Has a WR made a great catch this season????

Billsfan1972

29 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

exactly. Takes 2 to complete a throw and catch. And a better WR corps means more complete passes regardless of Allen's accuracy. Every QB needs a WR to bail him out sometimes. Every good offense has 1-3 of that caliber WR.

I've been BEGGING for a good wr these last 2 years. A real top 10 guy. Never KB.

They had one. Watkins was great and Beane traded him away. He made tough catches. He wasn't as good as the draft picks given up to get him but he is the best WR they have had since Moulds. 

• Like (+1) 1

The OP poses an interesting question.   It seems to me there haven't been many (if any) balls that should have been incomplete but the receiver made a great catch.  

There have been plenty of drops though.

Normally,  you'd expect the drops and great catches to more-or-less even out - providing the QB with a fair-enough stat line.  Not so this season.  

20 minutes ago, MDH said:

And Allen doesn’t bail them out with more catchable balls. His placement isn’t great and he only has one throw - bullet! 

Everybody has work to do but people keep wanting to run the WRs into the ground for all their mistakes to give Allen a pass. Everyone realizes that this WR core are all in their 1st or 2nd years, yeah? They’re almost all street FAs too.

The fact that I keep seeing people rip Zay for the “drop” against Miami tells me all O need to know. He was mugged by the DB on that play and if he had managed to still come up with the catch despite the PI it would have been amazing. But somehow not coming up with that catch is a “drop” in some posters minds?

Was it PI???  Maybe and seen it called plenty, but certainly was not a mugging.

Zay made a great play, got both hands on the ball (and underneath) but as per usual with Bills receivers then bobbled it and it was overturned.  

5 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

No they arent

It was a perfect pass and he caught it. Nothing more, nothing less.

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Zay made a pretty one on the sideline recently.

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Robert Foster's 75 yd TD was an awesome catch.  

The fact that these are our standards of "great catch" is kinda sad considering they're pretty routine catches by NFL standards.

The answer is no.

I'm already exhausted by the inevitable ignorance of the national media when it comes to the incredible lack of talent on our WR corps and the "well, that's who Josh Allen is!!!" narrative that's going to come when talking about his completion % and turnovers.

Here's an article, of course a local-based publication, that gets it:

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/10/josh-allen-dazzles-for-buffalo-bills-but-needs-more-around-him-to-shine-new-york-jets-sam-darnold/

Josh Allen dazzles for Bills but needs more around him to shine

Something that stands out though to nearly every fan who’s watched Allen try and work his magic on nearly every play is just how much Allen is able to do with the “weapons” he has. The team’s tight end position has been a non-factor and their receiving core is made up of guys who all haven’t been in Buffalo for more than two seasons. Not to mention, Allen is currently the team’s leading rusher. A lot of that falls on the team’s offensive line. Heading into the contest, Pro Football Focus ranked the Bills’ starting five as the second-worst run-blocking group in the NFL. Their pass-blocking also failed to show on Sunday. In total, Allen was hit 10 times which including three sacks. Standing at a podium following the game, Allen looked defeated and beat up.

From what Allen has had to work with this season, he isn’t exactly working miracles but he’s not far off. On the other side of the field on Sunday, No. 3 overall pick Sam Darnold doesn’t have a fantastic supporting cast, but they sure as heck looked like one compared to Allen’s. In fact, he took zero QB hits in the game and his receiving core is miles ahead of Buffalo’s. Robby Anderson made Tre’Davious White look bad, which is rare.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Neither were great catches.  They were catches. 

I mentioned the Holmes catch as I knew someone would say that.

Zay kept his feet in bounds and congrats that he didn't bobble the ball.

He is paid to make catches like that.

I'm talking a wow catch.

BTW the over-turned catch the last minute vs. the Dolphins was classic Zay.  He made a good play and then bobbled it and it hit the ground. 

Every week you see Thomas on NO, Antonio Bryant, Hill, Hopkins or Julio and countless others making great catches.  

Would be nice to see just one by a Bill.

It’s gotten so bad I find myself saying “wow!” Almost any time anybody catches a ball.....?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Foster had a gem of a leaping grab in New Jersey on a Barkley 50/50 ball, but other than that I can't really remember one.

It's at 5:30 on this video:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/bills-vs-jets-highlights-week-10

It was a nice one for sure with an excellent adjustment made by Foster.  I still wouldn't call it great.  Speaking of Foster, he has made the best in-season progress I can recall from any Bills' player.  The transformation from his 1st stint on the 53 has been striking. Kudos to him and the coaches.

The answer is not really, but the WR group was trash last season and I seem tor recall most people saying receivers were interchangeable and the QB is the only guy who mattered.

Motives aside, clearly the Bills need to add a legit number 1 receiver. I don't think that's much of a revelation.

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Drop after drop and have to ask the question as to has a receiver made a great catch all year?  Don't say Holmes on that 77 yd td as it hit him right in the hands.

I'm talking a catch where the receiver is laid out or caught it with one hand or out-muscled a DB.

I think Holmes did adjust to one ball this year to make a nice catch with the DB tring to bust it up.

As said before, these receivers are just awful.

I don't disagree that our receivers aren't very good, but how relevant is it to not have made crazy, highlight reel catches? 

How much impact on wins and losses do you think that really has?  

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Foster had a gem of a leaping grab in New Jersey on a Barkley 50/50 ball, but other than that I can't really remember one.

It's at 5:30 on this video:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/bills-vs-jets-highlights-week-10

Yep he made an adjustment and made the catch, which is expected when the DB didn't see the pass.  AB make that catch every single week.  

Bills are so beaten down that as another poster stated that just catching the ball one goes "wow"

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

I don't disagree that our receivers aren't very good, but how relevant is it to not have made crazy, highlight reel catches? 

How much impact on wins and losses do you think that really has?  

Really?????  How many TD passes do we see where one is convinced the receiver is OB and then see the footwork.  Happens all the time and often game changers.

Case in point yesterday.  Clay catches that easy pass over the middle & runs for 20 more yards (vs. Allen fumbling the next play) and you don't think it matters?  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yep he made an adjustment and made the catch, which is expected when the DB didn't see the pass.  AB make that catch every single week.  

Bills are so beaten down that as another poster stated that just catching the ball one goes "wow"

The OP asked for a great catch; that was a great catch.

It wasn't an all-time great catch, but it qualifies.

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Yeah, I can agree with that.

I don't think Thieln/Diggs do it multiple times weekly...

together sure. They each have one "tough" catch per game. Sometimes 2.  OBJ, Antonio Brown, AJ Green usually have 1 a week. It's that catch that our receivers don't make to keep the chains moving. Then there's the right in your damn hands Clay type drops that kill drives, along with stupid penalties by our OL. Top receivers rarely drop the easy ones that hit them in the hands with no one around.  We seem to have 3-4 of these per game.

Give Josh 5-7 more completions per game on catchable passes and his numbers look way better. I bet that keeps momentum going, instills confidence and puts 7-14 more points on the board per game. Our WR are a MAJOR problem along with the OL.

Edited by BillsRdue