Bills need to learn how to close out games

Shaw66

I have one reaction to the Jets game:  the Bills have now lost two games in a row by failing to make plays to win the game.  Didn’t make the plays against the Dolphins, and didn’t make the plays against the Jets.

I can only speculate about it.  It’s some combination of player talent and coaching.  I’d guess mostly coaching.  McDermott talks a good game, but I’m not sure how good he is at getting his team ready for anything that could happen.  

Whatever the reason, this team needs to learn how to close out games.  McDermott and the players have to learn.  That’s what good teams do.  Or maybe not; maybe it’s just that you win some (Titans, Jags) and you lose some (Texans, Dolphins, Jets).   

• Like (+1) 2

Yeah, I know, put the game away early and all that.   

Do you think Bill Belichick is saying to his team, "just post better early and we won't have to make a play on some gadgets the Dolphins run"?  

The fact is that every team is in close games every season. Good teams make plays to win thise games.  They make plays because they are prepared to make them.  They are prepared for clock management issues. They are prepared to increase their intensity.  They are prepared to adjust based on what they've seen through the game.  

Coaches TEACH end of game strategy and practice situations.  

The Bills give me the feeling that they don't yet have what it takes. Some of it is just talent, to be sure.  And some of it is you can't win every game.  But some of it is being ready, and they don't look ready to me. 

15 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I have one reaction to the Jets game:  the Bills have now lost two games in a row by failing to make plays to win the game.  Didn’t make the plays against the Dolphins, and didn’t make the plays against the Jets.

I can only speculate about it.  It’s some combination of player talent and coaching.  I’d guess mostly coaching.  McDermott talks a good game, but I’m not sure how good he is at getting his team ready for anything that could happen.  

Whatever the reason, this team needs to learn how to close out games.  McDermott and the players have to learn.  That’s what good teams do.  Or maybe not; maybe it’s just that you win some (Titans, Jags) and you lose some (Texans, Dolphins, Jets).   

Eh. This just seems like fan speak to me. Other than some minor time-wasting strategies, what exactly is there to "learn"? Are they not always trying to keep the ball and get first downs? Isn't the defense always trying to stop the other team (except when the tradeoff is to keep them from stopping the clock).

That phrasing probably means more in a game like soccer when playing with a lead. So many more ways to waste time and keep the other team from scoring than American football.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yeah, I know, put the game away early and all that.   

Do you think Bill Belichick is saying to his team, "just post better early and we won't have to make a play on some gadgets the Dolphins run"?  

The fact is that every team is in close games every season. Good teams make plays to win thise games.  They make plays because they are prepared to make them.  They are prepared for clock management issues. They are prepared to increase their intensity.  They are prepared to adjust based on what they've seen through the game.  

Coaches TEACH end of game strategy and practice situations.  

The Bills give me the feeling that they don't yet have what it takes. Some of it is just talent, to be sure.  And some of it is you can't win every game.  But some of it is being ready, and they don't look ready to me. 

I agree about the ‘readiness’ aspect but differ on where the issue lies wrt to intensity defining the game, which I think it absolutely did (esp late in the game/into last drive). Coaches definitely teach players strategy and situational awareness, hammer in focus and limiting mistakes and how to react in different spots...they do all that for sure. And you’re right that the better teams are often the ones who’s coaches have them better prepared for those moments.

But I also believe players (talking about pros now, not college athletes) don’t derive a ton of motivation or intensity or fight or whatever you want to call it from their coaches. I think they mostly get that from each other, vets in particular, and the fact that we have a lot of very young and very green talent (especially on offense) means they’re going to suffer at times when you need guys who’ve been through the battles and understand when raising the level is required. Edmunds doesn’t get it yet. Neither does Allen. They’re learning the hard way right now.

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

Eh. This just seems like fan speak to me. Other than some minor time-wasting strategies, what exactly is there to "learn"? Are they not always trying to keep the ball and get first downs? Isn't the defense always trying to stop the other team (except when the tradeoff is to keep them from stopping the clock).

That phrasing probably means more in a game like soccer when playing with a lead. So many more ways to waste time and keep the other team from scoring than American football.

As I understand it, every day Belichick ends practice with an end of game situation and practices what to do.  Sometimes offense, sometimes defense,  different score, different down, different time remaining.   At the end of the game the pressure is heightened, and if the players have seen something like it before they're better prepared.  

I don't think it's fan speak.  

You think Belichick isn't going to be teaching his team how to handle mthat last play better?  Of course he is.  He isnt going to just forget about it and expect that will never happen again. 

