Bills need to learn how to close out games

Shaw66

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...we seem to have the same "killer/seal the deal" mentality as we did win the Dickey Jauron era............did NOT work then and won't work now........I hate turtles.....

THE PROCESS  is very similar to Dick Ball.  I don't expect that to change.

Edited by reddogblitz

13 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I think sometimes coach is just too conservative. Don't know if more talent will change that or not, so far it just seems that's the way he coaches.

as mentioned during the game by  " Arch " i think , Bills Defense wants to win with front four and not bring pressure. Play zone coverages. Pressure and confuse on the back side.

5 minutes ago, dneveu said:

They did a good job getting to the FG at the end there, but another first down and that FG is most likely the game - or at least overtime.

Depending on how hauschka was feeling too, maybe go for that 4th and 8 if he's dinged up from the cheap shot.

in hindsight for sure. that hurt the game.

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

THE PROCESS  is very similar to Dick Ball.  I don't expect that to change.

...thanks for re-affirming my fear that "The Cadaver" may have resurfaced........Dopey Dicky made a wake look like "New Years Eve Times Square"......hence the "7-9 repetitious rut"......

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...thanks for re-affirming my fear that "The Cadaver" may have resurfaced........Dopey Dicky made a wake look like "New Years Eve Times Square"......hence the "7-9 repetitious rut"......

You're welcome.  It's what I've been seeing for the past 30 games under Coach McDermott.  Thinking he's going to all of the sudden switch to the overly aggressive wide open offensive coach seems odd to me.  He is who he we thought he was.

Camping out on the 25 and settling for that last FG reminded me of Dick vs the Clowns at the Ralph which was followed by a Ryan Lindell miss (and a loss).

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I have one reaction to the Jets game:  the Bills have now lost two games in a row by failing to make plays to win the game.  Didn’t make the plays against the Dolphins, and didn’t make the plays against the Jets.

I can only speculate about it.  It’s some combination of player talent and coaching.  I’d guess mostly coaching.  McDermott talks a good game, but I’m not sure how good he is at getting his team ready for anything that could happen.  

Whatever the reason, this team needs to learn how to close out games.  McDermott and the players have to learn.  That’s what good teams do.  Or maybe not; maybe it’s just that you win some (Titans, Jags) and you lose some (Texans, Dolphins, Jets).   

The Bills are not that good of a team right now. It's only the second season under this regime and they are not finished with rebuilding this team. We just have to wait and see.

Let's see what happens during this upcoming off season. I personally feel better and more optimistic about the future of the Bills, than I have in recent years.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

In other words, bend but don't break.   Like Dick and Perry ran.

I think he does that. But is willing to have his guys play the ball as well.
 the trick of course is knowing when and where bringing pressures work. We have seen then get after it and have success.
we have also seen them get beat by it as well.

jets played a very physical game , and it showed.
They did the previous game as well. and Bills knew it was coming. I think they just plain got beat up on Sunday.
 Beat the heck of Allen, that's for sure ..

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

The Bills are not that good of a team right now. It's only the second season under this regime and they are not finished with rebuilding this team. We just have to wait and see.

Let's see what happens during this upcoming off season. I personally feel better and more optimistic about the future of the Bills, than I have in recent years.

I have  not totally given up on the Season for watching.  Some story lines worth watching. Josh Allen is the headliner of course !

Go Bills 

forgot to insert the word "not"

geesh

Edited by 3rdand12
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I think you're right about that.  I think one part of the Bills problems late in games is exactly what you say - inexperienced players.  Having a ten-year vet in the huddle calling plays is better than having Edmunds.  Edmunds isn't ready yet to model the right behavior and get others to follow him. And that isn't a knock on Edmunds.  Playersmfeed off of leadership, they gain self confidence seeing the confidence and intensity of their leaders.  

Thanks. Interesting comment. 

Do you know what 'do your job' means? I mean past the 'Patriot Way' bs because the majority of it is a bunch of crap. 'Do your job' is different...Belichick understands at a fundamental level that the way to field a team of overachievers, season in and season out (aside from the occasional Moss/Gronkowski/Jamie Collins ubertalent), is to prioritize players who take a measure of pride in their occupation. It's a difference maker the vast majority of the time. It extends beyond football. These catchwords like 'culture' and 'process' are all basically saying the same thing: make your job performance(you, as a player) the most important thing. Have pride in accomplishing your responsibilities. It isn't rah-rah type stuff...Belichick isn't a rah-rah coach at all. He looks for guys who treat football like a job they love. It's a veteran mindset....it's a hallmark of successful employers. 

• Like (+1) 1

First half the Bills started well, and got a decent lead.

Then our not very special teams happened.

All the momentum that had been built up in gaining the lead, was evaporated by horrid STs play.

What could have been a repeat from a few weeks ago, suddenly became a game again, due to STs incompetence.

I understand where you are coming from on this Shaw, but I don't think truly, this was a game that we should have found a way to win. What we should have done,was found the way not to lose it, and we didn't due to (largely) STs play.

Allen aside, with McCoy crocked (and not looking too great anyway this year), we simply don't have enough offensive talent, to think we can find ways to get past the winning line at the death of games.

There are one or two bright spots (Foster and to a lesser extent, McKenzie), but the talent isn't there to do enough consistently well, to presume we should be able to grab a win.

