Bills need to learn how to close out games

Shaw66

The Bills mindset is a 3 point game from the get go (20-17 would be big time offense).  Thus as we saw Sunday once they get a lead they start playing tighter and tighter.  At 20-20, they play simply for the FG thinking that will seal the deal.  

It's an old worn out story.  

• Like (+1) 1

we lost the last two weeks on a number of bad individual plays and horrible special teams.

edmunds did have a shot at a hero tackle that would have cemented the win, but missed.

if we hit one of the two missed FGs, covered one or two of the big returns, or cought one or two of the big drops we would have won.  Allen clearly cost us with 3 turnovers, but he also literally produced all of our offense, so i think the rest of the team had more room to step up.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Yep.

Its been how the games have functioned under McDermott since he's arrived. 

Some fans are suggesting it's because of the lack of talent. I don't buy it at all. It's just the way McDermott is. Guy loves Jauron ball. 

John,

Our biggest lead was by 11 in the beginning of the 2nd quarter. The game became tight for most of the game.

At what point were they in a position to run the clock out? 

When we were winning?

im not saying run ru. Punt

Coaching definitely matters or coaches wouldn't get fired.   Edmunds and Alexander are perfect examples of experience vs athleticism.   

It's a coaches job to take players from a raw Edmunds to a very football smart Alexander.   New England has won a lot of games by having players prepared for every situation.    

1 hour ago, Comebackkid said:

Coaching definitely matters or coaches wouldn't get fired.   Edmunds and Alexander are perfect examples of experience vs athleticism.   

It's a coaches job to take players from a raw Edmunds to a very football smart Alexander.   New England has won a lot of games by having players prepared for every situation.    

I agree.

And for those who don't think knowing how to close out games is a "thing," do you think having a losing attitude is a "thing"?   A "winning attitude"?   

Attitude has a lot to do with performance.   

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think the Bills have the offensive firepower to close games.

I am not expecting the Bills defense to shut down every team but with a better Offensive line and some play makers it should all fall into place

Edited by HOUSE

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

The Bills mindset is a 3 point game from the get go (20-17 would be big time offense).  Thus as we saw Sunday once they get a lead they start playing tighter and tighter.  At 20-20, they play simply for the FG thinking that will seal the deal.  

It's an old worn out story.  

it is THE PROCESS.

We saw it a lot last year too and I suspect we'll see it in 2019 and 2020 If McDermott is still coach.

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

i can think of a few.

Houston game

Fish game (Clay dropping pass in EZ was text book choking)

Jets game (giving up final TD)

Yeah. This season they've lost some close games, but overall, I'd say his record is solid in one possession games. That is new for the Bills. Trust me, I'm no McDermott process slurper, but I'm used to the Bills losing almost all of them.

19 hours ago, Augie said:

And our plan is to keep getting younger, but keep learning. 

...pretty sure we call it "growing pains" right my friend?.....then again, we have a 19 yr old kid who recently turned 20, and has 13 games under his belt at the NFL level which is a "career" according to the "TBD Doctrine of Player Evaluation & Assessment", who whiffed.....I'd say "bust" is correct and time to cut our losses......go figure....

On 12/10/2018 at 4:29 PM, Shaw66 said:

As I understand it, every day Belichick ends practice with an end of game situation and practices what to do.  Sometimes offense, sometimes defense,  different score, different down, different time remaining.   At the end of the game the pressure is heightened, and if the players have seen something like it before they're better prepared.  

I don't think it's fan speak.  

You think Belichick isn't going to be teaching his team how to handle mthat last play better?  Of course he is.  He isnt going to just forget about it and expect that will never happen again. 

If true, it’s an excellent strategy. Being comfortable in those situations make the rest of the game easier to execute mentally.

Hell, teams should only practice end-of-game situations the entire practice!