a surefire top ten offensive lineman this year. So I would avoid them...sign young veteran free agents on the line, Morse, Easton, Williams, Glowinski, Cann, Williams etc. all those names we keep talking about. The top players this year are defensive linemen. That's where the impact will be imo.

33 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I don't think that he is. I don't think there is a surefire top ten offensive lineman this year. So I would avoid them...sign young veteran free agents on the line, Morse, Easton, Williams, Glowinski, Cann, Williams etc. all those names we keep talking about. The top players this year are defensive linemen. That's where the impact will be imo.

No top 10 talent on offense?

Good grief, screw losing out then.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

No top 10 talent on offense?

Good grief, screw losing out then.

If Oregon QB Justin Herbert comes out, he will go high.

But almost all of the top prospects are on the defensive side of the ball.

One offensive lineman to keep an eye on and whom the Bills may try to target is OT Jawaan Taylor from Florida.

He's a monster but with good agility/athleticism for his size.  

I think a lot of folks have him pegged as the top OL in the draft.

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

If Oregon QB Justin Herbert comes out, he will go high.

But almost all of the top prospects are on the defensive side of the ball.

One offensive lineman to keep an eye on and whom the Bills may try to target is OT Jawaan Taylor from Florida.

He's a monster but with good agility/athleticism for his size.  

I think a lot of folks have him pegged as the top OL in the draft.

1st round OG, WR or TE talent?

We need to find a solid receiver in FA, like a Robert Woods (I know he's not available, but like him), and then go after a true #1 in the draft as I don't believe a true #1 will be available in FA.

Something similar has also to apply with the O-Line. Except we could do with a couple of starters there. We desperately need a better center. Bodine was the best we had, but he wasn't good enough. Right Tackle also. And a Guard. There's some talk about a decent Center becoming available in FA, his name escapes me, but we need to go get him. We should probably draft one also, tbh, maybe stick him in at guard for a couple of years, like we did with Wood.

The guy from the Panthers, at RT would be a good signing, if his knee is okay, as he's a proven commodity, rather than a cast off/marginal guy. Like Star in that respect. You know he can play and start.

I'm not sure about keeping Miller. I find it almost impossible to evaluate his play, due to being between a sub standard center, and a crap RT, talk about being between a rock and a hard place. I'm not convinced he's as big a problem as many others think, and he might be at least valuable depth.

At TE we need to find a vet who can block, and who is available weekly, a guy who can catch passes like TEs are supposed to do (FA again if possible), and draft a better prospect for once. It's all very well trying to develop guys, but they never seem to work out, and aren't talented enough to begin with.

McDermott seems very good at developing DBs, so he should use the development spots for them, and not mess about with positions where we have had no success.

There are other areas we need to improve in, but aside from expressing concerns at the RB group, which I like the blend of - but they can't seem to stay on the field these days - I'll leave it at that.