50 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I know, put the game away early and all that.   

Do you think Bill Belichick is saying to his team, "just post better early and we won't have to make a play on some gadgets the Dolphins run"?  

The fact is that every team is in close games every season. Good teams make plays to win thise games.  They make plays because they are prepared to make them.  They are prepared for clock management issues. They are prepared to increase their intensity.  They are prepared to adjust based on what they've seen through the game.  

Coaches TEACH end of game strategy and practice situations.  

The Bills give me the feeling that they don't yet have what it takes. Some of it is just talent, to be sure.  And some of it is you can't win every game.  But some of it is being ready, and they don't look ready to me. 

With all of these youngsters being promoted to the active roster over the past few weeks, I'm not sure they are prepared for closing out these close games either.  Some aren't even coming from the practice squad but from another team. Roster turnover on the OL alone is just crazy. 

Daboll is also scheming up some crazy stuff.  Many of the play calls are actually making Josh Allen his own safety valve.  Receivers are often running routes to one side of the field and drawing defenders that way purposefully so Allen has a big empty spot to run to. To me, it looks like the Bills are still trying to find an identity. It's no mistake that Allen is ripping off big runs. The plays are specifically designed that way. They have not been able to open up running lanes in other ways so these option plays and jet sweeps are how they are getting something going.  I think the coaches know the OL is a complete tire fire so they are just trying some things that are pretty creative actually. 

Hate to say it, but the process is still playing out.

I think the OL will be a major priority in the off season. In the mean time the ride is just real bumpy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buddo said:

First half the Bills started well, and got a decent lead.

Then our not very special teams happened.

All the momentum that had been built up in gaining the lead, was evaporated by horrid STs play.

What could have been a repeat from a few weeks ago, suddenly became a game again, due to STs incompetence.

I understand where you are coming from on this Shaw, but I don't think truly, this was a game that we should have found a way to win. What we should have done,was found the way not to lose it, and we didn't due to (largely) STs play.

Allen aside, with McCoy crocked (and not looking too great anyway this year), we simply don't have enough offensive talent, to think we can find ways to get past the winning line at the death of games.

There are one or two bright spots (Foster and to a lesser extent, McKenzie), but the talent isn't there to do enough consistently well, to presume we should be able to grab a win.

Special teams really did stink this one up. We need a competent punter, returner and gunner.  Also, blocking and tackling was horrible. Someone is asleep at the wheel.

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

We were able to do it last year.  Bucs, Raiders, last fish game, and others.  What happened?  Now we're back to finding new ways to lose.  I thought Coach McDermott got us past that which is why we made the playoffs last year.

I also think it's because they (McDermott and Beane) are not really trying to win this year.

Incognito and Wood  that's what happened and no money to get replacements

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I have one reaction to the Jets game:  the Bills have now lost two games in a row by failing to make plays to win the game.  Didn’t make the plays against the Dolphins, and didn’t make the plays against the Jets.

I can only speculate about it.  It’s some combination of player talent and coaching.  I’d guess mostly coaching.  McDermott talks a good game, but I’m not sure how good he is at getting his team ready for anything that could happen.  

Whatever the reason, this team needs to learn how to close out games.  McDermott and the players have to learn.  That’s what good teams do.  Or maybe not; maybe it’s just that you win some (Titans, Jags) and you lose some (Texans, Dolphins, Jets).   

Not knowing how to close out games is not the issue.  Having the talent to close out games is without question the bigger issue.  We cant close games out when guys drop passes, the OL doesnt block or creates penalties, or guys whiff on ST.  This is a talent issue.  Our coaches and Allen got us in position to win both these games, but players just didn't make the plays when needed.  

I am not worried about our ability to close games, I am actually quite encouraged with the level of fight I see in our guys at the end of games.  Allen damn near single handedly won us the Miami game despite the OL doing him no favors, and our receivers not giving him a lot of support.  He did enough to win, the guys around him did not.  Zay once again failed in a big moment to make a starting WR level play.  Clay dropped a game winner after terribly mismanaging the situation to make the catch harder than it needed to be (Still should have caught it anyway).  

I mean our rookie QB has over the last 3 games accounted for about 85% of the entire offensive production.  And he is doing this behind a bad OL and weak talent around him at the skill positions.  We wont have issues closing out games once the OL can actually block without getting a penalty and guys can actually get open on their routes and catch the ball.  

Although I agree that the Bills need talent, the talent they have seems to be good enough to play well for three quarters.   If the Jets and Dolphins had better talent, wouldn't they have led their entire games?   Did their talent get better in the fourth quarter?   I don't think so.  

Having said that, I agree very much that this is a young team, and it's a young HC.  They have a lot to learn.   So learning how to win is probably just one of those things that they need to learn.  

• Like (+1) 1

Dear Bills Management  

Please do not win the last 3 games. I know you want to, i know you can win at least two of them, but why?

It wont help us get to the playoffs. being 7-9 is just as useless as 4-12

This was supposed to be a building and training year, BUILD get that top 5 draft position so 2019 can be the start of a play off streak.

Let the Falcons, Raiders, Cardinals, 49s, Jags and Jets pass us in the standings...lets get those good picks. 

PLEASE do not think of pride, think of the future and lose those last 3 games. 

Thank you

• Haha (+1) 1