This also has to do with the simple fact that this team is young and they are having tryouts during the season. It’s going to be ugly and leave you scratching your head but it’s all for a reason.  

In my opinion, we need to be more learned and grasp that moving a ship this large in terms of talent and culture, is no easy task and there is no ‘quick fix’. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TroutDog said:

This also has to do with the simple fact that this team is young and they are having tryouts during the season. It’s going to be ugly and leave you scratching your head but it’s all for a reason.  

In my opinion, we need to be more learned and grasp that moving a ship this large in terms of talent and culture, is no easy task and there is no ‘quick fix’. 

Yup. I mean, there’s a reason they talk about process all the time. 

• Like (+1) 1

You need talent to win games.....

The bills do not have the talent on offense......and no amount of coaching is going to make players good.

case in point....we CANNOT RUN THE BALL

We led much of this game.....when you have a lead......coaches will want to run the ball to take time off the clock...unfortunately for us....our QB has most of our running yards...the guys who get paid millions just to tote the rock cannot do it because the OL is horrid.......hence we have to pass...hence we dont convert....hence we dont take any time off the clock........

It really is as simple as that.

• Like (+1) 1

We were able to do it last year.  Bucs, Raiders, last fish game, and others.  What happened?  Now we're back to finding new ways to lose.  I thought Coach McDermott got us past that which is why we made the playoffs last year.

I also think it's because they (McDermott and Beane) are not really trying to win this year.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I agree about the ‘readiness’ aspect but differ on where the issue lies wrt to intensity defining the game, which I think it absolutely did (esp late in the game/into last drive). Coaches definitely teach players strategy and situational awareness, hammer in focus and limiting mistakes and how to react in different spots...they do all that for sure. And you’re right that the better teams are often the ones who’s coaches have them better prepared for those moments.

But I also believe players (talking about pros now, not college athletes) don’t derive a ton of motivation or intensity or fight or whatever you want to call it from their coaches. I think they mostly get that from each other, vets in particular, and the fact that we have a lot of very young and very green talent (especially on offense) means they’re going to suffer at times when you need guys who’ve been through the battles and understand when raising the level is required. Edmunds doesn’t get it yet. Neither does Allen. They’re learning the hard way right now.

I think you're right about that.  I think one part of the Bills problems late in games is exactly what you say - inexperienced players.  Having a ten-year vet in the huddle calling plays is better than having Edmunds.  Edmunds isn't ready yet to model the right behavior and get others to follow him. And that isn't a knock on Edmunds.  Playersmfeed off of leadership, they gain self confidence seeing the confidence and intensity of their leaders.  

Thanks. Interesting comment. 

Just now, John from Riverside said:

case in point....we CANNOT RUN THE BALL

We led much of this game.....when you have a lead......coaches will want to run the ball to take time off the clock...

I was going to say the same thing. You need a good run game to close games out. Allen is getting worn out and so is the defense. Building the run game next year is arguably just as important as finding receivers that can catch.

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

We were able to do it last year.  Bucs, Raiders, last fish game, and others.  What happened?  Now we're back to finding new ways to lose.  I thought Coach McDermott got us past that which is why we made the playoffs last year.

I also think it's because they (McDermott and Beane) are not really trying to win this year.

I like 808's comment.  I think there's a difference between having Preston Brown in the middle late in games and Tremaine Edmunds.  Two years from now, tremaine will be playing at a level Brown could only dream of, but right now I don't think Edmunds teammates are thinking they have to man up like Tremaine. He just isn't that kind of leader yet. 

"Learning to close out games" isn't a thing.  It's what some football fans discuss.

You know what we needed more of yesterday? Big throws from Josh Allen at key times and fewer turnovers.

Competent special teams play would have gone a long way too. 

We did not capitalize on a lot of good situations and left points on the field throughout the game.

There's nothing to "learn" there per se.  The quality of Bills play needs to impove all over the field.

When it does, I think you'll see that we magically learn how to win.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

I think too , it fall back onto the "Youth" of the Team. in every aspect. The Coaches as well.

But it really showed on Teams. They lost focus twice.

They needed lane discipline and some patience defending the returns.

Gotta charge to the young players. When to play full throttle and attack and when to protect a lead with lower risk calls.

solid point. just not sure the answer. And certainly not the Only issue the team needs to work on. how about they just cut the f 'n penalties in half for starters ?

: )

46 minutes ago, PittsforDave said:

Conservative coaching will put us in positions like this. Hopefully with more talent, this won’t be an issue. 

...we seem to have the same "killer/seal the deal" mentality as we did win the Dickey Jauron era............did NOT work then and won't work now........I hate turtles.....