Jordan Jenkins threatened to kill Dion Dawkins

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

that block made.. absolutely no sense. Why would a tackle go ahead and do that? Super early in the game. Was baffling.

From my experience, and I might be wrong, that was a botched backside scoop zone block. I teach my linemen to high low like that, but its all about timing. You want to cut the guy on the combo block once the other lineman is disengaged. I don't think it was a dirty play, I actually think it was John Miller's fault for not working to the next man. Him staying on Jenkins left Dawkins out to dry. I think it was more timing than anything. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I don't disagree, but I was way more disappointed it the obvious whiff on 4th and inches for the score..... I like them, but both our first rounders have quite a bit of work to do.

Sure. That was obviously a crucial play yesterday.

I just try to switch things around.

If it was Leonard Williams running full bore at Josh Allen who is looking to make a game tying throw, does Williams go for the kill shot?

I 100% think he does, and our rookie LB instead opted to audition to be a matador. 

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

It was a REALLY dirty play. I don’t blame Jenkins at all for being angry. There is no place in the game for that.

I see quarterbacks and RBs do that. I don't know how a professional OT who blocks every down doesn't do that purely by choice to be dirty.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

From my experience, and I might be wrong, that was a botched backside scoop zone block. I teach my linemen to high low like that, but its all about timing. You want to cut the guy on the combo block once the other lineman is disengaged. I don't think it was a dirty play, I actually think it was John Miller's fault for not working to the next man. Him staying on Jenkins left Dawkins out to dry. I think it was more timing than anything. 

It did seem like some sort of design, but it would have been Teller not Miller

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

He tried but failed.  Stupid reason and Anderson should have been flagged at least.

A kicker trying to making a sliding trip tackle on a position player is never going to be a popular move. I’m not surprised they gave him a cheat shot and I can’t say that I blame them. Careers are short in the NFL don’t take the chance of ending one with a cheap shot. Once you do, it’s fair game. 

6 minutes ago, Doc said:

He tried but failed.  Stupid reason and Anderson should have been flagged at least.

He pulled up on the slide tackle as soon as he went in motion. I guess it was instinctual for him but you could tell he had no intention of making contact when he started going down like the.. slowed down considerably.

Don't think that merited any retaliation towards a kicker just making some instinctual soccer slip up (is it even that dangerous in football? Happens every game in soccer tackles) and not trying to connect anyway.

7 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

A kicker trying to making a sliding trip tackle on a position player is never going to be a popular move. I’m not surprised they gave him a cheat shot and I can’t say that I blame them. Careers are short in the NFL don’t take the chance of ending one with a cheap shot. Once you do, it’s fair game. 

He pulled up. If he played enough soccer to instinctually slip up like that (pretty funny how he forgot what sport he was playing) soccer players don't come up short like that. Could have easily made contact if he was actually trying to go through with the slide tackle.

• Like (+1) 1

Meh - Nothing to see here. Jenkins is scrappy and I don't mind that, but the Jets were laying a lot of late lumber out there yesterday and more than a few classless hits. Nothing excuses blindsiding a kicker, or all the late hits for guys that were obviously going out of bounds. Last time we played the Jets they also executed a really dangerous blind-side helmet to helmet hit on Teller. Just cannot dredge up sympathy for these guys.

He just needs to stop whining.

Chop blocks you just have to look out for as a defender and they are used a lot to get a guy off his feet and are only illegal if the defender is already engaged (I confess I did not see the play he was referencing). Now crack-back blocks are another story...

You want to see a really dirty crack-back block... search for a video of Frank Middleton's hit on the Bills' Sam Cowart (a linebacker that I thought was on the path to being one of the better one's the Bills have ever fielded) - pro-bowl bound that year, but he was never the same after that hit, ruptured his achilles trying to get back out there in 2001 - bounced around the league for a while. Truly cost him, but he said he had no hard feelings - not sure I would have felt the same.

10 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

The Jets were already fired up over the Dawkins hit I don’t think they cared if he pulled up or not. It wasn’t a good look for SH. I don’t but that a 10 year pro suddenly forgot what sport he is playing. 

That excuse would fly if he actually tripped him. He didn’t.

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

It was a crappy block, I won’t defend dion in this situation. 

But the Jets were dirty all game long with late hits and cheap shots 

I agree with that.  It's like the kettle calling the pot black.